AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked a question about the best resolution a while back, but forgot that most of you guys has 16x9 resolutions. I've got 3:4, mostly because of my kids, they watch a lot of full screen movies, and because of the winter sports that are fullscreen on norwegian TV. But what I guess I should have asked was what the sweet spot of my projector should be. The setup is this:

Barco Graphics 808 chassi

Brand new Panasonic tubes

HD-144 lenses

Upgraded RGB amps, at least on par with 808S, probably as good as the Cine 8 according to my tech guy

So what should I do with that? 1280x1024, perhaps?

Also I could of course use PowerStrip and my rather advanced control setup. I press 1 on my remote, the screen goes all the way down, and ZoomPlayer goes to fullscreen. I press two, and the screen goes up to mask, while ZoomPlayer goes to 1.85. I press 3 and get 2.35 with subtitles. I press 4 and get 2.35 without subtitles (norwegian subs are around 10 cm below the picture area on two liners). 5 is 2.40 with subs, and 6 is 2.40 without subs. It wouldn't be much trouble to let the widescreen aspect ratios set the HTPC to a good widescreen resolution. But I don't know if that's practical since I have the projector mounted on the floor (room restrictions) and watch the movies on the upper part of the screen (so the masking means that the image goes to the top, and the screen goes as far up as it has to.

Any suggestions would be welcome. Serious suggestions would be especially welcome! ;)

·
Banned
3,127 Posts
On top of an Ampro...

:D

I prefered 960p (HTPC) myself....

What VPA chip does the upgraded RGB amp have? I have the MEC versions of the BG 808s neckboards and they run a VPA 08. I have noticed a big difference over the two piece VPA 06 amps.

Plus I am about to get 9 more.. :)

·
Registered
712 Posts
Pete,

So when you going to share the upgrades. I've got boards, need soddering!

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthZ
On top of an Ampro...

I prefered 960p (HTPC) myself....

What VPA chip does the upgraded RGB amp have? I have the MEC versions of the BG 808s neckboards and they run a VPA 08. I have noticed a big difference over the two piece VPA 06 amps.

Plus I am about to get 9 more.. :)
Yep, that'd be a sweet spot for sure, but it don't stand a chance in hell of gettin there :p

Chip

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here you go again, guys! Jacking a perfectly on topic thread! Bad boys! I think it's related to having a Z in the nickname... ;)

Actally I have no ide what those VPA chips are, and the projector's locked under the platform now, which it will be until I get my tech guy visiting. Anyway, the standard PC resolution for 960 lines will be 1280x960. I will try that, thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkW
Pete,

So when you going to share the upgrades. I've got boards, need soddering!
What is SODDERING ???

·
Premium Member
2,101 Posts
Hey Pete,

I got nine neck boards on route too, and 9 LC hardware!

yours came with those massive screens, mine come on a pallet......

Your $68 a set, Mine make me cry! :p

I did get a couple of 808lc top plates as well :D

·
Banned
3,127 Posts

Sure beats $8K for a Rudy.

I only plan on bring 2 of the screens back - as I have to trailer then back in a u-haul for 20 hr. :eek:

I just got the Barkenstein buttoned up and powered on.

Pictures to be posted.

Mastiff-

Have you had a chance to run 960p yet?

·
Premium Member
2,101 Posts
Are they seriously $8k

over here they are £7300.00 thats loads over $8K.....

will you get pics up soon.......

nearly 1am here......

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
StealthZ, I haven't tried yet, and I don't think I'll get a chance to try for a few days. That message was posted late on the day before Christmas eve (here we do the heavy celebrating on Christmas eve, with gifts and dinner and all that, not on the 25th). I don't think my wife would appreciate me saying "OK, I'll be down in the HT for a few hours while you guys get everything ready for dinner and stuff. I need to try 960P." That would probably mean that I'll get the "I've got a divorce lawyer and I'm not afraid to use him" look that only comes around when I mess up really, really bad! ;)

·
Banned
3,127 Posts
Try to advoid THAT look... :D

I believe that Terry specs 850-900 as being the best for the 808.

With the New P16 tubes - I got detailed scanlines at 720P. It looks much better to me at 960P (HTPC) IMO..

Pete

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK, I have tried 960p very quick and without real fine tuning of the picture. Weird thing is that it removed the streaking I have at 75 Hz with 1152x864! I can't comment on picture quality since I didn't have time to do geometry, convergence and so on right because my father sleeps in the HT while my parents are visiting us for Christmas, it's the only room in the house that's sound proof enough - he snores really, really loud! Gonna do a bit of that tomorrow, though.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
Couple things that Mastiff brought up in another thread,

1) is that he's in PAL land, so he might want to be using multiples of those lines, which I think should be 864? (I am ignorant when it comes to pal!).

2) as I recommend to others, for DVDs 1440 horizontal resolution is preferred over 1280. For HD content, 1280 is preferred(or 1920), to better match the pixels of the original source evenly. From what I know about pal in a crude sense is that it's also 720 horizontally like NTSC, so 1440 should still stand. Correct me if I'm wrong though, because I've never messed with pal.

-Chris

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Chris, I'll be trying out both 1440x768 and 1280x960. Then I'll see what I like best.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.