AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, thanks to some well timed Dell deals, I have an opportunity, but not sure which way to go. When my systems are "redistributed", I will have a paid for computer that can be used for htpc, or I can sell it and get a sammy ts360. The system is a super quiet 2.8 p4 800mhz, but will need a vid card added - which I'll only have about $100 to work with right now unfortunately. So here is my current setup:

progressive DVD player,

charter's motorola Hi Def reciever,

and an XBox with Hi def cables,

all are running to a extron sw4 then a $75 ctc2 clone and onto my sony 1252q

I'm tempted to look at the ts360 but may only get a couple of ota channels in my areal - also - would I be able to feed the motorola's hd signal into it without destroying the signal?

On the flipside - an htpc sounds like a nice idea, but wouldn't I need a vid card with inputs for component to work with the xbox/high def/dvd? Guess I don't know quite as much as I'd like about this option

I'm curious to see where you would run with this and why, so by all means, any suggestions are appreciated (and any 3rd un-thought of ideas)

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm a big fan of HTPCs (I just started working for MS on Media Center Edition, tho, so what can I say?:) ) but if you want component video pass-though via a component-video capture card, I'm afraid you're going to be disappointed. The only lead I could find on such a thing (tho it HAS been months since I've tried) was a web page saying some company was working on one. The main difficulty, as I understand it, is that you can't get uncompressed HD video over a standard PCI bus, because the bandwidth simply isn't there. So, you either have to compress the incoming video into something like mpeg before moving it over the system bus (expensive, not to mention somewhat lossy, AND you'll introduce some significant video latency) or wait for a fatter system bus, like PCI-Express. Actually, as I understand it, HD video editing is one of the poster boy applications for PCI-Express. At any rate, component video capture cards are not a consumer reality yet. You'll need to use some sort of video switching mechanism outside of your HTPC for now.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Hi govgeek,

Let's see, sounds like you are running component devices through a transcoder into your projector. Is the ctc2 a transcoder?

If it is, you'll see a dramatic improvement in DVD playback by using an HTPC and driving the projector's RGB input with the HTPC video card. The 1252 is a great projector, and by running essentially 540p from a progressive DVD player you are not taking full advantage of the projector.

For OTA, you can get a MyHD 120 PC add-in card at your leisure.

Instrad of trying to run all your component stuff through the HTPC, add another IFB-10 or 11 input card to the Sony. $50 bucks on e-bay. Then sell the DVD player.

The Samsung TS 360 is a mediocre off air performer.

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
"On the flipside - an htpc sounds like a nice idea, but wouldn't I need a vid card with inputs for component to work with the xbox/high def/dvd?"

There is no such thing. DVD's on a HTPC are played using an internal DVD computer drive and powerdvd or etc software typically. (there are other options but not component in to a PC not at a reasonable price and just forget it.)

p4 800mhz? I didn't know there were p4's that slow. Sounds less than optimal... Should be dirt cheap that slow. $100 for a vid card is not a problem.

You've got some reading to do and from the misdirected ideas you started with I'd say skip it and get set top boxes and scalers. (I love HTPC's but they aren't for everyone.)

Troy

If you want HDTV from your HTPC then you would add a HDTV tuner card for OTA HD. If you want cable or SAT HD then it would be a seperate box having nothing to do with the HTPC.

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
If you're going to add an HDTV card to the HTPC then I would definitely go with the HTPC since it will have the best picture quality.

However, if you are going to use a transcoder, then you would be just as well off with the TS-360 that will allow you to feed your DVD player to it and scale to 720p (or 1080i if you want).

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the 800mhz is the front side bus (the processor runs at 2.8ghz - it is actually a zippy pc (low end server with a high end desktop motherboard). I have no fears of computers (technician with 10+ years of experience)- just never crossed into the av threshhold. Using the PC's DVD was a big duh for me - just a brainfart I guess. Never thought about adding the second card to the projector, I think I may be liking that idea, so If I have this correct:

Xbox, to the transcoder,than to pj's card

HTPC with DVD and HD + OTA card to pj's other card

Any suggestions for the best

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by govgeek
Also, I am assuming but not sure, does the pc hd card work with charters signal also, or do I need to keep the charter box.

The ts360 was tempting in it's simplicity (and I just don't feel right sticking with that cheaper transcoder and locking in dvd playback to 480p) but if you guys think the quality difference between that and an htpc is definately noticable then I may have to rule it out.

If you need a cable box, you can't use an internal HDTV card, that's for OTA signals.

The 360 box is the best choice if you wanted Direct TV. I use a 360 just for OTA and DVD input on projectors with no component input because it has RGBHV out and no transcoder is needed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.