AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking of adding a second GTX 260 216 to my rig for sli, mine is the XFX Black edition....but I think I can put any other260 card in there, correct, and it will simply run the SLI pair at the slower of the 2 cards speeds correct?

I guess if the card is in the $200 its about as good a deal as buying an ATI 5870 at like $400 bucks...(Since I spent $200 on the black the first time around).

As 260sli ~ 5870 no?

·
Registered
19,124 Posts
I wouldn't bother going the SLI route at this point, there are much better options. These cards are at a premium now because nvidia is phasing them out. Tomorrow nvidia is making an announcement about their future plans- you should wait and see what's up before spending more money.

·
Registered
10,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good Point....probably best to see what Nvidia is going to charge for the new tech, put mine on the block and see what else is worth picking up.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
As you know I like Nvidia cards but as DaveFi says wait. Right now its not worth throwing $200 at a 2nd 260 for SLI. Esp when it does not support DX11. But if you had to buy it right now I would get a 5870 even tho it has some problems (some artifacting and hang/lock ups) esp with ATI driver support for some games.

·
Registered
19,124 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quidam67 /forum/post/18191195

I think the horizon looks very ominous for nVidia's new generation of cards

http://www.semiaccurate.com/2010/02/...and-unfixable/

I'm predicting this generation is going to be a 1 horse race featuring AMD.

On the one hand it's great to see AMD have done so well with their 5 series cards (and it was not by chance or luck) on the other hand a lack of competition is never a good thing

We already covered that. There is no proof whether or not there is any truth to that article (see "ATI" many times all over his website) and he makes no claims as to what his aforementioned "sources" are.

Regardless, as I posted in another article nvidia announced yesterday that March 26th will be the launch date for the Fermi cards, so it might be total BS or not, we will just have to wait and see.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
From other non Nvidia hater sources I am not holding my breath for early release of FERMI at a an affordable price. Looks like when its release it will be on strict allocation and that mean over inflated pricing (295 all over again). Looks like MSI maybe one of the 1st to release the 480/470 cards from my sources that had an meeting with Nvidia/partners in LA last week.

With that, I just added another 5870 to my sim race rig.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I said it's looking ominous, and I think the article is rational and detailed enough to back up a statement like that.

Also, if you take a closer look at the challenges AMD faced with the move to 40nanometer and how they leverged off their learnings from the 4770 you can appreciate the impotrance of a chip-design that is able to mitigate and circumvent the low yields. There does not appear to be any evidence that nVidia has had any similar learning curve with which they were than able to alter their design from.

Time will tell, but I will be surprised if these new cards are competitive

·
Registered
4,981 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quidam67 /forum/post/18191938

Time will tell, but I will be surprised if these new cards are competitive

Competitive, performance wise yes but better pricing is really up in the air. If it comes in better then then the 5870 and lower then the 5970 then I am guessing the pricing will be around ~$450-500. If its faster the the 5970 (doubtful) then the pricing would be ~$650-700.

·
Registered
19,124 Posts
I doubt I will shell out that kind of cash for a MSI product because their warranty coverage sucks. 2yrs from manufacture of product- not even from purchase date. Yuck.

EVGA or BFG exclusively for me these days, with their built in upgrade and lifetime warranty coverage (BFG=10yrs, same thing).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts