AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, just getting ready to complete my home theatre after a year of building a new house and spending much of my time on this exciting new venture. The wife and I are in a heated "debate" over anything action (me) and argh...Titanic. So what was the first movie you watched to get the full effect of your new room?

·
Registered
781 Posts
Why not get a list of typical "reference" movies and say that after all your hard work and effort, you want your first experience to be a dvd known to have the highest qualities. Most of the movies on that unofficial list are action/sci-fi anyway (Saving Private Ryan, Star Trek, etc..). This way you can give her a list and say "these are the best options for 'wow' factor - take your pick" and regardless of what she picks, you know you will be in for a good watch.

·
Registered
69 Posts
When I saw the thread title, I was thinking the very first DVD I watched (way back when). After some thinking.... I recalled that was TheWizard of OZ.

However, I am usder the same consideration as you, we are getting very close to the completion of the room, and the topic is started to rise to the front.

I was considering;

King Kong

Jurassic Park

or LOTR

Fortunately my wife is amazing... she loves action adventure cinema, requested we go to 58" for the plasma (over 50").

But... aside from that I think we will have to give the first choice to the kids... I don't think they will wait for the parents to go first.

With that in mind... probably Finding Nemo.

sm

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
I built the room, I got the first choice. The first one I played on the projector was The Matrix. Course, the very first playing was at like 1 am the saturday before Easter sunday on a flat blue painted wall with only the left and right speakers connected. I had just hung the projector and wanted to see it in action. I sat there and watched it on that blue wall for a 10 or 15 minutes and then spent a little while trying to figure out why there was almost no dialogue (Center not connected). Next day, we hung the screen and finished connecting all the speakers and then watched the whole Matrix movie.

Course the room wasn't finished at the time and work really slowed after that. It was either watch a movie or work on the room. So if you want the room finished, don't hang the projector until the very end of the build.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
The first DVD I watched on in my Theater was Snatch. The DVD ever for me would be Stargate.

·
Registered
417 Posts
"The wife and I are in a heated "debate"..."

Be a gentlemen and watch Titanic. After all, you'll have plenty of time to watch all the action movies in your home theater.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Panic Room Superbit is really well done. My wife and I just watched Lord of War last night. It rocked.

·
Registered
733 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winkelmann /forum/post/0

I'll either watch, Crouching Tiger or Sin City.

Sin City might not be the best choice if your using a digital PJ (that's one DARK movie).

My choice would probably be The Last Samurai. Good movie, good audio, good video (both SD and HD). And there's Tom Cruise (turning in a very good performance) for the ladies.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Dam I feel like Harold from Harold and Kumar, the first title I got to watch in the first theater was Sixteen Candles good times.

Saving Privite Ryan, Band of Brothers, Underworld 1,2,3?, Sky Captin.

·
Registered
417 Posts
"Sin City might not be the best choice if your using a digital PJ (that's one DARK movie)."

Guess I'll have to pony up for a bright ass projector... "more cowbell!"

·
Registered
3,995 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winkelmann /forum/post/0

"Sin City might not be the best choice if your using a digital PJ (that's one DARK movie)."

Guess I'll have to pony up for a bright ass projector... "more cowbell!"

The problem with digitals being alluded to would not be remedied by a "bright ass" projector. Rather, the problem is that they cannot reproduce an optimum black level and tend to have a low on/off contrast ratio.

Sin City is difficult for two reasons:

1) Lots of sharp light/dark transitions, meaning that it's a rainbow generator on 1 chip DLPs for people who are prone to seeing rainbows, and

2) A lot of low APL scenes (dark scenes) where a deep black level with a high on/off contrast ratio would be greatly appreciated.

P.S.

The first movie that I watched in my completed theater was the HD DVD of Nacho Libre. It was fun, but you might want to try something else.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I think the first one we watched was afamily movie my son picked out...it was

Lemony Snicketts I believe..

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
When I completed my theater 2 years ago the first movie I pooped in was The Matrix, I didn't have a receiver or speakers but I wanted to see how something would look on my new projector. I watched all the best parts in about 20 minutes, no audio mind you. Once I got everything, the wife and I watched it for real.

We actually watched it again last night, we love that movie.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin12586 /forum/post/0

When I completed my theater 2 years ago the first movie I pooped in was The Matrix

Triumph the Insult Dog says: "The Maxtrix was the Best Movie EVER. . . . . FOR ME TO POOP ON!!!"

P.S.

You might want to clean out the DVD case.

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Many years ago... Apollo 13...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.