AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Give me a few good shots at this,I'm leaning towards a plasma this time and keeping my 40" sammy LCD for gamming (I think) anyway if anyone could give some input on these TC-P50G15 or the Sammy PN50B650. The room is somwhat lighted daytime Most viewing will be nighttime and the room will be darkened. Whats the better display and why????

Thanks again in advance, manforditis

·
Registered
111 Posts
Samsung 'cuz stuff.

·
Registered
111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by csgamer /forum/post/16992214

Panasonic g is better because i own one and say so.

Despite my prior recommendation, OP should heed this post because I love it.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Get a Pioneer 500m if you need 50 Inch display for movie watching. Best movie watching display you can buy for ~2000 or less ( if you look hard enough you can find this for 1800ish)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, but i am still crossed a little!!! why is one display better/worse over the other? could you be a little more specific? PLEEEZE, its crunch time for me,malady is demanding the WOW factor in our next display and I can't fail her now

·
Registered
51 Posts
I don't know anything about those two models. But I picked plasma because it looked better in normal room light, Off access viewing was much better and I have little ones and plasma seems a little more rugged for little hands. Now after having it for awhile people who visit are impressed by the color vibrancy compared to their sets. I picked a LG50pg60 not a very well respected set.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The two sets are very close. According to CNET, the Panasonic will give you deeper black levels, while the Samsung has more accurate colors.

The Panasonic has THX Mode, which will give you a great picture if you don't plan on having the display professionally calibrated.

The Samsung's internet features are similar to the Panasonic, if a bit sluggish, but you can make the set wireless with the addition of an optional wireless dongle.

So, if you're not planning on having a calibration done go with the Panasonic. If you are, then ask your lady which one has a prettier frame and go with that one.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Pioneer KRP500M won the flat panel shootout. It's also not all that expensive. Price/performance ratio makes it a no-brainer IMO.

I own the Pioneer 111FD. Amazing display. With the KRP500M you will not be disappointed, in my opinion.

·
Registered
686 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manforditis /forum/post/16997020

Thanks guys, but i am still crossed a little!!! why is one display better/worse over the other? could you be a little more specific? PLEEEZE, its crunch time for me,malady is demanding the WOW factor in our next display and I can't fail her now

Keep in mind that the g15 has no better picture over the g10, so you should get the g10 unless you like the bezel of the g15 or can get it for same price.

I was actually thinking about the g10 and b650 about a month ago but went with the panny.

I feel panasonic was better for me because i don't like the tint on the samsung b650, it seems to crush black shadow detail. I tried adjusting in store, but didn't look as good as the panny. Some say the tint makes daytime viewing better, but i still don't like it. You may like it, i dunno.

To me the panasonic g10 colors are accurate enough in CUSTOM mode. Skin tones look pretty damn accurate for me.

Black level and shadow detail were the biggest deciding factor for me, so i chose panasonic. Also i'm a big gamer, and i didn't test it out but i hear that there is input lag with games if you don't use gaming mode with the samsung. Both have issues with 24p playback. G10 has some flicker, which i don't find bothersome. Samsung has some bug which changes black level on 24p playback when you change settings in menu, dunno if it's been fixed with firmware, i think there is workarounds for it.

One thing about the samsung i really liked was the bezel to me looks so much better than the panasonic and the samsung has swivel stand.

After a month of ownership i have no regrets.

·
Registered
686 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrady3324 /forum/post/16993446

Get a Pioneer 500m if you need 50 Inch display for movie watching. Best movie watching display you can buy for ~2000 or less ( if you look hard enough you can find this for 1800ish)

I disagree, around 2000 bucks, i would start looking for larger sizes.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I just wish Panny had a panel that swivels and is as thin as the Sammy 860 for the same money.

·
Registered
78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by csgamer /forum/post/16998237

I disagree, around 2000 bucks, i would start looking for larger sizes.

There's nothing that touches the KRP-500M and 101FD sets in picture quality....NOTHING. This is the experts' consensus. Now, if you can get close with a 58" or larger set for $2000 or less then a slight trade-off may be warranted.....but...what's out there that comes close? Nothing under $2000 that is larger than 50" can come close enough IMO.

You can get a 54" G10, but the extra 4" is barely noticeable while the lesser picture is very noticeable. Not a good trade-off IMO. You can get the 58" Samsung 5 series, but again the lesser picture quality is very noticeable especially in regards to the black level. Again, the trade-off for 8" isn't worth it IMO.

Yeah, I myself wanted a 58" or larger set to replace my current 50" Panny, but greatly improved black level and color accuracy is much more important so I grabbed a KRP-500M the other day on Ebay for $1700 shipped with the tabletop stand.

If Samsung's blacks were pretty close to Kuro levels then I probably would've gone that route, but they're nowhere near it so that made the decision pretty easy. Now, if the 58" Panny V10 would have been under $2000 that would have been hard to ignore since the blacks are close enough that I could live with it, but its much more expensive than that which again made the Pioneer decision pretty easy. Ideally I would have went with the KRP-600M, but I had budget constraints and for $2000 or less I just don't see anything worth getting over a KRP-500M.

·
Registered
46 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lojack1976 /forum/post/17003664

There's nothing that touches the KRP-500M and 101FD sets in picture quality....NOTHING.

Exactly.

If you're looking for the best PQ available, there's no way around it. If you're looking for a good TV but want a good bang for the buck, then you're probably better of with a Panny.

That said, the price for the KRP500 is amazing IMO. Yes, you get larger displays from other brands but then again what's the point? Reference PQ & blacks or best price/performance ratio?

For me it was the reference PQ hands down...

·
Registered
89 Posts

Quote:

There's nothing that touches the KRP-500M and 101FD sets in picture quality....NOTHING.

+1 I got my 500m for $1900 delivered and it IS the BEST! NO other plasma maker comes close to this yet. Maybe in a few years they will, but not their current models. Ya, you trade off a bigger size for the picture quality for sub $2k. However it is worth it big time! I am completly submersed by the picture sitting at ~10ft away because the picture is so unbelievable. Try to find an actual hometheater store, and not bestbuy type store. The actual hometheater stores that calibrate their sets and put them in an actual 'home' type environment will show you how great these sets are!

·
Registered
686 Posts
I guess people just have different opinions. Sure the 500m is probably the best 50" plasma, but 50" size is pretty dinky.

The picture quality from panny to pioneer may be more important to you. But a 54" size to 50" would be more noticeable to me over the picture quality difference between a pioneer or panny. Size isn't everything though but i probably would get a larger size panasonic, don't like the samsungs as much.

I went with 50" g10 due to wife budget limits. I would have definitely bought the pioneer 500m but price was way over the price i paid for the g10.

·
Registered
78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by csgamer /forum/post/17003825

I guess people just have different opinions. Sure the 500m is probably the best 50" plasma, but 50" size is pretty dinky.

The picture quality from panny to pioneer may be more important to you. But a 54" size to 50" would be more noticeable to me over the picture quality difference between a pioneer or panny. Size isn't everything though but i probably would get a larger size panasonic, don't like the samsungs as much.

I went with 50" g10 due to wife budget limits. I would have definitely bought the pioneer 500m but price was way over the price i paid for the g10.

Like I said I would love to get a bigger set, but after looking at so many TV's over the last few months I found that it would have been too much of a compromise in picture quality for me. I too considered a 54" G10, but after seeing one beside a 50" in the store the size difference was barely noticeable and I'm afraid that if I brought one home I wouldn't notice a size upgrade at all. I would have just regretted not going for the better picture at that point which is the main reason I'm upgrading in the first place. It may be more noticeable to others, but the leap I took from 42" to 50" was way more of a jump than 50" to 54" for me.

