AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to start on my third (and hopefully last) HT. It has been a few years since the last HT so I am a little out of touch with the latest projectors and HT construction techniques (e.g. GreenGlue).

I have up to a 22' x 15'8" area available in the basement. I would like to have two rows of three seats. Although I plan to start with a 16:9 screen, I plan to eventually switch to a 2.35 constant height setup.

Terry Montlick's room dimension calculator, using a height of 7.9' and length of 22', indicates I should I should reduce the width to 15' or less. What is the acoustical impact of a 15'8" width vs. a 15' width?

As shown in the diagram, the far left of the space has some ducting which reduces the ceiling height to 7'5'. There is also another section of ducting which would limit the ceiling height to 7'11".

My plan is to place the screen on the left end, where I can easily hide the low ceiling height in the proscenium then fir down the remainder of the ceiling to the 7'11 height.

Any other idea's of how I should handle of varying ceiling heights? Any other way I should be configuring this space?

Thanks,

Wavy

·
Registered
133 Posts
You hardly ever hear of someone wanting to make a room smaller or the ceilings lower. I would leave the width as is. I think I would drop the ceiling under the 7"11 area to 7"5 and then leave the 8"2 ceiling as is. Between the ducts you could put some lights to shine down on your screen wall.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like your idea of stepping the ceiling from 8'2" to 7'11" to 7'5". Thanks. The screen will almost certainly go on the 7'5" wall just so I have more headroom when standing on the riser for the second row of seating.

I am hoping the acoustical guys will chime in regarding the impact of a 15'8" width vs 15' on the room modes. Considering the stepped ceiling, is there an easy way to get an idea of the room modes using any of the spread sheets out there?

Thanks,

Wavy

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavy /forum/post/12977135

I like your idea of stepping the ceiling from 8'2" to 7'11" to 7'5".

Visually you might want to step it in two equal steps.

8' 2" to 7' 9.5" to to 7' 5"

Another idea, if you really want to make a statement is to round the front both of the steps into the room and use bull-nose edging. If it's rounded it will look intentional rather than something you did to hide a Duct. Lastly do something with a stage that repeats the shape.

Napkin 2.0:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bigmouth,

You are good. I like the curved steps. I will have to consider whether this is doable with my carpentry skills. One thing I didn't mention is that I will have the standard soffits around the sides and back of the room for HVAC and wiring. I guess I could just have the curved ceiling steps flow out of the soffit??

Wavy

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
Lots of folks use curved fronts with soffits. Here is mine.

Because width is an issue in my room, I'd be reluctant to give too much up. You're finished dimensions are likely to be a bit different also. But it would help if a pro chimed in.

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavy /forum/post/12977787

I will have to consider whether this is doable with my carpentry skills.

If you can imagine it, you can build it. In my experience you might not succeed on the first attempt, just use screws, consider it practice and redo if necessary.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts