AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, they're finally coming out with 1920 x 1080 projectors. (very nice) When they hit the market I will be upgrading. But what to get? I have a faroudja NRS 720p now with no DVI, I have the pioneer DV-09 DVD player with no DVI and finally I have a Sony 10ht pj with no DVI. I want to upgrade all of them. (A pure 1920x1080 digital path) Obiviously a projector recommendation is a little premature, though I have a feeling the sony SXRD technology should be pretty great. Question is, what scaler and DVD player should I get. Just a quick note, the faroudja NRS-DCS is out of my price range. Please, if any of you know a great combination that will do serious justice to a future native HD pj, give me the info!!

Thanks very much for the advice,

Marc

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Marc,

I think it is a little early to talk about scalers for more than one reason. First we don't know how good the internal scaling will be. With a DVI DVD player feeding 480i and letting the projector do everything you might be happy. For 1080i (HD-DVD or from other sources) material you won't need scaling. Also, by the time these 1920x1080 projectors are released we could have very different external processors than we have right now.

--Darin

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Marc, you may also want to see how good these 1920 x 1080 projectors actually look. But if they look nice I do know that the centerstage products can output 1920 x 1080P.

·
Registered
6,525 Posts
HTPC is always a natural...

and like Darin says...as long as that signal is going from your DVD player to your projector digitally...if the PJ has decent scaling (and even deinterlacing) the results could look stunning just digitally feeding a 480 signal to the PJ.

DVI does not necessarily mean "1:1 pixel mapping". It could involve scaling and other processing taking place in the projector depending on design and implimentation.

All questions we'll have to wait to answer!

-dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.