AVS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a small 15X15 Gameroom that I want to turn into a theatre room. The seating is all centered (All Reclinable) and (the human eye) is about 12-14 ft away from the screen. I actually haven't looked into a screen yet but someone from these forums recomended a 100-110" screen.

But first im looking to get a 1080P projector that's not to expenensive but can display a great image and can display the best 1080p picture possible. Maybe somewhere under $2500.00 is what im looking to spend..

What do you guys recommend?

Im kinda knew to all this so any info is very helpful.

Thanks

·
Registered
280 Posts
Start with the under $3K forum here . You can also check out the over $3K, since the $3K limit is set based on MSRP, and you can find items in that forum in your price range.

Tom

·
Registered
1,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshadow1234 /forum/post/14198737

I have a small 15X15 Gameroom that I want to turn into a theatre room. The seating is all centered (All Reclinable) and (the human eye) is about 12-14 ft away from the screen. I actually haven't looked into a screen yet but someone from these forums recomended a 100-110" screen.

But first im looking to get a 1080P projector that's not to expenensive but can display a great image and can display the best 1080p picture possible. Maybe somewhere under $2500.00 is what im looking to spend..

What do you guys recommend?

Im kinda knew to all this so any info is very helpful.

Thanks

With your limited throw distance and desire for a large screen, you need a projector with a wide zoom range. Few, if any, DLPs will fit the bill. Some DLPs will not fill even a 110" diagonal screen from the 13 to 13 1/2 feet your throw distance is limited to after you allow clearance for ventilation and cables. Look within LCOS and LCD. There aren't many LCOS projectors available at that price range and the few that are will be too dim for a large screen.

The Epson 1080 UB gives a great image and can be had for under $3000. With the zoom at maximum, the Epson will fill up a 133" diagonal screen from as little as 13 feet. It's also one of the few projectors that have the lumens to work well with a large screen. The calculator below lets you figure this kind of stuff out for most popular projectors.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epso...ulator-pro.htm

If you want to be impressed by a large image, get at least a 120" diagonal screen.

If you're interested in mainly HD TV and decide to go with a medium sized screen like a 100" to 110', consider a 720P projector. If you paired a 720p with a large screen, however, the appearance of the pixels would be more objectionable.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Be careful with that calculator...it isn't all the reliable.

Some units to consider: Sony VW40, Epson Home Cinema 1080UB, Panasonic PTAE2000. All are excellent, so you should check the projector forums to know for sure.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrd /forum/post/14199301

The Epson 1080 UB gives a great image and can be had for under $3000. With the zoom at maximum, the Epson will fill up a 133" diagonal screen from as little as 13 feet. It's also one of the few projectors that have the lumens to work well with a large screen. The calculator below lets you figure this kind of stuff out for most popular projectors.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epso...ulator-pro.htm

If you want to be impressed by a large image, get at least a 120" diagonal screen.

Yeah I was looking at the Epson and it's a great projector. I am a little concerned though about the image quality that will be projected on a 120" screen if i go with the epson. If the projector zooms in to fit the screen, wouldn't it result in loosing picture quality? I would say that most of the stuff that I will be watching will consist of 1080P movies on BLURAy and PS3 gaming, Xbox 360.

Also does it matter how far i mount the projector from the screen? You said 13ft is reasonable but what if i go a couple of feet in or out? Is there a chart that out there that can tell you where projectors must be mounted from the actual screen?

Thanks for your help.

Greg

·
Registered
12,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshadow1234 /forum/post/14204406

Yeah I was looking at the Epson and it's a great projector. I am a little concerned though about the image quality that will be projected on a 120" screen if i go with the epson. If the projector zooms in to fit the screen, wouldn't it result in loosing picture quality? I would say that most of the stuff that I will be watching will consist of 1080P movies on BLURAy and PS3 gaming, Xbox 360.

Also does it matter how far i mount the projector from the screen? You said 13ft is reasonable but what if i go a couple of feet in or out? Is there a chart that out there that can tell you where projectors must be mounted from the actual screen?

Thanks for your help.

Greg

The Epson can handle a 120" screen. The limitation of most projectors nowadays is the source. Projectors are really very advanced. However, if you are watching what you indicated (mostly HD) you will be fine.

Pertaining to seating, ideally on a 120" diag. 16:9 screen, you probably want to be around 13-15' back, although you could go closer if it didn't bother you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
i run a Epson 1080 on a 120in screen at 13ft view (15ft mount). Love it. Great pciture, bightness and sharpness. I recommend it for your application.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'm also new to projector's & currently looking at the Sony VPL-VW60 my room is 12x12 would that specific projector work well

·
Registered
1,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshadow1234 /forum/post/14204406

Thanks for your help.

Greg

I said 13' because, in your first thread, you were looking for how large an image you could project, and the further back you move the projector, the larger you can project. I figured 13' was a good maximum placement. You could maybe do almost 13 1/2' and project an even larger image, although that is not necessary to project a 120" or even a 133" image, due to the Epson's generous zoom lens, but you can't go back any further that that. The reason is your room dimensions are 15' by 15', and once you subtract out the Epson's depth of 15.6", you are down to 13' 8.4", and once you subtract out another several inches because everything plugs in through the rear, you're down to about 13 1/2'. The manual may recommend you give even more clearance behind the projector for ventilation, which you might want to follow.

You could certainly go forward. The projectorcentral calculator lets you move the zoom ratio around from unzoomed to maximum zoom to get an idea of what size image you can project from what throw distance at the different zooms the projector is capable of. I think the projectorcentral calculator is good for this, although the lumens ratings at each calculator setting I would not trust. Online manuals usually give advice on throw distance. I forget if I have seen one for the Epson. You can ask in the Epson threads.

Zooming does effect the picture quality, but it's mostly a tradeoff where you gain brightness at the expense of contrast or contrast at the expense of brightness.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiv_R_A_I_D_E_R_ /forum/post/14214708

I'm also new to projector's & currently looking at the Sony VPL-VW60 my room is 12x12 would that specific projector work well

Since you have a limited amount of throw distance, you will be limited in how large an image you can project. How large an image are you thinking of? You could probably do not much more than a 100" diagonal image with the Sony and a few inches more with the Epson. DLPs will be smaller, with few exceptions.

There are add-on lenses that would allow you to project a much larger image than a projector can do on its own, but since you're not going to be sitting more than maybe 11 feet back, you won't want to go too large.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyman6 /forum/post/14218263

InFocus IN83 1080p DLP Front orojector is very nice, if you have that budget you can get one.

In the OP's first thread, he was looking for recommendations on how large he could go in his room. He said 'I want to be able to go the max as far as size of the screen.' He would not be able to do more than a 100' image, and maybe not even that, with an IN83 in a 15' by 15' room.

·
Registered
393 Posts
You mentioned $2500 budget, I think. The best PJ at that price is (IMO) the Panasonic PT-AE2000U. It has great color, contrast, sharpness, and the best features are 1) the most brightness for the money (900+ lumens in normal mode), 2) no pixelation, and 3) no rainbow effect. I would consider this PJ myself if I were in the market right now, though in a year or so, I'll be looking for something with 2000+ lumens for a much larger theater room. (Maybe the Panasonic 12,000 lumen monster?)

David

1 - 15 of 15 Posts