AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to add both speakers and a receiver to a TV room for 70% movies and TV shows and 30% music. I can't manage to figure out what the best set-up would be. My budget is around $850 for both the receiver and the speakers (shipped) and would like to have these ordered within the next 10 days or so.

It is not a large room, about 12 x 12 with a 9 foot ceiling. It is wood flooring with a carpet that takes up most of the space, leaving about 2 feet of wood exposed near the tv, and 1 and a half feet in the back of the room. The couch sticks out till about 3 feet because of a radiator, which leaves 9 feet from the wall to the listening position. If a subwoofer is going to be included, I wouldn't want it to be too big.

I can't decide between a 2.0, 2.1, or 3.0 system for my situation. The L/R speakers would be on bookshelves, so I am thinking front ported or sealed bookshelf speakers because the bookshelf itself is only 15 inches deep, although I am not positive how much space rear-ported speakers need. I also have the problem of not being able to demo these speakers because I will be coming from Canada into the States for a week and will only be able to get speakers shipped to where I'm staying and then drive them home.

I've looked mostly at the SVS SCS-02s and SBS-02s, although I am not a big fan of having 20 inch bookshelf speakers so I am wondering how much of a performance drop I'm getting from going from the scs to the sbs. I have not had much success finding speakers that are rear ported and have heard that the SVS speakers are great although a sub is recommended with them. Although 5.1 may happen someday, it might not be for another few years so I am willing to rule that out for now.

For receivers, I have been looking mainly at the under $300 level and have heard great things about the Denon 591 but it seems to be unavailable and I would probably have to go with the 1611. I'm also interested in the Pioneer VSX-920 because of the direct iPod input and its cheaper than the Denon ones.

Sorry about all the reading

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
I would suggest sticking to the proposed budget for the receiver. Then consider the Wharfedale Diamond 10.1s for $350 or less a pair. They are not fussy about placement and rear spacing. This would allow some of the budget for a small sub, which you will need with your stated usage. Here's one link to the speakers:

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-15476-w...peaker-pr.aspx

The 10.1s are very well reviewed and are a remarkable buy at whatever price you can get them. Trying to go with a larger bookshelf design for better bass response would not be a good use of your limited budget IMO. You would still want a sub. Many would say buying a small sub in the $200-250 range could also be considered a waste ... but I disagree. It helps that your room is small. If you could get a form of Audyssey or other Room EQ in the receiver, that would be a plus. Also a good phantom center mode will be very useful until a Center channel can be added in.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
in your smaller room, the SBS-02's should work fine.

My recommendation is to start with a 3.0 system, and add a modest powered subwoofer to bring it up to a 3.1 as soon as the budget permits. While a 2.0 or 2.1 system will work fine as a "phantom center", the stereo image sweetspot is relatively small, so only the guy sitting in just the "best seat in the house" will get full advantage of the dialog "centered" on the screen.

3.0 because your "front 3" speakers should be timbre matched...same manufacturer, same speaker series. Sometimes when you start off with the FL and FR speakers, the center channel speaker can be hard to find later if models change or are discontinued.

As far as a receiver goes, good sales prices now with the model change to 2012 models.

Onkyo NR509 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882120176

this gives you network and internet connections for a decent price.

You might also consider a factory authorized refurbished unit, Onkyo and Marantz have authorized this dealer to resell their gear http://www.accessories4less.com/make...ceivers/1.html

Watch for sales on the Denon 1611 (very similar to the 591).

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Whereabouts in Canada are you? Have you looked at canuckaudiomart for used deals?

In your 12x12 room where are the seats? If they are front and centre then you can get away with a "phantom" centre and start with a 2.1.

You have music at 30% so I would try for a decent musical sub (like an Hsu STF-2 or something).

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Whether you go with 2.0, 3.0, or 2.1 is really all about personal preference here.

For me, the obvious choice would be a 2.1 setup because I really want the .1 bass track if I'm watching 70% TV and Movies.

For some others, the 3.0 choice would be easy because they want that center channel dialogue coming from the source (near the TV) and that's really important in TV and movies.

I can't envision a scenario where 2.0 would win unless you plan to add the .1 or center channel very shortly thereafter, and are only doing so to get better components for the time being up to your budget.

There are tons of choices out there, but I'd start with 30-40% of your budget on the receiver, and then allocate the rest to speakers.

-Chad

EDIT: I would take a good long look at Onkyo receivers. In your price point, they offer some of the most features for the money. I'd be sure you buy something with a subwoofer out (some of those budget receivers simply don't have a sub pre-out) and pre-outs in general would be a consideration for me also.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye11 /forum/post/20769508

Whether you go with 2.0, 3.0, or 2.1 is really all about personal preference here.

For me, the obvious choice would be a 2.1 setup because I really want the .1 bass track if I'm watching 70% TV and Movies.

For some others, the 3.0 choice would be easy because they want that center channel dialogue coming from the source (near the TV) and that's really important in TV and movies.

I can't envision a scenario where 2.0 would win unless you plan to add the .1 or center channel very shortly thereafter, and are only doing so to get better components for the time being up to your budget.

There are tons of choices out there, but I'd start with 30-40% of your budget on the receiver, and then allocate the rest to speakers.

-Chad

EDIT: I would take a good long look at Onkyo receivers. In your price point, they offer some of the most features for the money. I'd be sure you buy something with a subwoofer out (some of those budget receivers simply don't have a sub pre-out) and pre-outs in general would be a consideration for me also.

Mostly agree except for the receiver budget. I'd look hard to find a decent used or prior year receiver on liquidation for $200 - $250 and plan to upgrade AVR in a couple of years.

Speakers (and sub) will have far more impact on your listening enjoyment then a receiver at this point.

Just my $0.02

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
On that sort of budget, I would allocate as little as I could on the receiver. Look for a refurbished unit with the features you want and no more. Get an affordable sub (perhaps a Bic) and look for used speakers in your city on canuck audio mart, or else stick with 3.1 (or 2.1 if you are confident to be able to get the matching center later on when and if you want it). Your biggest bang for the buck is in speakers at this (and almost any) price point.

Edit: What Rick said... I might not even have posted anything other than 'I agree' had I seen his post.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240 /forum/post/20769528

Mostly agree except for the receiver budget. I'd look hard to find a decent used or prior year receiver on liquidation for $200 - $250 and plan to upgrade AVR in a couple of years.

Speakers (and sub) will have far more impact on your listening enjoyment then a receiver at this point.

Just my $0.02

If used is an option, that's one way to go too. I bought a Denon AVR-5800 a couple years ago for $650 on Craigslist and absolutely love it. I can't touch the power and features for anything new for under $2,500 probably. Of course I don't have HDMI, new audio codecs, etc but really don't care.

I see where you're coming from Rick and agree the majority of the SQ comes down to speakers and sub. I also believe in building from a solid foundation too... but like I said, if used is an option I'd certainly recommend that route. You could probably pick up a nice Denon 3000 series for $300 used, but I'm completely guessing here.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the replies guys. Rick, I am in Ottawa.

I am fairly convinced on the Onkyo 509 after seeing the price and the SBS-02s seem to be a good fit. I'm convinced that a 2.1 system is the way to go for now. What would you guys recommend as a sub in the $300 range?

·
Registered
1,785 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ross814 /forum/post/20777135

Thanks for all the replies guys. Rick, I am in Ottawa.

I am fairly convinced on the Onkyo 509 after seeing the price and the SBS-02s seem to be a good fit. I'm convinced that a 2.1 system is the way to go for now. What would you guys recommend as a sub in the $300 range?

Go to this page:

http://www.acousticsounddesign.com/c...pid=1555&sc=28

Choose the "make an offer" button and offer them $269 shipped. I hear that's the best offer they will take. For $300 it's hard to beat. A friend of mine just bought one. It's deep and plenty of power. I was surprised at the power it had for the price point actually.

-Chad

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What do people think about Lava subs? They seem to have pretty good prices. After looking through the clearance section at Vann's, I've seen some Denon 591s for 210-220 so I might go that route. And I have heard that the Bic subs are not the best for music, or am I wrong?

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
For your budget to get receiver and 2.1 or 3.1 I'd consider used. Here's a few samples:

subwoofer

Paradigm PDR-10 , in Ottawa, asking $250, probably take $200

or this DSP-3100 in Hamilton for $350 (I had onew of these, and they are great in the

·
Registered
1,785 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ross814 /forum/post/20781023

What do people think about Lava subs? They seem to have pretty good prices. After looking through the clearance section at Vann's, I've seen some Denon 591s for 210-220 so I might go that route. And I have heard that the Bic subs are not the best for music, or am I wrong?

I didn't listen to my friend's BIC sub for music so I really can't comment. His room is also pretty small and has wood floors that aren't really treated for reflections either, so he's maybe got more bass due to room gain than many others might.

That being said, I think under $300 for a sub and you'll have trouble finding too many subs that are "good for music". My 2 cents.

Cheers,

Chad

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.