AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is just unbearable to watch.

I'm not sure what these issues are called. Is it Mosquito Noise? Macroblocking? Also the ghost lines on edges. The last two pics are not in motion, they were posing for a picture, thats how bad it is even on still frames.

The soon to be released Gefen TV Scaler Pro with Realta caught my eye with it cheap price. It's really hard, obviously, to say what results I will get with the Gefen. Would something like a Flea help out more? Something dedicated to cleaning up instead of scaling?

I obviously want the most for my money. I can't afford anything like the VP50 right now. I definetly want the picture cleaner, but I understand you can only do so much with SD cable. I also want the deinterlacing/scaling I am expecting from the Gefen Scaler. I also like the fact that the Gefen can output 1360x768, which is supposedly the closest my display will come to 1:1 (I'll have to mess around with resolutions and see.). Would something like a cheap scaler (Gefen) plus a signal cleaner when I could afford to add one, be a good option?

I have Charter Digital Cable with a Motorola DCH3200 box. With HDMI output, I can output 480i from the box. Those pictures were taken as 1080i from component out of the cable box (only option with component). 480p via HDMI to the display is slightly cleaner, not worth mentioning really. My display does not except 480i via HDMI, so I don't know if just better deinterlacing would make a significant difference or not.

Any suggestions for low budget fix?

Display: Samsung HP-S5053 (1366x768)

Cable Box: Motorola DCH3200

·
Registered
85 Posts
Similar problem here, except SA 8300 box going into a Sony Bravia 1080p LCD display. I am tempted to pick up the new Pioneer 1018 AVR and combine the scaler into the receiver, but I would think that a stand alone scaler with a reon/realta solution would be more effective that a Farj. Cortez etc.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeonx /forum/post/14186070

Similar problem here, except SA 8300 box going into a Sony Bravia 1080p LCD display. I am tempted to pick up the new Pioneer 1018 AVR and combine the scaler into the receiver, but I would think that a stand alone scaler with a reon/realta solution would be more effective that a Farj. Cortez etc.

I also plan on upgrading receiver from a Denon 1908 to a 1909 which adds Faroudja and TrueHD/DTS-MA decoding. I don't think the Faroudja will be nearly enough for me. Plus, I've specifically read that my display has major macroblocking issues with Faroudja. I think I will be bypassing the Faroudja altogether.
That's ok though, I really just want the audio processing from the 1909.

Is "near dvd quality" expectations, way too much? I would be happy if my SD cable could look close to a decently mastered DVD.

·
Registered
6,908 Posts
The most grotesque thing about those pictures are the short, fat people - distorted/stretched images.

Put it back to original aspect ratio and then worry about secondary artifacts!

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavu /forum/post/14186197

The most grotesque thing about those pictures are the short, fat people - distorted/stretched images.

Put it back to original aspect ratio and then worry about secondary artifacts!

That, I can fix.
Component output is fixed from my cable box, once I get an HDMI switcher and can adjust aspect ratios and resolutions. I'm dealing with it for now. The artifacts bother me way more.

I'm worried about the artifacts.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I actually did find out how to get 480i out of component, I thoguht 1080i was a fixed setting but I was wrong. It looks much better. However everything output HDMI still has this problem (480p-1080i).

Anyone?

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechunks /forum/post/14188784

Looks the Algolith Flea ( review ) could be just the unit you are looking for. It has been discontinued by Algolith, but a used unit could be the budget friendly solution you are looking for. Note that they made two versions, one with HDMI.

Flea Operation Manual (pdf)

Flea with HDMI Operation Manual (pdf)

Flea Software Updates

Thank you for that! I checked out the Flea thread, a couple threads down in this section, but the review you posted was much more helpful. Seems they sell around the $1k mark? That's a bit steep.
I read that Jason Turk was the guy to go to, so I'll see what he says.

I think this Flea is just what I need. Send my cable box natively to the Flea, then possible to the Gefen TV scaler. It will probably cost around $1600 for both, if what I read about the Flea price was correct, but I think it will make a huge difference.

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklac /forum/post/14188954

I think this Flea is just what I need. Send my cable box natively to the Flea, then possible to the Gefen TV scaler. It will probably cost around $1600 for both, if what I read about the Flea price was correct, but I think it will make a huge difference.

In that case, you might also want to look for a used Algolith DragonFly as it uses the HQV solution to provide scaling/de-interlacing. They have also discontinued this unit, but used pieces should be out there.

Even the Gefen by itself might provide adequate performance if they properly implement all the potential of the Realta HQV .

One note of caution: you 'can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear' and your cable signal looks really over-compressed and there is only so much one can do. Expect improvement, but not miracles.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechunks /forum/post/14189019

In that case, you might also want to look for a used Algolith DragonFly as it uses the HQV solution to provide scaling/de-interlacing. They have also discontinued this unit, but used pieces should be out there.

Even the Gefen by itself might provide adequate performance if they properly implement all the potential of the Realta HQV .

One note of caution: you 'can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear' and your cable signal looks really over-compressed and there is only so much one can do. Expect improvement, but not miracles.

I will look into the Dragonfly.

I understand about expecting alot from little. Those pics were pretty much worst case. My SD movie channels look better than the basic channels. I understand it will never look like HiDef, but anything better is a plus. I think just cleaning up the signal will make a huge difference. Hopefully, scaling can take it up another notch, however small it may be. My display isn't the best at scaling, SD DVD's look better upscaled to 1080i by my Oppo 983 than fed 480p and scaled by the display.

I think I will wait until the Gefen comes out and see how it is. It may be all I need, or good enough until I can get a Flea also. I will look into the Dragonfly, too.

Thank you for your input, it is greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklac /forum/post/14189255

Thank you for your input, it is greatly appreciated!

You are welcome!

And as mentioned above in this thread, your particular TV is doing scaling for 1366x768 so the effect of external scaling might be marginal. I don't know the specs for your particular set, but there are not many consumer devices that accept 768 native signals. YMMV.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts