AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm using a Denon S510BT right now and I'm curious what you guys think is a better upgrade. Spending the $600 for the cost of a receiver with Audyssey or upgrading speakers from the $1000 range to $2000 range and just keeping my old Denon? This is only for music.

·
26,161 Posts
I'm using a Denon S510BT right now and I'm curious what you guys think is a better upgrade. Spending the $600 for the cost of a receiver with Audyssey or upgrading speakers from the $1000 range to $2000 range and just keeping my old Denon? This is only for music.
Shawn at Quest Acoustics did the design for our eventual HT in our basement. Through our discussions he said, relative to budget invest in speakers and a screen. The technologies behind each of those component change less over time. He mentioned that receivers and projector technology changes so much, he advise to focus less money in those areas (esp since I wouldn't be updating for awhile after my initial purchases). In both my receiver and projector, I bought previous models vs the current ones to save money. Even though I have the speakers in front of the screen (I'll build a false wall down the road), I bought an acoustically transparent screen now.

So, my long winded point is I agree with JD. ;)

Invest in speakers.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Shawn at Quest Acoustics did the design for our eventual HT in our basement. Through our discussions he said, relative to budget invest in speakers and a screen. The technologies behind each of those component change less over time. He mentioned that receivers and projector technology changes so much, he advise to focus less money in those areas (esp since I wouldn't be updating for awhile after my initial purchases). In both my receiver and projector, I bought previous models vs the current ones to save money. Even though I have the speakers in front of the screen (I'll build a false wall down the road), I bought an acoustically transparent screen now.

So, my long winded point is I agree with JD. /forum/images/smilies/wink.gif

Invest in speakers.
This is correct.

First, treat your room properly.

Then, don't skimp on your screen, speakers, or separate amplifiers. Those will be in place for 10-25 years. So will your line conditioners and cables.

Projectors, preamps, disc players, streaming devices, videogames......those will last you 2-10 years, depending on how itchy your trigger finger is.

Where you can, "buy once, cry once", as they say.

Reactions: rboster

·
Registered
197 Posts
Look into Chane.

They are very neutral and a couple reviews stated they need next to no correction, to the extent they had to double check that EQ processing was still off.

The new 700 series is coming out soon.
Of coarse no way to predict the future, but Chane is claiming they are just more of the same goodness the A series provided.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
81 Posts
I tend to agree with the previous comments but with one caveat: it depends on how ****ed up is your room. If it's really problematic, then getting a better speaker could very well end up with the same level of dissatisfaction, while getting a nice room eq could remove most of that dissatisfaction.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I tend to agree with the previous comments but with one caveat: it depends on how ****ed up is your room. If it's really problematic, then getting a better speaker could very well end up with the same level of dissatisfaction, while getting a nice room eq could remove most of that dissatisfaction.
I'll second this idea, your money might be best spent on treating your room depending on how bad it is. I've treated my room and bought a Denon with top of the line Audyssey and both made a noticeable difference. This allowed me to get the most out of my current speaker sub investment.

If you look at Monoprice they have high value treatments available.

·
Registered
408 Posts
QUOTE=ifixtheinternet;59892480]Look into Chane.

They are very neutral and a couple reviews stated they need next to no correction, to the extent they had to double check that EQ processing was still off.
[/QUOTE]

Room modes, and reflections are a function of the room itself and speaker placement and MLP within the room. Room correction addresses this and is a “good thing” - regardless of how good or poor the speakers are.

Additionally some speakers have anomalies in their FR - driver integration issues etc. some of these issues can potentially be corrected by EQ. I suspect your point was, these speakers have few to none of these anomalies requiring correction.

However, without specialized equipment, or measuring the speakers outdoors, the “room” is always going to be present and you hear the combination of speaker response + room response. No way to separate them. So I don’t know how users would be able to say, the speakers “do not require correction” - especially if no measurement was involved.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Get the best gear/speakers you can. Room correction is a tool and icing on the cake, but can't make up for bad speakers or bad room acoustics.

Reactions: rboster

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
What speakers does the OP have? That may help make the answer even easier? If he already has really good speakers then maybe an AVR with better room correction and features is what he needs next.

In general I would say speakers though.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What speakers does the OP have? That may help make the answer even easier? If he already has really good speakers then maybe an AVR with better room correction and features is what he needs next.

In general I would say speakers though.
Right now I have Revel M16's but I could upgrade to M106's or Ascend Sierra 2-EX's.

·
Registered
138 Posts
If a movie watcher, AVR first 7.1 min, Center Speaker 2nd, L/R fronts, and descent subwoofer. Then descent Surrounds. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I would like just a little bit more clarity. It just sounds very slightly muddled on some songs.
In that case get your room treated, fix the first reflection points and so on.

It is money extremely well spent.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Just can't beat a good set of speakers.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Right now I have Revel M16's but I could upgrade to M106's or Ascend Sierra 2-EX's.
I'm know of both product lines but never heard the speakers myself. The M106's get great reviews but so do the M16's as well. They both have 6.5" aluminum woofers and 1" dome tweeters and are high end speakers. I guess the cabinet on the M106 is better. Is the sound signature that much better on the Performa M106 for double the cost?

Found this...

How does the M16 compare with the M106, its upscale Performa3 sibling ($2000/pr.)? Quite well, actually. If you auditioned them side-by-side the sonic family resemblance would be obvious. Both exhibit the enveloping soundstage and foundational weight, the verve and energy of a midrange in sparkling balance.

However, there are distinctions. For example, during cellist Pieter Wispelwey’s rendition of Bruch’s Kol Nidrei, low-level edge detail softened slightly, with the proximity of instruments to one another less focused; in addition, the cello’s attack off the bow lacked the last dollop of dynamic intensity. In sum, at two grand the Performa3 M106 does what it was meant to do, but at less than half the price the Concerta2 M16 can hold its head high in this more elite crowd.

Perhaps the M16 performance’s most enthralling aspect is the fullness and cohesiveness of its soundstage and image presentation. The M16 doesn’t paint small sonic landscapes. Revel’s state-of-the-art multichannel systems make this manufacturer no stranger to creating immersive sonics, and clearly much of that expertise has rubbed off on its two-channel efforts. Indeed, the sense of three-dimensionality and “widescreen” scale were two of the M16’s most distinctive characteristics.
I don't know if my ears are trained enough to notice the difference, but I'm sure yours are.

As someone mentioned above, what source are you using for your music? When you said "some songs" that could be the recording is not as good as on other songs. How are you getting your music? What kind of music do you listen to?

Also noticing you have a very basic AVR for such nice speakers. I'm wondering if a better AVR with higher end room EQ would make a difference? Or maybe even a dedicated 2 channel stereo receiver or integrated amp since this is only for music.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts