AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been into HT, to some degree, since 1985ish. stereo VHS, 27" tube, basic receiver = pretty darned good for what it was.

until the last 6 months, a projector never entered my mind.

i am wondering, in 1990 & 96 (2 of the 3 milestones in my HT evolution) what would i have ? and what would i be seeing ?

compare it to a panny 4000 of today.

thanx

·
Registered
342 Posts
I'm not sure about projectors, but in 1989/1990 I remember graduating highschool, and spending about $900 on a Mitsubishi 27" tube TV. This was back when the black diamond tubes were considered to be pretty high end stuff.

I also remember drooling over a pair of KEF Reference 104/2 speakers at the local Audio Associates store whre I lived back then, and wishing I could afford $3,600 for a pair of speakers. haha

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
something I've often wondered about myself. Back in 1992 I bought my first house and dreamed of a "big screen". Back then I think a line doubled video only set was considered "rich people's toys" with the line doubler alone costing as much as decent car. In 1990 you could count yourself lucky to be watching VHS tape thru composite video to a Sony 1031 on a whopping 60" wide screen.

By 1996 EM focusing 8 and 9 inch sets were already out and capable of 1200 x 1600 resolution but they cost like $30K to 40K for commercial version and $60K or more for Runco re-badged ones from your local shop. Bigger problem was progressive scan 480P still wasn't out yet so you would still be line doubling your 480i laser disc. DVD players weren't released until 1997 and those were STILL 480I AFAIK and I think full progressive scan 480P wasn't until 1998 or 99?

Your LCD would have smoked all of the sets from the early 90's but is still not up to Par to a current 9inch CRT with Liquid coupled optics showing 1080P @72Hz for instance, IMO of course

·
Registered
168 Posts
I find it utterly amazing that these units cost so much. Even a 1272 was like $20-30k! Even though there outdated, it's amazing that we can now own one for alot of the time under $1k. My 1272 cost me $1300 with brand new trubes in it. The tubes alone are worth that aren't they?

I'm still young in the scheme of things (26) but i had my first little "setup" in 1998 with some home made speakers, a computer speaker amp (2ch driving 4 speakers and a sub
) and a 51cm tube TV. I remember when i got my DVD player, it was the most awesome thing ever, seeing it in all it's 51cm glory. Was using composite out of it too! And now i have a full blown theater, amazing the progression. (pics to come soon too of my new theater
)

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Ladies and Gentlemen I introduce you to my trusty old/vintage Kenwood VR-5900!!!!

I love these old/vintage Kenwoods!

Awesome receivers/amps combo. (It is a 7.1 amp but the last two channels need an outboard amp and the KMX1000 is perfect for that!)

...I got a set as a gift from my parents in 1990 when I graduated High school and it has been with me ever since and guess what I have never turned them off...so it has been on since then, with a break here and there for cleanup and moving my furniture aorund and and such!

They are like tanks!!! ...and it still put out a great sound!

Speakers are gone and changed with Nxx whatever speakers but the back amp KM-X1000 and the VR-5900 I am never gonna get rid of!!!

Get one and you will never want to get another one!

Trust me (A true 90's vintage classic combo!)

Martin

·
Registered
321 Posts
Kenwood was definitely a force back in the 80's/early 90's. I had a KAV9500 which was a few years prior to the one above and pretty high end back then. Then they released the pre/power THX combo which was pretty unrivalled from memory. Then they dropped their high end and went all cheap which is a shame.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
It is a shame, I think that the THX combo (Preamp/amp!) that you are talking about is this one:

--KC-Z1

--KM-Z1

Very nice combo indeed....even by today's standards! (Latest HD sound related codecs not included of course!? ...but then again how may of us have the latest gear just to have the latest codecs over hdmi deallie bob?'')

I wo

I must admit that I am still using DTS and 5.1 channels! (...that is all you that need for a kick ass setup!,....plus I would much rather spend my money/budget on other stuff...like better amp/Speakers!)

"Speaking" of speakers lets not forget those magnaplanar ribbon ones...very directional and consumes a hell of a lot of wattage to run efficiently but sound is next to none!

Martin

·
Registered
124 Posts
In 1996 maybe Hi-vision and WVHS for HD playback on a 9" crt.

Scaling from Faroudja was top of the bill back then I think. And some others long forgotten

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
These earlier Kenwoods are built like tanks!

I love them and would not wanna trade up for anything less than a lexicon or a B&K separates

Anyhow

Martin

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
In 1999 I got my first 1252 w/ a DVDO iscan plus! Motion adaptive deinterlacing for @ $600. Truly a breakthrough.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Also, did you guys know that Kenwood also made a laser-disk player? ...around the same time?

...that would definitely be a nice addition to my all Kenwood rack that is about to explode!

Martin

1 - 12 of 12 Posts