Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I want an Equipment Rack with a smoke glass door that I will build into the wall and access it from a door behind the rack. I have noticed that some here have recommended Middle Atlantic , but they list no prices on their web site. What might I expect to pay for this type of rack?

Don

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Frank,

I have never seen an Equipment Rack (except for the online images), so I don't know how they are set up. Can you use plywood for the shelves and just paint them black? Or are

Equipment Racks set up in such a way where you can only use original Equipment Rack shelves?

Don

·
Registered
185 Posts
I just ordered a MA wrk-24-27 "24 space" inwall rack. The racks work like this: each HT component you have is measued in "spaces." My Meridian processor is "3" spaces; surround amp 3 spaces; DVD 3 spaces; video processor "2" spaces etc. until I use up 24 spaces. You can get this model rack with 24, 37, 40 or 44 "spaces." All component face plates are laser cut to 1/32" to fit the individual components. My entire rack cost $1191. A custom HT installer wanted to charge me $3074. Instead, I called MA and they set me up with a local distributor in Salt Lake and I saved $1800! The distributor even gave me a MA catalog with all their products. Good luck. Gary "I know jacksquat" Carter

http://www.middleatlantic.com

·
Registered
194 Posts
Don,

I have never tried to make a wood shelf for the Middle Atlantic rack. The rack is based on what they call rack spaces. Each rack space is 1.75 inches tall. Middle Atlantic sells (or can make) the custom faceplates for your particular equipment. MA also offers generic rackshelves without the custom faceplate if cost becomes a factor.

Frank

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
You can also build your own in-wall racks from Melemime or even 3/4in plywood. The strength is provided by the wall studs. The rails are available from Mid Atlantic as well. Since they are being built in, the box can be fabricated with portable power tools. I have three, the first two utilize Melemine shelf stock with the row of holes. For non-rackmount eqiupment I simply made Melemime shelves and glued a 3/4 strip of rounded oak to the front. If true rack mounting is required, I simply install rails in that section or in the case of my second rack, the whole legnth.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for the kind help. You have given me some great ideas. I like Jim Mc and Steve's self made racks, they both look as good as any expensive rack:D. I will probably do something like theirs and then decide if I want to have a smoked glass door made or not. What are your thoughts on the door, would there be any reason not to have a door, besides the fact there would be more heat build-up in the cabinet?

Don

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by starscomeout
decide if I want to have a smoked glass door made or not. What are your thoughts on the door, would there be any reason not to have a door, besides the fact there would be more heat build-up in the cabinet?

Don
The door is a good idea for noise, but yes you need to get rid of the heat somehow. I have 5, yes five, rackmount PC's in one of my HT racks. These have stock fan arrangements. I don't have a noise problem in the room because of my plexiglass door. It really cuts the noise.

For venilation consider remote bathroom fans. These are placed in another room (or in the attic) and use dryer hose to the vents. They can easily be adapted to exhaust an HT rack.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.