AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 94" projection screen living room/game room/ home theater.

I have an Onkyo 600 HTIB which includes a 5.1 onkyo speaker set and an Onkyo SR304B receiver.

I have been really happy with it, but I am wondering what is the best route to upgrade my system.

I have it hooked up to:

Comcast HD box via coaxial digital and component cables

HD-A3 via optical and hdmi going to the projector (rarely used anymore)

HD HTPC (BD and HD DVD) connected via 6 channel analog with the software decoding DD+, DTS, TrueHD, and DTS-MA. I did a side by side test and I found the analog sounded better than the optical out on the HTPC.

So upgrading to a 605 will not get me the use of more codecs as my HTPC is already decoding it. And from what I have read analog is usually easier after you consider handshake problems and an occasion lag at the beginning in sound processing from an HTPC.

So here is my question. Will a 575/604 or 605 convert the audio to the speakers better than my 304 or am I better off just getting better speaker?

Also, I want to stay with 5.1 for now. I don't have the landscape to setup 7 and most of the HDM I have watched is only 6 channel anyway.

·
Registered
30,800 Posts
Generally, speaker (and room) changes are the most significant in terms of audible results. That said, your SR304B somewhat limits your choice of speakers in terms of power output.

BTW, comparing the 6 channel analog with optical is not fair since the latter is limited to 2 channels or compressed/lossy audio and the former can handle the lossless without compression.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Well I would do speakers first. You need to first have the ability to discern differences in electronics, and without the speakers to do so the issue is moot.

If you are looking for a feature set improvement, then obviously a receiver is your choice. Honestly though I would always recommend investing as much as your budget allows in quality speakers first. Unless you abuse them, even your HTIB receiver might drive them OK initially. Plus, good speakers never really become obsolete like electronics can.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
Wouldnt adding acoustical treatments be the #1 step to a better system? Then he can go with speakers, equipment and so on.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
They probably would, but it depends on how much he wants to spend (given he mentioned the receivers, probably in the neighborhood of $600 or so) and whether he can make changes to the room.

Also, going from Onkyo cheapo speakers to something substantial would make a pretty big difference, too. Speaking as someone who went from Onkyos to something substantial.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
When we allocate speaker budgets- do we factor in subwoofers?

·
Registered
6,946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboyz /forum/post/14169632

Six of one, half-dozen of another, isn't it?

In other words, if you're going to buy a sub, it has to go in budget somewhere. So, does it really matter if it gets lumped in with speakers or in some other category?

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboyz /forum/post/14169632

I am not to worried about the sub. And I will stick with the analog outs via the HTPC to the receiver regardless of whether I upgrade. From what I understand, it is hard to really any difference between them given a decent reciever.

I live in a condo so my options for sound proofing and all are limited.... but the room where my theater is in pretty closed off with only two windows with black out curtains. I really don't want to redecorate as I already have it where I want it.. here is a layout of the system as of right now.

primarily, It is myself and my two kids.... and our cat who watches the movies too (I know its strange). Sometimes we will have guests over so the number grom from 3.5 to 5-8.

I keep the sub pretty low anyway as to not upset my neighbors. I am look more for the little things like rustling of leaves and the subtle details and not so much a "boom"

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
I like your "current" location for the front speakers and the "proposed" placement for the surround speakers

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Klipsch Quintet SL 5-piece Home Theater Speaker System

here is the link on best buy

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1176507037737

alot of times I wil see speakers from Klipsch that seem pretty good. they usually run about $150-$200 for a pair. this set had all but the sub for $429 during a wootoff.

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Also, someone mentioned that I should have the surrounds facing perpendicular to the screen. Is this correct?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts