AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
to show off a sound system? I am looking for a song that the intro would really grab a person's attention and would also have some great bass, acoustic and electric guitar solos, drum solo, and female vocals. Also, it would be great if the song was under four minutes.

I know this is a lot to ask but is there a song that comes close?

Thanks,

Yeto

·
Registered
2,784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeto /forum/post/0

to show off a sound system? I am looking for a song that the intro would really grab a person's attention and would also have some great bass, acoustic and electric guitar solos, drum solo, and female vocals. Also, it would be great if the song was under four minutes.

I know this is a lot to ask but is there a song that comes close?

Thanks,

Yeto

A song that grabs person's attention. Not female vocals, but

Metallica's Enter Sandman

·
Registered
975 Posts
Alicia Key's "A Woman's Worth" on her 1st album Songs in A Minor.

Not everything you asked for, but you're asking for alot on a 4 minute song. :)

·
Registered
975 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PULLIAMM /forum/post/0

"Paradise" by Sade.

As my boy from Kentucky used to say "She makes me moist". :)

What about "King of Sorrow" ?

·
Registered
569 Posts
i would highly recommend the song "Weasel and the White Boys Cool" off of Rickie Lee Jones's eponymous first album .

it doesn't have everything you mentioned, but it's an incredibly well-recorded, brilliant album. really, you could use any song off of it. it's got that intimate sweet sound that makes it feel like you're sitting in the studio with the band.

·
Registered
569 Posts
conversely, if you want something a little more instrumentally impressive, then i'd recommend a song like "Zomby Woof" off of Frank Zappa's Over-Nite Sensation . Tina Turner and the Ikettes sing backup, and you won't hear better musicianship or chops on any other rock album.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicAjax /forum/post/0

conversely, if you want something a little more instrumentally impressive, then i'd recommend a song like "Zomby Woof" off of Frank Zappa's Over-Nite Sensation . Tina Turner and the Ikettes sing backup, and you won't hear better musicianship or chops on any other rock album.

I have been using this CD for years to show off my system. I love it!

Also Zappa's Yellow Shark has been rated as a top quality recording. I usually listen to this one alone because people that like "conventional" or American Pop music have given me some strange looks.

Try Mark Knopfler "The Ragpicker's Dream" This is a "10" in my book.

Another one that will get your attention is Hugh Masekela "Hope" ......African Jazz,I guess.

Strange that some of the best sounding music is never played on regular commercial radio......

Trust me, although the above may not be your favorite style of music they are top notch recordings.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
There is no particular song, but I would say Pink Floyds Dark Side Of The Moon has all those elements. Sorry, but I have a difficult time thinking of any one 4 minute song that has an electric guitar and acoustic solo's as well as a drum solo. Possibly ELP's Karnevil #9, but only Greg Lake sings so no female vocal there.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Woops....we should be over at the music discussion and music review forum....!

·
Registered
194 Posts
More than one, but my "go to" discs for auditioning speakers over the last few years have been (in no particular order) -

Chick Corea - "My Spanish Heart" - cut 5, Night Streets and cut 9, Armando's Rumble - great acoustic instrument sounds, esp. the piano on the first and stand up bass + hand clapping on the second

Chick Corea Elektric Band (first disc) - cut 3, Sidewalk - powerhouse synthesizer, guitar, drums

Zappa - "One Size Fits All" - Sofa No. 1 - just gotta play some FZ, and this cut has got a sliding bass run that goes to the basement and below, lets you know if your sub can cut it

·
Registered
838 Posts
Anything off of Sarah McLachlan's "Surfacing" album. Extremely well recorded. Plenty of low bass. And unlike most of the "usuals" mentioned already, won't clear the listening room when cranked.

The last track off of the "Gladiator" soundtrack is pretty amazing too.

·
Registered
194 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo77 /forum/post/0

Also Zappa's Yellow Shark has been rated as a top quality recording. I usually listen to this one alone because people that like "conventional" or American Pop music have given me some strange looks.

You said it! I played G-Spot Tornado for my 14 yr old son and he was all set to try to talk his orchestra teacher into making it a concert piece for them - wouldn't that be a hoot!

·
Registered
1,974 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by agb2529 /forum/post/0

You said it! I played G-Spot Tornado for my 14 yr old son and he was all set to try to talk his orchestra teacher into making it a concert piece for them - wouldn't that be a hoot!

Geez, you are pretty liberal minded to play Zappa for a kid. I don't take those discs out unless I'm alone. I think my wife threatened to put my Shiek Your Booty disc in the microwave once.

·
Registered
143 Posts
"Building a Mystery" Sarah McLachlan

...although it's 7 second too long.

·
Registered
194 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexa695 /forum/post/0

Geez, you are pretty liberal minded to play Zappa for a kid. I don't take those discs out unless I'm alone. I think my wife threatened to put my Shiek Your Booty disc in the microwave once.

I do have limits - Live at Fillmore East, Joe's Garage, and a few others are still under wraps. But he really appreciates the musicianship & intricacy of FZ's compositions, so why not let him become educated in the finer things?

·
Registered
569 Posts

Quote:

reminds me of my own introduction to Zappa: my dad was driving me to baseball practice when i was 13 years old. he pops in a cassette and says, "do NOT tell your mother i played this for you." on comes "Camarillo Brillo."

my 4yo son already knows the words to that and "Find Her Finer" from Zoot Allures... of course, he doesn't know what they all mean...yet.

·
Banned
8,503 Posts

Quote:

I am sure that they hear worse on TV and at school all the time. Even Zappa's filthiest lyrics are squeaky-clean compared to the hideous Rap that comes spewing out of car windows like sewage from a backed-up toilet these days.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.