AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
with all of your knowledge of the problems with each model, which would you chose and why?

2 options:

52" Sony XBR4 - used about 15 hours for $1,375 + paypal fees + half of shipping cost = probably about $1,500

52" Sony XBR9 - brand new - $1,925 shipped

???

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
xbr4 model is 2 years old, has worse colors, black levels, motion handling has lots of artifacts, also worse with standard def, not as sharp as the newer TVs, has the fancy glass bezel if you like the looks.

xbr9 is this years model, has much better contrasts, colors, handles SD better, more sharpness, and has a much smaller bezel.

Really, the only advantage i think the xbr4 has is the appearance with its glass surround. The picture is much much better on the newer xbr9. theres no question as to which one is nicer to watch stuff on... xbr9 all the way. Plus the original msrp on that tv was over $3000 and that was 3 months ago. good deal IMO

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetrash66 /forum/post/17034484

xbr4 model is 2 years old, has worse colors, black levels, motion handling has lots of artifacts, also worse with standard def, not as sharp as the newer TVs, has the fancy glass bezel if you like the looks.

xbr9 is this years model, has much better contrasts, colors, handles SD better, more sharpness, and has a much smaller bezel.

Really, the only advantage i think the xbr4 has is the appearance with its glass surround. The picture is much much better on the newer xbr9. theres no question as to which one is nicer to watch stuff on... xbr9 all the way. Plus the original msrp on that tv was over $3000 and that was 3 months ago. good deal IMO

that's what i was leaning towards, but wanted some expert opinions.

not that this has much to do with my decision, but:

i have the 40" xbr3 with the floating glass, which is nice (like the xbr4 has), but with the bigger 52" the floating glass makes it like 10" wider than my 40" and the xbr9 is only about 5" wider than my current xbr3.

also the xbr9 weighs a lot less than the xbr4 and is thinner

...so 1 vote for the xbr9 so far (i'm leaning that way, but haven't decided yet)

i'll probably pull the trigger tonight or tomorrow

·
Registered
1,127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dh4645 /forum/post/17034512

that's what i was leaning towards, but wanted some expert opinions.

not that this has much to do with my decision, but:

i have the 40" xbr3 with the floating glass, which is nice (like the xbr4 has), but with the bigger 52" the floating glass makes it like 10" wider than my 40" and the xbr9 is only about 5" wider than my current xbr3.

also the xbr9 weighs a lot less than the xbr4 and is thinner

...so 1 vote for the xbr9 so far (i'm leaning that way, but haven't decided yet)

i'll probably pull the trigger tonight or tomorrow

seriously though, the picture on the xbr4 doesn't compare to sonys new sets. I used to have the D3000 (only in europe and canada, same specs as the xbr4 but only 720p, but had motionflow) and it doesn't compare in any way. Also, if you game at all, the new 240 hertz have only 2ms response time, where the old xbr4s had 8 seconds (i think).

·
Banned
407 Posts
True that, but the XBR4 will still provide the best picture quality due to it's DRC capabilities.... which the new models do not have unfortunately.

But still, the XBR9 will do better on mostly every other thing than SD conversion and HD materials over the XBR4.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Used 2 year old TV for $1500 when for brand new for $1500 with TVs of now provides better picture and features. So noooooooo...

That's the lowest I ever seen the new Sony 52XBR9 at and if you just have to have a Sony then go for that.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
also i should have said the tv i get will mostly have hd sources...hd cable box, ps3, 360, etc.

there wont be too many times it'll have SD on it....maybe the random 480i tv show or an upscaled wii game (my onkyo receiver takes the component from the wii and ps2 and upscales to 720p, which it technically hd, but not)

so i'll most likely be getting the xbr 9 tonight or tomorrow.

the wife gave the thumbs up...mainly cause she only has to pay half and she also gets my xbr3 in her main tv room that i paid for before we got married

·
Banned
407 Posts
You guys don't realize how great DRC is though, it's most noticeable with SD but doesn't mean it's only for SD. It's also used for HD. Trust me, I've seen it and I can easily say it performed better image than the XBR6/7. Not sure about the XBR9 though.

It will make picture 'sharper' and 'pop'

BUt I still suggest the XBR9...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts