AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just purchase VE and I used it on my Sony 48 projection TV and it did make a big difference. I also purchased it because I am going to use it on my Toshiba 65H80 when it is delivered but what I dont understand is, is this what they mean by doin a convergence? or is there something else I have to do. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

------------------

Juan Ruiz

[This message has been edited by Juan (edited 07-18-2001).]

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Rear Projection TV's have three guns (Red, Green & Blue) that all reflect off of a mirror onto your screen. If each of these guns are not aimed in exactly the same direction, the TV will have a poor picture.

Convergence is the process in which you fine tune the aim of these three guns so that they all point in the same direction.

[This message has been edited by Bill Broderick (edited 07-19-2001).]

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks for the respond. Now I have another question. How do I know if all the guns are pointed correctly? and if they are not, how do I fix this?

Juan Ruiz

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
You use the VE disk's convergence test pattern. I don't have one, but I imagine it's a series of white "+" signs at strategic locations in the middle and corners of the screen. If the convergence is correct, you'll see nice white "+" signs. If it's off a bit you may see a coloured fringe at the edges of the "+" signs. If it's off a lot, you'll see two or more "+" signs of different colours close together.

There's a certain order that you should make adjustments - for example you probably need to adjust the focus first before worrying about convergence.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
The Toshiba's have a 9 point convergence option on the main menu (at least my TW56X81 does). There is also a Service mode that allows a convergence of more postitions on the screen.

Basically the 9 point convergence is a series of large + signs on the corners, sides and center of the screen. You pick one of the positions, and which color you want to adjust (blue or red, they don't let you touch the green, you move the other two to match the green). You then adjust the aim (right, left, up or down) using your remote.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Will I be able to get to the service mode if the convergence is of on my Toshiba? I really appreciate all the feed back I am getting, thanks guys.

------------------

Juan Ruiz

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Joe, that link has all the info I need.

------------------

Juan Ruiz

·
Registered
372 Posts
Go here: http://www.bus.ucf.edu/cwhite/theater/ToshibaTips.htm

------------------

Owning a DVD player and a computer does not make you a film scholar.

Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand.

[This message has been edited by Joe 6 Pack (edited 07-19-2001).]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.