AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having to upgrade to get hdcp 2.2 compatibility :( and on a budget.
I currently have a lovely Denon AVR-X4000, which I love. I can currently get the x4200 (used) or the S950 (refurbished for the same price. Which would you recommend? Are there key features in the s950 that I shouldn't do without? The X4200 has HDR, HDR10, and BT2020 color pass through. What am I missing?
THANKS!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should also say its a pretty big room, about 24x24' in the actual theater areas with adjoining areas on either side, about 700 sq. feet total. I'm driving Vandersteen speakers, and 2 DIY subs.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
HEOS is what you are missing (IMHO!), for that reason alone is worth it. Also there is the 2016 app v the 2013 app ( if you use that) . do you use the 3rd zone? I realize budgets can be tight, but if you could do the 4400 H, that would be the ticket...

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
The 4200 hands down, unless you need a feature found on the S950 (HEOS or eARC for example). Audyssey XT32 and Sub EQ HT is much better room correction, much more power, 9 channel processing should you decide to go the Atmos route, etc.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I agree that the Audyssey MultEQ XT32 is the big feature to get. You have 2 subs and a large area. Sub integration and room correction is far superior and it looks like you could use it.
If you check the firmware updates in the 2015 Denon FAQ, it supports HDR10, HLG and Dolby Vision. It may not overlay volume info or the GUI, but that's a pretty small price to pay, IMHO.
As pointed out before, it can process for a 5.1.4 Atmos setup.
If you want streaming capabilities, you could get a Phorus PR5 and make it a Play-Fi AVR instead of a HEOS one very inexpensively.
Besides the GUI/Volume overlay, you miss out on eARC. Most of the other features are probably not missed or easily added such as bluetooth transmit/receive.

The S950H of course has a factory warranty and probably can be extended.

I'm having to upgrade to get hdcp 2.2 compatibility :( and on a budget.
I currently have a lovely Denon AVR-X4000, which I love. I can currently get the x4200 (used) or the S950 (refurbished for the same price. Which would you recommend? Are there key features in the s950 that I shouldn't do without? The X4200 has HDR, HDR10, and BT2020 color pass through. What am I missing?
THANKS!
The 4200 hands down, unless you need a feature found on the S950 (HEOS or eARC for example). Audyssey XT32 and Sub EQ HT is much better room correction, much more power, 9 channel processing should you decide to go the Atmos route, etc.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
I would get the x4200 in a heartbeat since it has Audyssey XT32 and Sub EQ HT for dual subs.

Plus it has preouts to connect an external amp if you need more power. It can also be expanded to 9 channels whereas the s950 is limited to 7. That means you can have 4 Atmos speakers instead of 2 for a 5.1.4 setup.

The s950 only has the basic Audyssey MultEQ which is two levels below the x4200.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts