AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I consider myself a DLP guy (own 4 DLP projectors) and am looking for a DLP equivalent to Panny's AE4000. What would you consider equivalent to the AE4000 in the DLP world? I am asking for subjective answer of course. My primary requirement is picture quality. Feature, lens memory is of no interest to me. =)

Here is what I personally consider equivalent to AE4000:

1) Mitsubishi HC3800

2) Benq W5000

3) Benq W6000

4) Vivitek H5080

5) Sharp xvz15000 - not so sure about this

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
935 Posts
Everyone of those is probably at least the optical equal of the Panny. The whole purpose of the 4000 is the feature set. Sure it might have reasonably good picture quality as well, but it's the enormous feature set that sets its apart from the masses. If you don't need those features, then there's probably no reason to even consider it.

Jim

·
Registered
644 Posts
Benq W6000

- twice as bright as ae4000 - brightness overcomes a lot of projector flaws

- significantly better ANSI contrast - very important on all but the darkest scenes

- iris for those dark times - only useful in a total light controlled room, otherwise turn it off

- very sharp - always pleasing to the eye

- does 48 and 96 fps (but not FI) - helps to reduce jutter but not as good as FI

- more saturated color, especially in the dark scenes - an important feature

·
Registered
998 Posts
For around $2000 I would tend to agree, the Benq W6000 does seem to be the best DLP on offer at the moment. I picked up a Sharp Z15000 for just over half that and, according to Art from projectorreviews, it has comparable black levels to the AE4000, probably edges out the HC3800 and Vivitek. Its a good cheaper option but very limited placement due to such short throw - great picture though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts