AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having some technical issues with my TV which seem to be coming from my cable box. I currently run:

Cable box -> HDMI -> Receiver -> HDMI -> TV

When I switch the inputs on the TV (say for movie or video game) and then come back to the HDMI I get a screen that is from the cable box that says: 'Copy Protection

YPrPb output is blocked

press exit to cancel'.

I know it is from the cable box because of the way the info box looks and because pressing the 'exit' button on the cable remote is what makes it go away. When I press 'exit' all works fine.

I have called the cable company and asked if I could stop getting the warning (some way to turn it off?) since it works fine and I don't appreciate having to grab yet one more remote and find yet one more button to push in order to watch TV. The tech guy I spoke to couldn't help me. He suggested that the problem might be the HDMI cables that I was using? He said that some TVs have problems with HDCP information, he then said that since I have a Samsung brand TV, that shouldn't be the problem. He is going to send a tech out tomorrow. When I asked him isn't 'YPrPb' a designation for component cables he said that it was, but it could be the same screen is used for HDMI connections. Boy, I don't feel anymore clear then before I called.

So, I'd like to ask a few questions:

1) Since I have no recording components connected to my TV should this be an issue? (I don't have any VCRs, DVRs, etc...)

2) If I used a set of Component cables with an Optical Audio cable to go from my Cable box to the Receiver, would that remove the warning message?

2a) Would I lose anything in terms of Audio or Video quality by using Component and Optical instead of HDMI? I'd like to mention that I my cable company only puts out 1080i max and my TV is a 720P.

3) I have read about a different receiver being able to take component inputs and put them out over an HDMI output, can my receiver do that? (I didn't see anything about it in the manual, so I doubt it can).

-Thanks for any help you guys can give, Ken

System parts:

Samsung PN42A400 (720P Plasma)

Sony HT 7200DH

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 4250HD Cable Box

Here is a photo of the error:

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
there have been some serious discussions on HDMI digital vs. component analog picture quality. In many situations, you can not tell the difference, in others (with large screens) you may prefer HDMI, and often when you have "protection" issues component is the way to go because the analog input DOES NOT have any digital copy protection.

Since your set is 720p, chances are you will not notice any difference at all in picture quality and your audio will be the same because your cable box is only supplying dolby digital 5.1 surround.

give it a try

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Yeah, I ran component and HDMI from my cable box (SA 3250HD) to compare. The vast majority of the time, I could not tell the difference.

On some of the standard def channels component might have actually looked better (I think it was mostly the analogs), but not like shatteringly better. HD channels, I can't recall a time I could tell either way.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you guys for the responses. I will take some time and run Component cables as soon as my order from Monoprice is delivered (I have an Optical cable in that order).

-Ken

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
If you have three yellow composite video cables laying around, they'll work as component (if you line them up right.) Component video is really just three composite cables fused together and color coded for convenience.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Why not just go Cable Box -> HDMI -> TV

Then on TV go TV -> Optical Audio Out -> Optical Audio In on back of Receiver.

That way you dont have to switch your receiver input when ever you change to your blue ray or laser disc player or satelight reciever or cable stb.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
it is rare that a TV will pass-thru Dolby Digital 5.1 audio from an external source to the optical out. The signal will be downmixed to digital two channel stereo. Only the internal ATSC/QAM tuner will provide full DD5.1 out through the TV's optical out. There are exceptions to this on some specific TV's, but you will need to scour the owners manual very carefully to see if your set will support full DD5.1 pass-thru.

·
Registered
43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WirelessMechanic /forum/post/18803542

Why not just go Cable Box -> HDMI -> TV

Then on TV go TV -> Optical Audio Out -> Optical Audio In on back of Receiver.

That way you dont have to switch your receiver input when ever you change to your blue ray or laser disc player or satelight reciever or cable stb.

You wouldn't want to do that because the TV will not output the 5.1 back to the receiver, the other issue would be that you would have to remember to mute your TV otherwise you would have the speakers playing on the TV as well as your surround sound and that would throw your sound off . In this scenario you could run the HDMI cable directly to the TV and an Optical cable to the receiver so you would still get your surround sound. More than likely you will never notice a difference between HDMI and component video....even on Blu-Ray, most consumers can't tell the difference.

If your receiver does not up-scale video to HDMI, then you could run component to the TV and Optical to the receiver and be done with it.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElecWarehouse /forum/post/18916071

You wouldn't want to do that because the TV will not output the 5.1 back to the receiver, the other issue would be that you would have to remember to mute your TV otherwise you would have the speakers playing on the TV as well as your surround sound and that would throw your sound off . In this scenario you could run the HDMI cable directly to the TV and an Optical cable to the receiver so you would still get your surround sound. More than likely you will never notice a difference between HDMI and component video....even on Blu-Ray, most consumers can't tell the difference.

If your receiver does not up-scale video to HDMI, then you could run component to the TV and Optical to the receiver and be done with it.

Just to reinforce this advice: my TV (Sony KDL40V4100) does support DD 5.1 passthrough over optical from an HDMI source, but this solution introduced a slight audio lag compared to running an optical cable straight to my receiver from the cable box. Of course, half the HD programming from my cable company had intrinsic sync issues anyway...

·
Registered
43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstroman /forum/post/18921613

Just to reinforce this advice: my TV (Sony KDL40V4100) does support DD 5.1 passthrough over optical from an HDMI source, but this solution introduced a slight audio lag compared to running an optical cable straight to my receiver from the cable box. Of course, half the HD programming from my cable company had intrinsic sync issues anyway...

If there is a lag in the audio when looping it through the TV, then just send the audio directly to the receiver. But to answer the original question of this post....with just a cable box, you will not notice a significant difference between hdmi and component. In some instances the component may actually look better - like on non-HD channels.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.