I've seen the V10 series and I must admit that its very impressive, but the pricing still doesn't do it for me. The 50" costs just as much as the KRP-500M and there is still a sizable performance gap. If it were 58" at the $2000 price point then the trade-off would be warranted to me since the V10's black level is close enough that I wouldn't be disappointed and I would be getting a very noticeable increase in size. Unfortunately my ideal price for that set is not even close.

In fact, the best Panny that I've seen of recent is the Z series. I haven't seen any in depth reviews, but I looked at one at my local Magnolia Best Buy sitting next to a Samsung 860 with a Pioneer 141FD above it and its very impressive. The difference in black level from the Pioneer was very small....noticeable when heavily scrutinized, but noticeable nevertheless. The picture was still very impressive and the sleek styling with it being very thin is very attractive.

At the right price I could easily live with it, but there are two problems. One is that it only comes in a 54" model and two is that its $4500. If it were 58" or 60" and below $3000 then it would be an attractive alternative. Even Samsung's very thin 58" 860 can be had for under $3000 online which would be another good option if black level were better. So even in the under $3000 price point there's nothing touching the KRP-600M.

I think Panasonic would have given us better pricing on their better models had Pioneer decided to stay in the TV business, but with the best making an exit they know that they command these prices. And even though Panasonic is the new black level champ with Pioneer going the way of the dodo they better get their act together with color accuracy. The new models disappoint me greatly in that department.

My 10G Panny is way more accurate than the new models save for the Z series which I find to be very accurate. This oversight has sent a lot people Samsung's way this year where a small sacrifice in black level gave us a much more accurate picture...even more accurate than most Pioneer sets. If Samsung could have matched Panasonic in the black level arena Panasonic would be in big trouble this year since Samsung's pricing is very competitive. After the TV Shootout this year I think Panasonic will correct this with the 13G sets because I'm sure that they were very disappointed to have the V10 come in behind the Samsung 860 and the LG LED LCD in most people's eyes. I know that I was disappointed when I saw the greenish/yellowish push on all but the Z series myself.

·
Registered
13 Posts

Quote:

There's nothing that touches the KRP-500M and 101FD sets in picture quality....NOTHING. This is the experts' consensus. Now, if you can get close with a 58" or larger set for $2000 or less then a slight trade-off may be warranted.....but...what's out there that comes close? Nothing under $2000 that is larger than 50" can come close enough IMO.

You can get a 54" G10, but the extra 4" is barely noticeable while the lesser picture is very noticeable. Not a good trade-off IMO. You can get the 58" Samsung 5 series, but again the lesser picture quality is very noticeable especially in regards to the black level. Again, the trade-off for 8" isn't worth it IMO.

Yeah, I myself wanted a 58" or larger set to replace my current 50" Panny, but greatly improved black level and color accuracy is much more important so I grabbed a KRP-500M the other day on Ebay for $1700 shipped with the tabletop stand.

If Samsung's blacks were pretty close to Kuro levels then I probably would've gone that route, but they're nowhere near it so that made the decision pretty easy. Now, if the 58" Panny V10 would have been under $2000 that would have been hard to ignore since the blacks are close enough that I could live with it, but its much more expensive than that which again made the Pioneer decision pretty easy. Ideally I would have went with the KRP-600M, but I had budget constraints and for $2000 or less I just don't see anything worth getting over a KRP-500M.

Thank you so much for this response. You just made my decision for me. I was considering a 50 inch sammy, or a 54 in panny. After a few short hours researching this tv, I wondered why I hadn't seen this tv before?

Thanks guy!

·
Registered
78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD3 /forum/post/17005281

Thank you so much for this response. You just made my decision for me. I was considering a 50 inch sammy, or a 54 in panny. After a few short hours researching this tv, I wondered why I hadn't seen this tv before?

Thanks guy!

I'm glad I could be of some help. By the way, the Ebay seller that I bought from has nine more available right now for $1700 shipped with the stand. His ID is quickclicksales if you or anyone else is looking to grab one now. You can get the 3-year SquareTrade warranty for $119 too.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.