AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like many on this site, I dropped my cable several years ago to get the glorious Sat. analog and HDTV broadcasts. My cable here in LA was Cablevision (since bought by TW). The picture was so bad, mostly from connecting wire interference and line noise "on the street", at times it was unwatchable.

Should we expect any improvement over their lines to receive a crystal clear signal in HDTV, when and if the purported HD revolution happens on cable, January 1, 2003? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
762 Posts
I have HDTV cable through Comcast and it looks great. In the past, I was switching back and forth between HD-HBO on Comcast and DTV and it looked the same to my eye while viewing several different movies (upconvert and 1080i). Hope this helps.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Frankly I'm hoping for cable availability in my area soon. For some reason, I have an inordinate amount of trouble receiving the local ABC affiliate on my DISH 6000. Sometimes I get it , sometimes I don't. Every other channel comes in perfectly 99% of the time with my outside antenna. When cable comes with HDTV, I'll probably sign up.

Regards,

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I second that..

Quote:
Originally posted by trafter
Frankly I'm hoping for cable availability in my area soon. For some reason, I have an inordinate amount of trouble receiving the local ABC affiliate on my DISH 6000. Sometimes I get it , sometimes I don't. Every other channel comes in perfectly 99% of the time with my outside antenna. When cable comes with HDTV, I'll probably sign up.

Regards,

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ripster
The picture was so bad, mostly from connecting wire interference and line noise "on the street", at times it was unwatchable.

Should we expect any improvement over their lines to receive a crystal clear signal in HDTV, when and if the purported HD revolution happens on cable, January 1, 2003? :rolleyes:
Tremendous differences is signal quality exist between cable companies. With fiber upgrades, which boost cable-system bandwidths to 750 MHz or more, many coaxial-cable noise-producing, signal-distorting amplifiers can be eliminated. If you're on a fiber-upgraded system and not getting excellent images, you should pester customer support until they're corrected.

HDTV signals on cable, it appears so far, are being passed along as received. Using both cable and OTA HDTV here, I find one cable advantage is signal stability. There's practically none of the multipath glitches I encounter OTA. A disadvantage is that my converter, a vintage Scientific Atlanta 2000HD, seems to diminish 1080i fidelity just slightly ( my 7/31/01 2:10 pm post ). Newer HDTV cable converters, hopefully, could eliminate this. (That's a converter problem, not cable's 256 QAM delivery versus OTA's 8-VSB.) While some cable companies and their national association seemingly support Powell's FCC urging they carry at least 5 HDTV cable channels, only new channel announcements will confirm it. -- John

·
Premium Member
7,203 Posts
I have TWC in NYC and via an SA2000HD box HD looks, well, variable. It can look amazing (some of the true 1080i stuff over HBO for example), very good (some of the uprezzed stuff on SHO) or just ok (480i upconverts).

TM

·
Registered
61 Posts
HDTV on Cable looks great here in Central Florida. We have HBO, Showtime, local NBC, CBS, ABC, WB, Fox, and national PBS. These locals pass along all of the HD feeds that are provided by the respective network.

Rob

·
Registered
61 Posts
HDTV on Cable looks great here in Central Florida. We have HBO, Showtime, local NBC, CBS, ABC, WB, Fox, and national PBS. These locals pass along all of the D feeds that are provided by the respective network.

Rob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.