AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a RCA F38310 that I am getting ready to sell so I can buy a Pany AE100. It has a builtin direcTV receiver (DTC 100) and when I sell it I will no longer be able to get DirecTv unless I buy a new one. I have a Dish 6000 too but its not receiving anything other than the demo loop and hopefully soon Discovery Theater. But heres my dilema, at the local BB they have some RCA DTC-100's on openbox for 370 and I was looking at getting a Toshiba or Mits receiver since they have more features etc. but those run in the 500 range. With the impending merger should I go cheap and wait till the merger goes through or go ahead and buy a good one. Also I need to buy one before I sell the TV because I want to keep my card since I have HDO limited and HDnet for 12 (which you cant get anymore)

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
a) I am almost positive the card is not transferable. I am told that they are keyed to the receiver serial number. HDnet is free. I don't know what HDO limited is.

Tell D* that you are replacing it and they will cancel it on their systems. The new owner of your TV will need to get a new card for D* for $20.

b) This merger is likely to ne pending for a long time. I suspect that whatever you buy will be usable for 2 years.

I replaced a DTC-100 with a DST-3000 and the feature set is outstanding. I think you will be happy if you spend the extra $130. Probably happier than paying more per month for D* which may be unavoidable.

To get better input on the whole card transfer you might want to post something with a descriptive title like "Can I transfer my DTV card to a new receiver" in order to get more specific information. It might be a D* policy or it might be a hardware interlock. I don't know how much more you would have to pay or if D* might even do a "transfer" of your old account to a new receiver.

·
Registered
210 Posts
What you may want to do is buy a new reciever, add it as a mirrored box, since you already $5/month. Then shortly after (Maybe in a week or two) drop your current direct tv built in tuner. You may have a better chance of getting D* to keep your current billing doing it that way. I really don't have a comment on different STBs. I have a DTC100, and it works well for me.

---------------Dave

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jagouar
Well what kind of features doese the Toshiba have that the RCa doesnt?
It is the policy of DIRECTV not to transfer cards from one receiver to another. However, they make acceptions based on individual cases providing the receivers were the same make. I've been informed that different makes of receivers will not accept a card from another brand. I highly recommend the Toshiba which is a clone of the Hughes HIRD E-86. The Hughes combines all inputs into its Advanced Program Guide (no switching inputs to go from OTA to Sat to Cable). There is no internal fan. The APG has full programming for OTA stations. The remote control is a whole-house UHF remote. The receiver has caller ID. And there are a few other odds and ends that make this a superior receiver to the RCA. Incidentally it has a component output rather than the RCA VGA output.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
The all house UHF remote is only available with the Hughes. The clones (DST-3000, Mits HD5) do not have that particular feature.

The key thing is that the guide is very responsive. Lots of complaints on the forum about certain brands. The DTC-100 wasn't too bad but it is slower and IMHO ugly menus compared to the clones.

The other nice feature is that the guide is translucent and the station remains tuned and showing in the background. So during commercials you can surf the guide. On the DTC-100 thats limited to a quarter screen display which I found of limited use myself.

There is a single line guide which you can cursor around in with the TV tuned behind it and you have full functionality there to look around and bring up a synopsis without changing the station.

The guide is two weeks worth of program data which you can search and cursor around in. When is thenext Stanley Cup game? Easy just flip to Thursday in the guide and you can check it so the box tunes there at the right time. Or is it Friday?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.