AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for my first pj.Is the panny better or the h20?I have read a lot of reviews and they both have problems I know.But what is the better first pj.lots of ambient light. Not much tv viewing.Mostly dvd movies some hd content like football etc.Any thoughts long throw lens needed.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I haven't seen them side by side, specs are VERY similar, it's very arrogant to asume that the sony is better just cause it costs more.. i would expect the sony to look slightly better on 1080i material because of the extra pixels it has.. however, 720p material would actually be upscalled, wich would soften the image a bit...

so if anyone that has seen/compared them side by side that's the only way you can get a more accurate comparasion.

·
Registered
15 Posts
it's very arrogant to assume that I haven't seen both of them, I simply stated if money is not the deciding factor I believe the Sony puts out a better picture. If money is an issue, the 500 puts out a nice picture also,but to ME just not as good as the hs20. So as I stated earlier, is the better picture quality of the hs20 as small as it may be, worth the extra money over the Panasonic? This is up too you, in which case you will have to demo these projectors somehow.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by slbg
moneywise the panisonic, picturewise the sony. Its as simple as that.
UNLESS you are in Canada where MSRP is identical !!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
sharp 9k. i don't even know why this is practically off anyone's list!

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
The Sony will have a longer throw, and it has some nice features like power zoom and multiple digital inputs.

Unless these things matter to you, then there probably isn't a huge difference, especially as it is your first PJ.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I did not mean to tick anyone off.Or start a fight. I know there are some people who have seen both side by side(I have not) and I just wanted an opinion.Or any one that has seen the both of them.I have only seen the panny 300 and the h10.But your response has given me food for thought thanks.

·
Registered
455 Posts
seems folks overlooked the "long throw lens required" comment from the OP...if you are talking about adding a long throw lens to the panny 500 then some of the cost diffferential is being narrowed (how much I don't know). If you want long throw seems the obvious answer would be to go with the HS20

·
Registered
6,025 Posts
I have seen both side by side.

The HS-20 has a better image and it wasn't just my opinion.

Aside from the image, it has a substantially longer throw than the AE500.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.