AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a question for all you out there.

Let's say you have $5,000ish to spend for a DLP projector for a home theater. Of course you don't have to spend it all but usually the more money you spend the better things get. It will be used for viewing DVD's, Sat. broadcasts mostly. The room dimensions are roughly 14.5' X 16'. What projector would you choose and why?????

Thanks in advance,

Jim

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Assuming you have good light control, the Seleco HT200DM or possibly the new Infocus that will be released in a month. The Seleco has the new RGBRGB wheel that apparently reduces rainbow greatly. And the Selecos have gotten consistent rave reviews on contrast, black level and color.

If you and none of your viewers are seriously rainbow sensitive, second choice is a Thumperized NEC LT150. Again, you'll need real good light control to get the most out of this projector.

Those would be the first two I'd look at.

Dan

·
Registered
388 Posts
The Seleco has a pretty long throw doesn't it? It might not be able to create an image as large as desired in a 14' x 16' room. Is the HT200M different from the plain HT200?

I agree the LT150 sounds like a good choice. It has a short throw, is tiny and could be mounted anywhere on the ceiling or used on coffee table, and it has a good picture (from all accounts). As with any DLP, you would want to make sure rainbow wasn't a problem for you. -- Herb

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you sure you all are staying that price range?????

Where can you get the Seleco 200DM for around $5K?????

Also, room will have great light control. One window (per code!!!!!!) that will be blacked out when needed.

Jim

·
Banned
1,749 Posts
See the thread "LT150's price is up". It is still on this page below. Do the search, I just saw someone who still has it for $3299. I don't know if they will actually sell it for that, but that is what comes up. I paid $3250 for mine from PCnation but they have raised prices.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Randall:

WHOOPS--got my projectors mixed up.

Just go with the LT350 the way it is. But don't pay the new price for it. Instead, wait a few weeks for the new Infocus HT projector.

Dan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.