AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
4,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, obviously we have the xbox 360 and the Xbox Core. But there WILL be more models down the road.

Eventually there will probably be an XBOX HDDVD 360 and possibly other models.

As it stands right now many of you missed all of the hints MS execs gave that there would be variations on the standard Xbox 360.

Here's an old interview with Steve Ballmer from May at Engadget to refresh your memories:
http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000597043723/

·
Registered
544 Posts
I'm not too worried. They aren't going to isolate the early adopters by releasing a new version down the line that plays games better in some way. At most it will just provide HD-DVD/Blu-ray movie playback.

Then maybe another version with a larger hard drive and some goodies bundled but the console's functionality will remain the same for all of the different versions.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Blu-ray is likely going to win in the HD media wars so the addition of a HD-DVD drive for movies doesn't bother me in the least. The fact that HD-DVD can be used as extra capacity for games sounds great until you realize that no developer would take advantage of the format for games after several million Xbox 360s have already shipped with standard DVD drives.

More than likely any new models will be transparent to consumers. Cheaper to produce models that help Microsoft drive costs down but appear identical to the end user.

Of course, an all-out PC replacement model could be a possiblity (as was rumored a year or so ago) but that won't change the core functionality (gaming) in the least.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I personally would like to see, and expect to see, Blu-ray succeed. Therefor, the assumed HD-DVD playback capability of future Xbox 360 versions is not very appealing to me. I forsee the PS3 providing me with my next-gen pre-recorded playback ability.

·
Banned
13,980 Posts
"What will some of you do when ANOTHER 360 is announced? "

probably nothing as I'll most likely have a 360 by then but if I didn't it would really depend on the price difference and what they chose to go with. I doubt many developers would use the higher capacity advantage that the HD-DVD/Blu-Ray have over DVD's as millions of xbox's will most likely already have been sold.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I think the next big backlash from Xbox fans will be when the Xbox360 is released and doesn't play "their" favorite game in backward compatibility mode. Mark my words, the day after release you will see posts like "WHY THE %^*(# DOESN'T XBOX360 PLaY NINJA GAIDEN... M$$$$$ PROMISED!!!"

Regarding the multiple skews, it has to be expected. Think about the capabilities of past consoles:

SNES - just played games

PS1 - played games and music CDs

XBOX/PS2 - plays games, DVDs, CD, lets you rip CDs to the drive, and play online

XBOX360 - plays games, DVDs, CD, WMV-HD DVDs, lets you rip CDs to the drive, play online, send messages to friends playing other games watching dvds etc, online spectator mode, connects to media center PC to stream pictures, movies, recorded HDTV, and music; supports 3 different output resolutions; online marketplace; wireless controllers; connects to iPod, PSP, other portable music player; and probably some other things I am forgetting about.

PS3 - SUPERCOMPUTER FOR THE HOME! :) Supposedly everything promised for Xbox 360 + Bluray and a 3 port wireless gig ethernet switch, dual HDMI, and support for every form of flash media and IO interconnect available.

Not every customer is going to want (or be able) to do all of those things so it makes sense to have different skews to meed differing needs. I am sure a scaled down PS3 sans all the extra ports would also do well.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Meh. The main reason I want a 360 now is for the high def gaming...unless bluray somehow dies a horrid death (which I honestly don't see how it could), I'm doubting I'd get a new one with an HD DVD drive...unless games start coming on that format and can only be used on the new ones...that would certainly piss off a lot of people. But they wouldn't do that. That would be like console suicide.

·
Banned
4,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All excellent points. Of course the reason I brought this up was because of some of the complaints lately are directed at the fact that you can buy the Core Model AND a 360. The fact of the matter is that all of the models will still play games and it isn't as if they are going to release a system that plays games BETTER.

It's a matter of features. The next question is whether or not anyone would be upset with Sony if they released a unit for $100 less without Blu-ray, or withoud a hard drive. t's already been stated that the Hard drive is not for games anyway so Sony could actually do the same thing.

I personally think this needs to be about the games first and the features second but give us those choices. I'm glad that electronics stores carry at least a dozen different DVD players with a variety of features. Ultimately I want to play DVD's in the end and that is what the next Xbox system is going to do.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Martin
It's a matter of features. The next question is whether or not anyone would be upset with Sony if they released a unit for $100 less without Blu-ray, or withoud a hard drive. t's already been stated that the Hard drive is not for games anyway so Sony could actually do the same thing.
I think Sony announced during E3 that the hard drive was most likely going to be optional. Most gaming magazines/websites believe that as well. Also I think the only magazine that has stated that the PS3 would not use the hard drive for games was this September's PSM article . Which also believes that the amount of system memory in the PS3 will be increased. Personally I am wary of believing any of the rumors that PSM has made about the PS3. As for the Blu-ray drive Sony has already announced that it is in console, which can be seen in this press release .

·
Banned
4,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Paul
I think Sony announced during E3 that the hard drive was most likely going to be optional. Most gaming magazines/websites believe that as well. Also I think the only magazine that has stated that the PS3 would not use the hard drive for games was this September's PSM article . Which also believes that the amount of system memory in the PS3 will be increased. Personally I am wary of believing any of the rumors that PSM has made about the PS3. As for the Blu-ray drive Sony has already announced that it is in console, which can be seen in this press release .
As the HDD and other features should be. Good for MS, and good for Sony. If they woudl start to listen to consumers, and t seems they are, we all benefit. Now if only Nintendo would follow suit they wouldn't be dead last in terms of console sales.

·
Registered
226 Posts
MS should have the Core pack, the Premium pack, and then name the HD-DVD version simply 'Xbox360'!

Then they release a press release that says "Every 'Xbox 360' includes an HD-DVD drive"!!!

:D :D :D :D

·
Banned
4,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmfdm515
MS should have the Core pack, the Premium pack, and then name the HD-DVD version simply 'Xbox360'!

Then they release a press release that says "Every 'Xbox 360' includes an HD-DVD drive"!!!

:D :D :D :D
I know you're kidding but the 'premium pack' as you call it is already simply called "XBOX 360". Look at xbox.com to see.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Quote:
I know you're kidding but the 'premium pack' as you call it is already simply called "XBOX 360". Look at xbox.com to see.
Yeah, that was the basis for the joke...the whole "every Xbox 360 has a hard drive!" sillyness.

·
Banned
4,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Yeah, that was the basis for the joke...the whole "every Xbox 360 has a hard drive!" sillyness.
But really, the joke doesn't work since they would actually have to change the name. I mean, I get where you are going but it isn't really silly.

Look at it this way:

If Mercedes released 2 vehicles a 500 and 500i, they both drive, they both have engines, seats steering wheels etc. they both do exactly the same things but the i model has onstar, GPS and other computer type functions.

Your only complaint is that some sort of promise was not fufilled. The only way it could be fufilled is to not offer the other model and I guess the question is why would you want to limit the choice for others because of the word 'every'. What would be the point?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Quote:
I mean, I get where you are going but it isn't really silly.
If you're suggesting that it isn't silly for people to still say that every 360 has a HDD because of MS's naming conventions...then I'll just have to respectfully disagree. No more analogies are going to change that.

·
Banned
4,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
If you're suggesting that it isn't silly for people to still say that every 360 has a HDD because of MS's naming conventions...then I'll just have to respectfully disagree. No more analogies are going to change that.
Aww come on, how about one more.

I own a fruit stand and I offer a granny smith apple comes with a banana.

On my sign outside it says every granny smith apple comes with a banana standard.

You come in and want a golden delicious apple. Now never having heard of the various varieties or names of apples you just view an apple as an apple.

You complain to the manager and say, 'your sign says every apple comes with a banana". The manager explains those are granny smith apples that come with the banana. You complain merely on the basis of the sign. You don't really care about the apples you just really want the banana.

The manager then explains that there is also a special for Golden delicious apples that come with a banana but it's 50 cents more.

http://images.fotki.com/v1/photos/2/...564/rd2-vi.jpg

·
Registered
226 Posts
Quote:
Aww come on, how about one more.

I own a fruit stand and I offer a granny smith apple comes with a banana.

On my sign outside it says every granny smith apple comes with a banana standard.

You come in and want a golden delicious apple. Now never having heard of the various varieties or names of apples you just view an apple as an apple.

You complain to the manager and say, 'your sign says every apple comes with a banana". The manager explains those are granny smith apples that come with the banana. You complain merely on the basis of the sign. You don't really care about the apples you just really want the banana.

The manager then explains that there is also a special for Golden delicious apples that come with a banana but it's 50 cents more.

http://images.fotki.com/v1/photos/2/...564/rd2-vi.jpg
Was this meant as a joke? I can't really tell because it's neither funny nor relevant.

Still, none of that changes the fact that it's silly to go around and still say that 'every 360 comes with a HDD'.

Hey Dean no offense, but silly naming conventions aside, none of your analogies really even relate to this situation because it's not as simple as paying for a HDD and getting the same experience as you would have if it was standard in all 360's. For you, maybe...but a large portion of us are trying to explain that developer support for the HDD will never be what it was if it was standard. It may be decent, it may even be more than expected...but it will never be 100% of what it would have been had the HDD been standard in every 360 sold. Some developers decide to always cater to the lowest common denominator, that isn't going to change.

Anyway...if you want to continue to say 'every Xbox 360 comes with a HDD', then it's your prerogative....it's still deliberate BS by MS.

What will be amusing is waiting to see how MS markets the 360 price...I can't imagine it would be anything other than "Xbox 360...starting at $299". Wait, I thought the core pack wasn't the 'Xbox 360'??? So which is it...Xbox 360 at $299, or every Xbox 360 comes with a HDD?

It's just nonsensical marketing mumbo-jumbo.

·
Banned
13,980 Posts
Quote:
Was this meant as a joke? I can't really tell because it's neither funny nor relevant.

Still, none of that changes the fact that it's silly to go around and still say that 'every 360 comes with a HDD'.

Hey Dean no offense, but silly naming conventions aside, none of your analogies really even relate to this situation because it's not as simple as paying for a HDD and getting the same experience as you would have if it was standard in all 360's. For you, maybe...but a large portion of us are trying to explain that developer support for the HDD will never be what it was if it was standard. It may be decent, it may even be more than expected...but it will never be 100% of what it would have been had the HDD been standard in every 360 sold. Some developers decide to always cater to the lowest common denominator, that isn't going to change.

Anyway...if you want to continue to say 'every Xbox 360 comes with a HDD', then it's your prerogative....it's still deliberate BS by MS.

What will be amusing is waiting to see how MS markets the 360 price...I can't imagine it would be anything other than "Xbox 360...starting at $299". Wait, I thought the core pack wasn't the 'Xbox 360'??? So which is it...Xbox 360 at $299, or every Xbox 360 comes with a HDD?

It's just nonsensical marketing mumbo-jumbo.
exactly..

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.