AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get internet from Comcast, but subscribe to no videoservices. If I were to take the coax and hook it up to a NTSC tv, would I receive any video such as local channels? What if I were to attach it to a QAM Tuner, might I get any video that would be in-the-clear?

Just wondering.

Thanks,

ej

·
Registered
23,234 Posts
It's quite possble, but area/provider dependant. Sometimes they install traps/filters if you don't subscribe to "video". Most Comcast headends will pass locals (channels 2-20?) when subscribed to HSI.

Try it and find out.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how about in-the-clear QAM?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Well that's what you'd find... in the clear QAM channels (aka 'unencrypted'). They're still transmit on frequencies like the analog stations, so if there's a filter / trap involved you might not get anything.

The only way to find out is to try

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks!

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
The QAM channels, if you get them, will have odd channel numbers. They'll be random (to you and I) numbers like 94.2, 101.8, and so on. In case you're looking for them in their normal channel number locations or even if you knew what channel they show up with a set-top, just something to be aware of.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hall /forum/post/0

The QAM channels, if you get them, will have odd channel numbers. They'll be random (to you and I) numbers like 94.2, 101.8, and so on. In case you're looking for them in their normal channel number locations or even if you knew what channel they show up with a set-top, just something to be aware of.

Not necessarily the case. In my area (SE Pennsylvania), Comcast recently started passing the PSIP data for the OTA HD channels. So for all of my local HD channels, I get them at 3.1, 6.1, 10.1, etc.

The other unencrypted digital channels stayed at their regular channel assignments. Also interesting is that the local simulcast channels (ABC weather, the TUBE) also stayed at the original channels.

ft

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,753 Posts
You will probably get the HD locals that Comcast carries in your area.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts

Quote:
I get internet from Comcast, but subscribe to no videoservices.

In my area Comcast does the following Internet only $57, Internet with basic cable service, internet $42 basic cable $15 do you have a similar deal in your area?

With my QAM tuner I pick up all of the local HD channels!!

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
RCbridge, I have the same thing though I noticed they bumped my locals up to $17 a month. It's about the same to get basic channels vs the extra $15 you pay for Internet access if you have no cable service.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.