AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be rebuilding my entire home theater in my family room this year. Currently have a Mitsubishi Diamond 65" TV. Going with the Pioneer 65GT30. That decision has been made... just waiting on the wife to appove my purchase order

For the receiver, I will be replacing a Denon AVR-3300 that has been a great little receiver. I am powering an older Boston Accoustics 5.1 speaker system with 10" sub. The room is rather large... roughly 20' x 24' and a two story ceiling. I am not an audiophile by any stretch but I want to know that I am getting good sound and power for the money I am spending to replace my Denon.

How I plan to use this thing:

- mainly for TV and Movies.

- Some Radio

- Would like to have airplay built in, but I am also an Apple guy, so I have an AppleTV and I am considering buying the AppleTV2 so airplay built into the receiver is not a must have.

- Would like the ability to stream from Pandora or other internet sources (so networking feature is a must)

- power a 5.1 speaker setup with a Zone 2 set of speakers on my back patio (wiring already in place)

- Devices used would be DirecTV HD-DVR, PS3, AppleTV, and possibly an XBox.

I have gone back and forth on the two brands. Pioneer obviously has the airplay built in and the 1021 gets really good reviews but I hear the GUI is pretty crap. I have always wanted to try out Yamaha 710 or 810 and I hear their iphone/ipad app as well as the GUI is much better than Pioneer's, but there doesn't seem to be many reviews out there.

From a price stand point, I am leaning more towards the Pioneer 1021 or the Yamaha 710, but quite frankly if the higher end models are really buying me something that I just "can't live without" I could/would spend the money.

At the end of the day I know all 4 units will meet my needs. I would just like to hear from you experts out there and get any opinions on the matter.

Thanks in advance for opinions that could be offered.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Not really gonna be much help here but i just picked up the 800 lasts years 810 for 300 clearance at Best Buy heck of a deal if you ask me. Had the vsx40 and the vsx 31 elites and this is by far easier to use and i like how it has pre outs so when i get my B&Ws down the road i can amp them so i won't need a new receiver. Just my .02

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any other thoughts? Does anyone have the Yamaha yet? Haven't seen too many threads around the 710 and 810 yet.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Given the size of your room, it might be worth it for you to go for the higher priced models. Between the 810 and the 1121, I would go with the 1121 primarily because it offers airplay and a better video scaler as well as slightly more power, but if video processing or air play are not critical, then I would actually get neither and be looking at last years models in the following order: Pioneer sc-35, Yamaha A1000, Pioneer vsx-32 or Pioneer vsx-1120. You can get incredible deals on these now, and can probably get the 1120 or vsx-32 for the same price as the 710/1021 (although you might need to purchase a square trade warranty for the Elites).

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
Read the fine print of any and all warranties you purchase for an Elite online. Elite and Integra can NOT be purchased online. If you do, you don't get a warranty for the manufacturer.

I have not read Squaretrades fine print, but I would presume that their warranty only applies when the warranty from the manufacturer applies.

That is the reason why you can't even use a "warranty doubling/extending" credit card on an online purchase of Elite/Integra. The credit card company has nothing to extend/double.

What is the difference between "after the fact" Elite and Integra online sales?

Elite couldn't care less, you just don't get a warranty.

Integra will chase down the paper trail and sue all involved(which usually just means the offenders have their ability to sell Integra removed)

·
Registered
40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269 /forum/post/20837662

I have not read Squaretrades fine print, but I would presume that their warranty only applies when the warranty from the manufacturer applies.

Nope. This is what ST's fine print says: "If the manufacturer refuses to honor their warranty because they consider your item grey market or not purchased from an authorized retailer, we will still cover you."

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkwak /forum/post/20837542

Given the size of your room, it might be worth it for you to go for the higher priced models. Between the 810 and the 1121, I would go with the 1121 primarily because it offers airplay and a better video scaler as well as slightly more power, but if video processing or air play are not critical, then I would actually get neither and be looking at last years models in the following order: Pioneer sc-35, Yamaha A1000, Pioneer vsx-32 or Pioneer vsx-1120. You can get incredible deals on these now, and can probably get the 1120 or vsx-32 for the same price as the 710/1021 (although you might need to purchase a square trade warranty for the Elites).

The Yamaha a1000 does look attractive as it can be found for around $600 these days. Looking at yamaha's site there seems to be, at least looking at the comparison chart, very little difference between the 1000 and the 1010. That being said, do you know of anything in the newer line that I would be missing if I went with last year's model?

·
Registered
7,810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbarnes /forum/post/20849137

The Yamaha a1000 does look attractive as it can be found for around $600 these days. Looking at yamaha's site there seems to be, at least looking at the comparison chart, very little difference between the 1000 and the 1010. That being said, do you know of anything in the newer line that I would be missing if I went with last year's model?

Not enough to warrant the price difference. I would go for the 1000 over the 710/810 and for that matter the 1010 if it were me. JMHO.

·
Registered
651 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 /forum/post/20849616

Not enough to warrant the price difference. I would go for the 1000 over the 710/810 and for that matter the 1010 if it were me. JMHO.

There is a lot of good discussion happening here regards Yamaha vs Pio +'s and -'s (actually, damn few minus's either way!!) and could lead to a very fun choice by OP.

If sound implementation is the sine-qua-non, give a hard look at Pio Elite SC-35 via Costco online. At $0.75k per unit (with Costco behind it for minimum two years, full replacement/refund) it should be VERY hard to pass-up if you absolutely, positively, have to upgrade at this time.

Though having been a Yamaha guy for some time, and considering a $399 Yamaha from Newegg (rxv867, very nice unit), I know that If I had 400 to burn on an AVR at this time, I'd think hard about digging deep for one of the near flagship Pioneers just for the sound. And the better auto room EQ. And the better scaling chipset.... oh well.

Best of luck with your choice. You'll not go far wrong with any of the units you are currently considering.

Mkard

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You are correct about not really having a bad choice in the bunch. I listened to the Yamaha a1000 and the Pioneer Elite today at BB. Both sounded great... with the Pioneer being slightly better IMO. BB's prices pretty much suck across the board so I will likely not buy there unless the store manager can work some magic.

I don't absolutely have to upgrade right now. I may wait this out a few months and see just how low some of the older models go and just how big the sales are on the new units around Thanksgiving/Christmas time frame.

NewEgg and Costco are tempting me though...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts