AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do want to have support for DTS:MA and DD-HD, but I will be connecting most sources to the tv (A Pioneer 5080, 720p) directly via HDMI and running a separate digital cable to the receiver (except for a future blu ray player).

I frequently use the tv speakers for sound when it's late or I don't want to piss off my roommate.

I want future functionality, but I don't want to *have* to have my receiver on all the time.

I have Definitive BP30s up front, and three BPxs (a 6.1 setup) in the rear, if it matters.

I've wondered if I should jump on an Onkyo 805 or 705 deal...I'm concerned about the Pioneer 1018's seemingly strained volume capabilities. The BP30s are big speakers to drive.

I currently have a Pioneer Elite 24tx, but I'm on a tighter budget than I was when I bought that.

Any recommendations?

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Figure out what you need for inputs is a first step. Something like the Yamaha RX-V663 may fit your needs because it sounds like you don't need many HDMI connections.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope, probably just one or two. One for the xbox and one for a potential blu ray player. I'm most concerned with power and quality, less with bells and whistles.

Edit: The number of inputs will probably not be an issue, Michael. It seems that the number of inputs scale with quality and power. I'm mainly wondering if there's some good deal on older units that can handle the playback of modern formats but maybe don't have good scalers or video upscaling.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Look for deals on the Yamaha RX-V1700 if you can live without receiver side decoding of the newer audio codecs off Blu-ray. You may be able to get excellent prices on what I consider to be a very nice receiver. I have it's big brother, the RX-V2700, but it runs hotter and does not add anything you need over the 1700.

Most players will decode TrueHD. Few players decode DTS-HD Master Audio, but most decode the lossy (but very high quality) DTS core which is part of DTS-HD MA soundtracks. The core is usually 1.5 Mb/s, so it's no slouch. What I mean is that you can certainly live without as DTS-HD Master Audio decoder as long as the player can decode core.

The PS3 decodes all audio formats and sends over HDMI as PCM data. The RX-V1700 is perfect for that application.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Nothing wrong with that. I bought a Mackie FRS 800 for $250 that I am using just for my L/R channels. A stack of those would be pretty cheap
But they are bulky (wide,) and have active (fan) cooling.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts