AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For my home theater use only (5.1 only), if I were to buy 4 identical bookshelves + center channcel + subwoofer, what would I be missing vs a setup consisting of 2 towers + center + rear bookshelves + subwoofer??

It just seems like a much more affordable route for me to take, and placement would be much easier. But if I would be missing something substantial by not getting those near full range towers in the front, I might be inclined to foot the bill for them. And I do think that no matter what I would get a subwoofer, something like a HSU VTF-2 or SVS brand.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
With proper bass management you'll miss nothing, and since you'll pay more for the towers, you can take that differential and apply it to something else.

·
Registered
62 Posts
you can take that differential and apply it to something else.

And that something else could be a better center channel, as this is the most important speaker in the setup.

·
Registered
136 Posts
For HT, it will not matter as much. But for music, IMO, the towers make quite a difference. I went the with the 4 bookshelf approach but have since gotten towers.

Towers offer the ability to listen to music in 2.1 where bookshelves will, most likely, leave you wanting more in a non-5 channel mode. Even in 5 channel mode, my towers greatly enhanced my music experience.

All of this is subjective. Listen to both options if possible. Especially if you can do an in-home demo. Make your decision that way.

I wish my room was big enough to handle 4 B&W 604s! :D

JMHO.

I think the most important requirement is that the front 3 voice coils match.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.