AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
I really hope there are a good amount with good blacks for under 3k.
There will be. In 5-7 years or so.

4K is almost a myth at this point. Chip sets which actually support 1080p/60 with 4:4:4 color and HDCP 2.2 are almost non-existent. This means that most UHD televisions aren't actually capable of supporting the UHD formats which are possibly coming down the road.

I'm in no rush for UHD projection. It has such limited content, and nobody seems to be in a rush to put out content. Heck, we've had 1080p as a standard for quite a while now, and most cable companies still deliver broadcast television at 720p or 1080i.

Since it seems that LCD has given up on delivering UHD front projection, that leaves DLP and LCoS as the technologies to be used.
DLP has been unwilling to put out a consumer UHD chip, so until they do so, the market is owned by LCoS.

Sony, JVC, and now Epson.

Very limited product, and very low competition in the UHD arena.

When TI releases UHD DLP chips, then the race to the bottom will begin very quickly. You should expect a UHD DLP model to hit from many manufacturers very quickly as long as there are chip sets available which can handle the UHD formats properly.

That was a big thing when 1080p rolled out. It wasn't the manufacturers not making projectors, it was that there wasn't any video processing which could handle 1080p for a few years after 1080p hit the market. Now there are 1080p processing chips in 19" televisions which cost around 100 bucks.

·
Registered
19,070 Posts
There will be. In 5-7 years or so.

4K is almost a myth at this point. Chip sets which actually support 1080p/60 with 4:4:4 color and HDCP 2.2 are almost non-existent. This means that most UHD televisions aren't actually capable of supporting the UHD formats which are possibly coming down the road.

I'm in no rush for UHD projection. It has such limited content, and nobody seems to be in a rush to put out content. Heck, we've had 1080p as a standard for quite a while now, and most cable companies still deliver broadcast television at 720p or 1080i.

Since it seems that LCD has given up on delivering UHD front projection, that leaves DLP and LCoS as the technologies to be used.
DLP has been unwilling to put out a consumer UHD chip, so until they do so, the market is owned by LCoS.

Sony, JVC, and now Epson.

Very limited product, and very low competition in the UHD arena.

When TI releases UHD DLP chips, then the race to the bottom will begin very quickly. You should expect a UHD DLP model to hit from many manufacturers very quickly as long as there are chip sets available which can handle the UHD formats properly.

That was a big thing when 1080p rolled out. It wasn't the manufacturers not making projectors, it was that there wasn't any video processing which could handle 1080p for a few years after 1080p hit the market. Now there are 1080p processing chips in 19" televisions which cost around 100 bucks.
I agree that it will be a few years before 4K projectors are under $ 5K. However, watching Blu Rays on a 4K projector has advantages now. I can sit much closer to the screen and not see pixel structure. So even without 4K content, 4K projectors have advantages.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts