AVS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Currently I have Ascend Acoustic towers, an Oppo 105 and an old budget receiver ( Yamaha RX-V2500). Also, an older Energy sub (an 8" model) S.8 something or other. I have been thinking about my next purchase. For a receiver I am looking at an Anthem MRX 710, for a new sub I am considering the Rthymik F12. I can't buy both products at once because of my budget. My question is, which one of these products do you think, would give me the greater impact on my system. Not really interested in suggestions for alternative products to the two I have listed, as I think the Anthem and the Rythmik are pretty decent pieces of gear. It's obvious my sub is not up to par when listening to my system, and I 'm pretty sure the Anthem would be an overall upgrade in sound, but like I said, these purchases will be at least 6 months apart. Any comments or thoughts? Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
21,835 Posts
What's lacking or problematic in your existing system?

·
Registered
12,977 Posts
Sub first, then AVR. The sub will have the most impact on your overall sound.

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
Subs over electronics, unless the new AVR has some essential feature, such as having HDMI where the older one doesn't for example.

Also move the sub(s) adjacent to your listening position and calibrate again. More SPL capability, more tactile and you're in the nearfield so room modes are less of an issue.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I am looking for a little more slam. More impact, and a tighter more defined bass, and a little more emphasis on the upper frequencies when it's called for.
A new receiver isn't going to give you anything on the upper frequencies. A better sub will probably help. Room treatments would as well.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Subs over electronics, unless the new AVR has some essential feature, such as having HDMI where the older one doesn't for example.

Also move the sub(s) adjacent to your listening position and calibrate again. More SPL capability, more tactile and you're in the nearfield so room modes are less of an issue.
Thank you, yes the MRX 710 has HDMI inputs and ARC is highly regarded, so I thought that might make a difference over the older yamaha.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A new receiver isn't going to give you anything on the upper frequencies. A better sub will probably help. Room treatments would as well.
Thanks, room treatments are not really an option unfortunately. The reviews on the Anthem say it has a crisp top end, so that's why I was thinking that.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Sub. I'd do it in addition to the S8.3 (?) since that's a nice little sub, gives you fewer nulls in the room.

If you're interested in better upper end response, you may have to look at speakers. What do you have?

AVR last. I assume you are fine with analog outs since you have the 105.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sub. I'd do it in addition to the S8.3 (?) since that's a nice little sub, gives you fewer nulls in the room.

If you're interested in better upper end response, you may have to look at speakers. What do you have?

AVR last. I assume you are fine with analog outs since you have the 105.
I have the Ascend Acoustics tower with the ribbon tweeters. Yes, I use the 105 analog outputs to listen to music. I also use the multi-channal analog outputs for surround, since my yamaha receiver doesn't have HDMI. Yeah, the energy sub is not a bad little sub.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
I have the Ascend Acoustics tower with the ribbon tweeters. Yes, I use the 105 analog outputs to listen to music. I also use the multi-channal analog outputs for surround, since my yamaha receiver doesn't have HDMI. Yeah, the energy sub is not a bad little sub.
Well, you seem in very good shape with those speakers and have a good setup for analog connections. That 105 will take care of business well, so the sub should be the next step.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, you seem in very good shape with those speakers and have a good setup for analog connections. That 105 will take care of business well, so the sub should be the next step.
I'm looking at a bigger sub for more impact on movies and I think Ill be set!
Thanks!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts