AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently in the market for a DVD Recorder (with possiblity a HD).

I currently own a SAT-60 w/Ultimate TV and a SOny TRV-38. Im looking for a way to:

A.) Copy shows from My SAT-60 Ultimate TV to DVD's to watch on the road.

B.) Make copies from my TRV-38 into a firewire input on a DVD to make DVD's to send to family and friends.

Would a unit with a HD be benificial, is the new Sony DVD recorder the buy or the Panasonic e-80 (Does it have a firewire input?)

Any/all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

UTV

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Panasonic E100. Your requirement for firewire takes it above the E80.

and yes, you want a Harddrive... search around and you'll find tons of reasons why.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Also a UTV guy here - and I LOVE my E80 - it is a snap recording onto this unit - either copying already recorded stuff from UTV or setting up to have the E80 record directly from the UTV (saving a transfer step - you have to leave/set up the UTV to tune to the particular channel you want to record and then set the E80 to record from L1-2 or 3 at a specified time). I have transferred several things already that I had "eventually" thought I would transfer to tape but never did (the VCR has since been disconnected as a recording device since the E80 purchase). I LOVE this thing!

No to firewire on the E80, maybe you would be more interested in the new E100 - here is a brief description I took from a vendors site:

The DMR-E100HS expands on the terrific performance and features of Panasonic's DMR-E80H DVD/hard disk recorder by increasing the hard disk recording capacity by 50%, and adding some great capabilities for personal video. It includes two front-panel slots, one for PC Card and one for SD Card, that let you view digital photos in JPEG or TIFF format on a TV screen, or easily store them to DVD-RAM discs without having to connect a PC. It also adds a DV input (i.LINK), which makes it easy to record directly from a digital camcorder onto a disc.

In any event, did I tell you just how much I LOVE my E80 - ha!

·
Registered
580 Posts
Personally, I would wait for the Pioneer 510h which comes out on Nov 03. It has firewire in and an 80gb hard drive. It will sellf for around $600, which is $250 less than the E100 and it will also offer picture menu thumbnails like the E100. I've been waiting for this model for over a year now and it's finally coming out. According to my research, Pionner has traditionally had a "better" picture than panasnics possbilty due to the fact that panasnonc makes their own encoding chip whereas Pioneer buys there from some famous company (forget the name). Also, Pionner is dvd-r & dvd-rw whereas the panasonic is dvd-r & dvd ram. Avoid the Sony!

*Changed it, meant to say panny does dvd-r & dvd ram

·
Registered
600 Posts
....did you mean to write ...Panny records DVD-RAM....does not do DVD-RW.

My reason to wait for the Pioneer 510. $600 US sounds pretty close.

Perhaps the xmas buy/competition might throw us a bone.

·
Banned
1,458 Posts
Former UTV guy here..(now have Directivo dual tuner like the UTV was) :)

I for one went with the Philips DVDR 75 (+R). Can be bought for under $400 and it offers COMPONENT IN and OUT, DUAL S-VIDEO IN and OUT, FIREWIRE INPUT, and great picture quality IMHO.

COMPONENT IN and FIREWIRE not offered on Panny's.

I've recorded Laser Disc to it and it looks great and also all my 8mm videos to it in 4 hour mode and it still looks darn good.

I have a dual format PC DVD burner, so I have the pleasure of being able to play the +R AND -R DVD movies I back up (Panny models rarely like to play +R's so it wasn't a good deal for me.)

Since you have dual tuners on the UTV and a great way to save programs to it's HD, there's NO need to spend extra cash on a HD recorder IMO.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Quote:
COMPONENT IN and FIREWIRE not offered on Panny's.
Since the component in on the Philips is interlaced it does not provide a noticeably better input signal vs. the s-video on the Panny's, even the composite in provides good input quality because the on-board Panasonic Y/C filtering and TBC really clean up VHS sources (translation: component in is overhyped). Houston Guy has done some exhaustive head-to-head comparisons that bear this out (he owns both the E80 and the 985). The second part of your statement is incorrect, the Panasonic HS2, E60, and E100 all provide firewire input.

Vic

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info guys.

The other question is, does the Panasonic E100 have a nice playback picture?

I would be using this unit to playback movie title as well. Or should I purchase a seperate unit just to view movies?

Thanks again.

UTV Guy

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Playback picture is "nice'" but not great. It's essentially the same PQ as all current Panny progressive decks and other popular priced players. It does not have the super-good PQ of the late, lamented RP-82, XP-50 and soon-to-be-gone Denon decks with Faroudja chips.

·
Banned
1,458 Posts
The Philips DVDR80 offers the Faroudja chip..here's the info from their site:

Product Highlights

On-screen TV Guide
Faroudja DCDi Progressive Scan video output

10-bit video processing

i.LINK digital connection

Component Video Input

8 hours video recording

Disc Manager for instant overview of all your discs

GUIDE Plus+® on-screen TV program guide

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Gordon Shumway
Since you have dual tuners on the UTV and a great way to save programs to it's HD, there's NO need to spend extra cash on a HD recorder IMO.
Unless of course you have NO interest of REMOVING commecials or whatever COMPLETELY from the disc and not just 'masking' them from view (and wasting space)..

since you ONLY have S-Video out on the UTV, the froofroo of having component input is pretty well meaningless...

as v. pointed out, you will be hardpressed to tell the difference between the DV in and S-Video in on the E80

and.. if you have ANY analog tapes at all, the y/c seperation and TBC on the E80/E100 will do miracles for your old tapes.

and ... I just picked up my second E80 this week for $509 SHIPPED at www.ibuyplasma.com .. and that was 3-day shipping.

one you've worked with a unit with an HD.. you'll wonder why anyone in their right mind would NOT recommend it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.