AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have and older Netgear N WNR2000 and it's range is 'ok' but i'm figuring with progress made in the last 2yrs there's some significant improvements out there. What would you guys suggest as a replacement OR would you add an extender or addl access point instead?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I recently added a Linksys E3000, and while it is probably overkill, we

·
Registered
942 Posts
After my Linksys bit the dust this past summer after 3 years, I went with a Cisco Valet Plus and very happy with it so far.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem13
Have and older Netgear N WNR2000 and it's range is 'ok' but i'm figuring with progress made in the last 2yrs there's some significant improvements out there. What would you guys suggest as a replacement OR would you add an extender or addl access point instead?
The 3500 is pretty good using open source.

WNR3500L & Tomato/DD-WRT
http://www.myopenrouter.com/

·
Registered
833 Posts
Wndr3700 has workwed flawless for me for many months now , not cheap , but worth the investment...

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
All I can say is to look for open firmware support.

I recently upgraded to an ASUS b/g router with USB support. I went with a "g" router because I don't transfer files on wifi (Internet only) and wanted rock solid VLAN support. I now have a segregated network along with multiple BSSIDs, VPN authentication and a print server that absolutely never needs a reboot and the range is very good. I'm using DD-WRT.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by video321
All I can say is to look for open firmware support.

I recently upgraded to an ASUS b/g router with USB support. I went with a "g" router because I don't transfer files on wifi (Internet only) and wanted rock solid VLAN support. I now have a segregated network along with multiple BSSIDs, VPN authentication and a print server that absolutely never needs a reboot and the range is very good. I'm using DD-WRT.
I'm running DD-WRT right now as well. Neat Stuff.

I Need to step up to gigabit and want to step up to Wireless N.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
wndr3700 here, can't fault it. Rock solid reliability & performance. Loving the dual band/dual radio/guest network setup.

I've used/configured apple wifi products and while they were the best I don't own any.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Has there been any mention about a v2 of the netgear 3700? I read a router shootout on gizmodo a while back and they recommended this router, but also I thought mention of a possible update coming soon.

·
Registered
20,912 Posts
That's one of the.best fated roters, but you'll pay for it
personally Im using the linkage wrt400n and couldn't be happier. It rodent have Gb ethernet or usb, but I don't need either right now.

·
Registered
237 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizuno21 /forum/post/19551111

I'm debating the e3000 and netgear WNDR3700. Neither are exactly what I'm looking for but (for example the netgear is missing printer support) but seem to be the 2 leaders that I've found. Would like to hear others opinions on high end routers.

The new Netgear WNDR3700 V2 is "close" to being released. Look for it in the next 1-2 months. It's going to be a big improvement over the current one, which gets arguably the best reviews of any pro-sumer router.

Just wanted to give you a heads up, as it would stink to get something and have something better right around the corner.

·
Registered
439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem13 /forum/post/19556833

Is it neccessary to 'replace' my current wireless router or since i have another wired access point on the ground floor to simply add a 'wireless extender' down there?

If you are staying on G, buy a linksys wtr54 for $15. Flash it for free with dd-wrt, and set it up as a repeater or repeater bridge if necessary. Easy as Sunday morning.

·
Registered
439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavySeal /forum/post/19554182

The new Netgear WNDR3700 V2 is "close" to being released. Look for it in the next 1-2 months. It's going to be a big improvement over the current one, which gets arguably the best reviews of any pro-sumer router.

Just wanted to give you a heads up, as it would stink to get something and have something better right around the corner.

10-4. Thanks for that info. Have you seen anything in print on the specs for the new model?

·
Registered
237 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizuno21 /forum/post/19558652

10-4. Thanks for that info. Have you seen anything in print on the specs for the new model?

I gathered my information from a Netgear rep that posted on a different forum. I can't for the life of me find it right now. Also a beta tester posted info about 2 months ago but it has been removed.

It is supposed to have nearly double the range (while maintaining the same great speeds) and double the internal memory. There are obviously other additions and fixes but I can't find the damn post.

It was originally sched. to be out in October..the word is it's close to release.

there are some posts in the Netgear forums about it as well.

good luck!

·
Registered
439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavySeal /forum/post/19559138

I gathered my information from a Netgear rep that posted on a different forum. I can't for the life of me find it right now. Also a beta tester posted info about 2 months ago but it has been removed.

It is supposed to have nearly double the range (while maintaining the same great speeds) and double the internal memory. There are obviously other additions and fixes but I can't find the damn post.

It was originally sched. to be out in October..the word is it's close to release.

there are some posts in the Netgear forums about it as well.

good luck!

All sounds good. Off to find what I can. I'll post what I come up with.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.