AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had all but decided on buying a digital projector, but my wife is sensitive to DLP rainbows/strain so am looking into an LCD projector. I had not considered CRT originally, but after reading a good article in a home theater magazine am reconsidering. I had always assumed that CRT set ups were very expensive, but notice a lot of potential good deals on the HT marketplace...problem is that there are so many models and all my research to date had been on digital units. Any help pointing me in the right direction in terms of recommended models and ballpark price estimate would be greatly appreciated.

· Registered
401 Posts
Your best bet for a happy experience and a happy wife is to spend around $3-$4k for a tested and supported system from one of the guys around here.

You definately want an 8" projector with electromagnetic focus. Checkout the following:

Sony G70, Barco G808, 1208/2, Electrohome Marquee 8500, NEC XG135.

I like the Barcos because they are easy to work with and they are quiet, but they are, however, big.

· Registered
3,385 Posts
If "happy wife" requires "way less than $3-$4k" (like me!), then you probably won't be able to get one of those nice sets from Curt or Doug or whoever.

You can still get some perfectly nice, serviced & warranteed sets from Curt &etc for much less, if you're willing to accept a less high-zoot model. And all of these should still kick any LCD's behind. Curt has Sony 1031's, ECP 4101's, Barco Data 800's, even a Barco Graphics 801s for $1000 or less -- sometimes much less.

Or you can be brave and buy one used from another HT fan. You have less idea what shape it's going to be in, and you should be prepared to do more do-it-yourself configuration on it. If you're willing to do that, and poke around a bit, you can often get outstanding deals. I recently snagged an XG 852 with almost-clean tubes for about $500. On the other hand, I've had it for a month and I still haven't hung it, because I'm still trying to figure out how to un-do the screwup I did to the configuration when I first got it....

Depends if you want to buy it, hang it, and watch a movie, or if you want this to be an ongoing "hobby."

Gary

· Registered
3,895 Posts
There are lots of hobby sellers too, who while they don't offer a formal warranty, are helpful if something goes wrong, and sell good projectors for less than the pro's. If you are the type who likes to decline the undercoating, and extended warranties, you can still buy a top line EM focus projector for less than $3k, just without the warranty.

· Banned
3,126 Posts
Do not forget all the "extras" that you might need :

HTPC

Momitsu

Extron

HD Sat receiver with RGB out

Cables

Screen

Black curtain (very necessary)

Loungers (with cup holders)

-did I mention cables

a "forgiving" wife

2nd mortgage

· Registered
268 Posts
I put an entire Sony 1271 setup up for under a grand.

You can pick up a medium hour 1271 for about $700

Then spend about a hundred on a 1.0 gain screen, then the other $200 on transcoders and cables and what-not.

I wouldn't go spending the initial 4 grand on your first PJ.

A projector is nothing without the Theater Room.

My personal experience is that people usualy find themselves adding a nice screen with curtains around it, then a nice sofa or lounge chair, then speakers to match the room.

If you blow all the cash on the projector, then what is left for the room?

I'd rather have a used car with a navagation system, CD changer, and leather seats; than a new car with manual windows.

· Registered
5,548 Posts
" What would a decent used CRT set up cost me?"

Realistically somewhere between $1000 to $2000 can get you a nice setup. Spending plenty more is always an option too.

I just sold my Sony 1271 with great CRTs (1717 hours) and a load of extras for $900. That included the ceiling mount, PC-1271 switcher+cable, IR remote, Anvil road case and even an NOS CRT tube. That also had an IFB-12 input card which can be configured to take progressive component into the Sony directly. If you have a progressive scan DVD player already the above would have been pretty much everything needed except for a screen. Either build one for under $100 or buy one for $150 and higher (can go MUCH higher).

Without the IFB-12 or if you have multiple sources you would want to add a line doubler or a scaler to the above. A basic used iScan can be had for around $200. If you want a little more control a scaler like an older Focus Enhancements QuadScan Pro would be $300-500... or for a little more then that look for a used FE CS-1 or CS-2 or any of the Lumagens which would really let you dial in the sweet spot of the projector.

Shawn

· Registered
3,137 Posts
Bchav,

Shoot me an email, I might be able to help you!

Nicholas

· Premium Member
17,625 Posts
Ditto. I've got a setup very similar to sfogg's except with 90% fewer hours :D

Sony VPH1271 with 150 original hours, switcher, ceiling mount, original manuals, cables, IFB-12 component input card, etc

I'm going to be posting it on the videogon HT MarketPlace this weekend. I'd really like it to find a good home.

Where are you located?

-Clarence

· Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the great feedback. I actually have just about got the dedicated room done, including seating, dark paint, HTPC, sound system, etc. I saved the projector and screen for last, which ended up pinching my projector budget!

More info on the room:

15 ft wide X 23 ft long

light controlled, dark paint

plan to have 106" screen

I am definitely more interested in a tested known good system even if it costs a bit more. I don't mind the tweaking, but still have a lot of work ahead on finishing touches for the room, sound, htpc, etc.

I am located in albuquerque, NM and will follow up on the suggestions.

· Registered
3,895 Posts
If its Clarence, of course its a gem, do you even have to ask ?

He would walk out of Fred Sanfords yard with a brand new G90 for $20.........and yes.......thats more than a hint of jealousy you hear in my voice.

· Premium Member
17,625 Posts
Yep... Paul's right... my luck is still holding up...

Gem. Huge gem.

You didn't see my funny story about the neckboards in the other thread? I helped out someone searching for a Ampro red neckboard, so I sent him one from my first Ampro which arrived gutted (except for beautiful unused tubes which I popped in a M8500 and neckboards which I didn't know what to do with).

So a week later I get Ampro #2... pristine tubes, but missing... the red neckboard. DOH!

But as usual, the incredible community of friends here came through and the part is on it's way.

-Clarence

· Registered
4,810 Posts
I can demo a well set-up (IMO:D ) 8" EM focus machine if you don't mind driving up 30 minutes N of Denver? There's a petty good deal on Videogn right now, M8500 with what I believe are pretty clean tubes for $2600. , ask Techman707 for some pics.
http://cgi.videogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.p...391&class&3&4&

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.