AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before stumbling across your forums, I had researched and almost made the decision to purchase the Mitsubishi WS-73909. Now, I'm not so sure.

Given $7k (ish) for the initial TV purchase, what would you guys recommend?

I have only a few requirements:

1. Must have a decently bright picture under normal lighting.

2. Must allow hookup of PC, Console game, etc.

3. HDTV.

4. Large.

5. Does not have to be new, just excellent quality.

I'm open to other brands, or front projection units.

Thanks for indulging a beginner.

·
Registered
441 Posts
If your set up allows for a screen, I would suggest you look carefully at some of the front projection units. Many are excellent and within your price range. The Sanyo PLV60 has come down in price and is a decent LCD. The Sanyo XP21 and boxlight clones are also decent units for a very affordable price. Currently perhaps the best choice is the Sharp 9000 which is a little more than you want to spend but is a true HDTV resolution projector with the new Ti 1280 x 768 chip and a contrast ratio around 1100:1. Check out http://www.projectorcentral.com for more information.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I'd be tempted to look at the Sharp 9000 if I were you, but whether your application is suited for a front projector is unknown. You'll want to check things like light control, room size, etc. I've got a Mitsu 61", and I'm lusting after a FP. I want 120" :D So I guess the best advice I can give you is to look into it. Another cost consideration is a name brand screen can run you $$$$, but there are people who have done home made screens for less than $100, and are perfectly happy with them. I am planning to build my own screen out of sheetrock when I go FP. With a smooth surface and the right paint, why not? I figure a guy's at least gotta give it a try.

·
Registered
180 Posts
i'd suggest that if you end up buying an RPTV unit (i especially love the mitsus), i'd set aside 5 or 600 of that budget to have your set isf'd...it's worth every penny to get the maximum performance out of your display no matter what it is!

happy hunting!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.