Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

I know that the mighty 1209/2 has 9" LC tubes, and the 8500Ultra

has 8" non-LC, and that will probably make the shift towards the 1209.

But the 8500Ultra is a much newer design, can be upgraded and are

still in production. It should have a very clean video-path(AFAIK),

and, according to the datasheet, have the highest MTBF rating.

So if we look at all pros and cons, where would you put your vote,

and money, in 2004?

Thanks,

Nicholas

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
Personally I'd likely still go with the Barco especially if you could convince Curt to do his "mods" on it that increase its robustness for greater reliability.

If the Barco is new enough to have gamma control and zone contrast, etc. then I'd definitely go with it. The Marquee is a great chassis, and the Ultra has tons of upgrades already done to it, but there's no reason why you can't use the theories behind the upgrades on the Marquee to map out a path of upgrades for the Barco, and in the end, those 9"LC tubes are still going to be 9" LC tubes.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Nicholas,

The 1209/2 is a good choice. It is after all a 9" and has Liquid coupled lenses. The video path is perhaps a little more noisy than a 1209s, but it cannot be noticed from your seating position. The difference is not that dramatic. It is more likely that your source or cables are the weak link in this chain. A good (extron) switcher can do good things here!

What can be noticed however is the higher resolution from a 9", especially with HD material, and of course the higher contrast from the liquid coupled lenses. I personally really like LC a lot.

And as a bonus you can fit color filtered C-elements from 3M Precision Optics (former USPL, do a search) to get better color reproduction. A new calibration is required of course.

This way you get a projector which is hard to beat!

Good luck choosing.

Reinier

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Reinier and Paul, thanks.

I would like to hear what the Marquee-voters have to say about their

choice...anyone?

Nich

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, no-one will argue for their vote on the 8500Ultra?

:)

Nich

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.