AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After I cut the cable, I pulled up my TV Fool report:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=f1f083f8def533

Through trial and error, I built the folded-dipole antenna in the thumbnail. Don't laugh. It gives me very good results (See attached table).

My question is about the two in the middle: KUPT*

Will an amplifier bring those in?

The question stems from the trial of a cheap Chinese DVR which had a more sensitive tuner than my TV. Before I sent the DVR back, it actually got a lot more than my TV, with the same un-amplified antenna.

I'm sure I did a poor job of describing this, but any input will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
A single folded dipole can't possibly properly cover both VHF and UHF. The fact that you're getting most of your stations with just that means that a small VHF/UHF antenna should work fine. Take a look at the HBU22 or HD7694P.

It could be that your TV doesn't handle multipath as well as you DVR did and that's the difference. I doubt an amplifier is going to bring in the missing station(s) since signal strength doesn't look to be the issue from your TV Fool report.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Umm... but it does. The only missing stations are 16.x Actually there are more. But If I can resolve those the rest should take care of themselves.
KUPT is just one station. If you receive one 16 sub channel you'll receive them all. You should be able to receive all the stations in the 198° direction. If not then your antenna is not working.

Any piece of wire will act as an antenna and if the signals are strong enough with no significant multipath issues then you'll receive the stations. If not then the next step is an antenna designed to receive the stations you want.

Thoughts on the HBU11? I'm a cheap bastard. :D
There are very small step changes between each antenna. The HBU11 is a small step down from the HBU22. Try whatever you like. I'm sure there are people reading this who think that the HBU22 is too small for stations that are 45 miles away but IMO your TV Fool report says otherwise. There should be a big difference between your random sized dipole and anything in the HBU series. BTW, the HBU11 and the ANT751 are similar. Often on this forum the ANT751 is recommended for people within 20 miles of the transmitters.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I have the RCA ANT751. It's a decent performer, not the best, but okay for where I live. The HBU11 looks like the exact same design. So if I were to give an evaluation of the HBU11 based on the ANT751's performance, I would say UHF is marginal, high-VHF is good. It is directional though, and it looks like you have channels in a couple different directions. But that may not be a problem. Your signal strengths look good. A pre-amp would probably help, but I wouldn't expect much of any improvement. I use a distribution amplifier, and the whole purpose of that is to route the signal to 4 different TVs without a reduction in signal. It doesn't improve the signal, just keeps it the same once it's split. By the way, the most sensitive tuner I have is the Insignia NS-DXA1. The Zenith DTT901 is also the exact same tuner. They're excellent at handling multipath, but they're not high-definition tuners.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There should be a big difference between your random sized dipole and anything in the HBU series. BTW, the HBU11 and the ANT751 are similar. Often on this forum the ANT751 is recommended for people within 20 miles of the transmitters.
It's not random. It was very finely tuned by trimming in quarter-inch increments while observing the effect on a Samsung precision signal strength meter.

The difference between the HBU11 ($22) and ANT751 ($55) are price. I don't see an obvious reason why. Otherwise, I agree that they look like the same antenna.

So I was about to pull the trigger on an HBU11 when I reminded myself -

What I have works. What isn't working is the tuner in the TV. I should be able to find a converter box easily. Unless they're all in the landfills. With one of those I should be able get a better idea how the dipole is performing. Yes?

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
It's not random. It was very finely tuned by trimming in quarter-inch increments while observing the effect on a Samsung precision signal strength meter.

The difference between the HBU11 ($22) and ANT751 ($55) are price. I don't see an obvious reason why. Otherwise, I agree that they look like the same antenna.

So I was about to pull the trigger on an HBU11 when I reminded myself -

What I have works. What isn't working is the tuner in the TV. I should be able to find a converter box easily. Unless they're all in the landfills. With one of those I should be able get a better idea how the dipole is performing. Yes?
Yes, I actually think using a different tuner could help quite a bit. Like I said, the Insignia NS-DXA1 or Zenith DTT901 (the same tuner, different names) will give improved reception and better multipath handling. You can still find these on eBay and other sites. I had the RCA ANT751 inside my garage with aluminum siding, and the tuner still picked up weaker channels that my other built-in TV tuners couldn't. I also use this tuner to DX distant stations during tropospheric ducting because it allows you to manually enter a physical channel number. This tuner is also recommended by the World TV-FM DX Association.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This tuner is also recommended by the World TV-FM DX Association.
I take that as high praise. They seem to be in demand too, judging by the asking prices. HDMI would be the icing on the cake, but I've got several on my "Watch" list.

Thanks, Andrew.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts