AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whatever happened to TVs being sold with Picture-In-Picture (PIP), Picture-and-Picture (PAP) and Picture-on-Picture (POP)?

The last time I was shopping for a tv, pretty much every tv could do at least one of these. However, now that I'm shopping for a lower priced (

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I think that dual ATSC digital tuners would be more expensive than dual NTSC...but more importantly, I think marketing departments are finding that PIP is only important to a small percentage of buyers and reducing the cost by the amount saved with one tuner is more effective for sales. As for myself, I've had two tv's in the past with PIP and rarely used the feature...and many people I know personally are the same way.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama127 /forum/post/14293126

I think that dual ATSC digital tuners would be more expensive than dual NTSC... reducing the cost by the amount saved with one tuner is more effective for sales.

Oh, I get that. I'm not asking for a tv with two analog or two digital tuners, much less both. I'm not after watching two *live* programs (although if you PIP'd the analog and digital tuners you'd have two live programs). What I'm after is the ability to watch one live program while my kids watch a dvd, dvr, etc., or play a game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama127 /forum/post/14293126

...more importantly, I think marketing departments are finding that PIP is only important to a small percentage of buyers....

That's what I fear.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I think they realized that a large majority of consumers thought PIP was a cool must-have feature but never actually used it. It is very rare that I come across a client that actually uses it.

My Dish DVR has PIP but I never use it.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
I imagine its use dwindled because of PVR/DVR's. Just watch that second show another time.

There is one time, and one time only per year I wish I had PiP - January 1st. It would be nice to watch two different feeds of the Rose Parade. Since the broadcast lasts for 3 hours or so, it's not something I would want to watch again, so recording it is pointless.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The only line of TVs I can find which has broad PIP/PAP/POP support are the Vizios. However, even with them, you can't use two HDMI-based inputs at the same time. I understand why you can't watch two analog channels at the same time (only one analog tuner) and why you can't watch two digital channels at the same time (only one digital tuner), but why can't you watch two HDMI inputs at a time? Is there something like a "HDMI tuner" which can only process one HDMI input at a time?

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I bought a PIPed TV 12 years ago. I used the feature a few times in the first month and never since then. It was a feature that sounded better than it was. Get the kids a small TV for their uses.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
My last crt (Toshiba 32") had PIP and I rarely used it. I thought it would be fantastic for watching one football game and having another in a small window...what I discovered is that my brain didn't truly let me keep track of two games at once....and the dedicated button on the remote to switch between 2 channels actually worked better.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Does your DVR do PIP? Mine (SA8300HD) does...if your DVR does PIP your problem may be solved.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I have a nearly 5 year old GWIII. The only days I never use the PiP function are those times when I'm not home. My now-dead 27" XBR served me that way for years as well.

YMMV

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
I use PAP on my 40XBR almost daily. This is a feature I use for News, and switch back & forth when one breaks for commercial or I see a story I'm following, etc. Great for the busy football season too, when on Sat. & Sun games are being played ar the same time. For me, I never record News or Sports.

Sony had the best PAP feature I've ever seen on a TV, and when you split the screen it's easy to toggle back and forth, or make either side as big as you want or equal in size. Once you start using it, you'll miss it on other TV's.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a Polaroid 1080i LCD . The main reason why I bought it at the time was for it's PIP/PAP feature. The PIP feature allows me to watch TV while I am working on my computer. I use this feature everyday. I am getting Satellite HDTV installed literally as I write this. I want to upgrade to a 1080p/120hz LCD but was disappointed to find that Samsung and Sony did not build their PIP/PAP to accommodate both PC and HDMI signals. Their PIP source only allows for an analog TV signal. This doesn't even make sense because analog is going away in 6 months!! Polariod stop making LCDs so I guess I'll be stuck upgrading to a Vizio or Olevia, which were NOT my preferred choices.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I've personally owned some CRT and LCDs that use PIP, and I remember that Westinghouse LTV-32w1 was the first set I owned that had these features, and the thing that worried me was that the Westy's "Split Screen" was letterboxed, as opposed to filling the whole screen. I believe this was where Olevia would've been better. However, I believe that these features are only best with the third-tier brands. Your top brands do have some PIP/PAP functionality, like your Samsungs and Sonies, but they are pretty limited as far as how you can use those features.

·
Registered
89 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajieboy /forum/post/14364746

I use PAP on my 40XBR almost daily. This is a feature I use for News, and switch back & forth when one breaks for commercial or I see a story I'm following, etc. Great for the busy football season too, when on Sat. & Sun games are being played ar the same time. For me, I never record News or Sports.

Sony had the best PAP feature I've ever seen on a TV, and when you split the screen it's easy to toggle back and forth, or make either side as big as you want or equal in size. Once you start using it, you'll miss it on other TV's.

I have a Sony 34" CRT with this feature and used it everyday when it was my main tv. Are there any Sony lcds with this feature?

·
Registered
4,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchless21 /forum/post/14867093

I have a Sony 34" CRT with this feature and used it everyday when it was my main tv. Are there any Sony lcds with this feature?

I don't know about the new Sony LCD's, but as this feature is older vid tech, you should expect any top tier display to have it.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi Ho /forum/post/14315430

I think they realized that a large majority of consumers thought PIP was a cool must-have feature but never actually used it. It is very rare that I come across a client that actually uses it.

My Dish DVR has PIP but I never use it.

Count me as one more.

I thought it was cool as well when I got my last CRT. It had the PIP and I did use it for a while, but the hassle of turning on a second tuner to feed the PIP and the issue of hitting the wrong button on the remote to switch back and forth took it's toll. Plus at some point I would just miss what was on the little PIP screen because all my attention was on the larger screen, I guess I am not much of a multi-tasker.

After about 2 months I quit using it altogether and never used it again. When I bought the new LCD I didn't even think about it.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Most people watching a lot of HDTV have external receivers, making PIP on the TV itself impractical and often impossible. And many of these receivers have it built in anyway.

I also thought it would be cool to have PIP with my VIP622, but after intially playing around with it a bit I have not actually used it. It's just too distracting. I can see why it's no longer offered.

If TVs start coming with the proper tuners, decoders, and DVRs necessary to eliminate the need for external source receivers, maybe they'll make a comeback.

·
Registered
622 Posts
My Dish DVR has it and so does my Samsung DLP, so I could theoretically watch three things at the same time, which I did exactly once - during the President's Day blizzard a few years ago. I could tune in three local news stations and swap around to whichever one was talking about my neighborhood.

I use PAP rarely, when there is a football game and NASCAR race on at the same time, and I happen to be around to watch live, but I usually DVR them both and watch them in compressed time. It is just too hard to hit the 30 second skip after every play and still be able to pay attention to what's going on in another window.

The fact is, why have a big screen TV if you're going to watch programs in a tiny window at less than full screen? Get the kids a 27" CRT off craigslist. People are pretty much giving them away these days.

-Chris

·
Registered
4,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNG /forum/post/14869197

Count me as one more.

I thought it was cool as well when I got my last CRT. It had the PIP and I did use it for a while, but the hassle of turning on a second tuner to feed the PIP and the issue of hitting the wrong button on the remote to switch back and forth took it's toll. Plus at some point I would just miss what was on the little PIP screen because all my attention was on the larger screen, I guess I am not much of a multi-tasker.

After about 2 months I quit using it altogether and never used it again. When I bought the new LCD I didn't even think about it.

That's why the Sony version was the best ever. Easy to use and a remote that optimized the feature. Split screen, P&P, is a great feature for us sports fans & news junkies that want that live view. For me, I never DVR a football game, even though I have a dual tuner HD DVR. If you don't want the feature, then fine, no problem because now you are not even able to enjoy that choice on most displays.

·
Registered
282 Posts
At my last apartment, it came with a soyo tv that had pip, pop, pbp, and split screen. It worked awesome whenever I wanted to play ps3 during commercials of a show, or while I was simulating endless seasons of ncaa football! I upgraded to a th-42pz77u and certainly do miss that luxury now.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts