AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Just wondering, I wanted to know what a good BLU-ray or HD DVD movie I should use to test out my TV... to get that "looking out of a window" look. I claerly chose the wrong movie (300).. and from what I've learned, has intentionally added grain.. lol.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Crank on BluRay has a nice, clear, vivid picture. Planet Earth has some scenes that look pretty amazingly real, but some that don't at the same time. Ratatouille looks amazing for an animated movie, those are all BluRay suggestions.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Most amazing picture my set has ever displayed is 'Hot Fuzz' on HD-DVD.

Definitely reference material and a great test. If your jaw doesn't hit the floor because it looks so good then there's something wrong.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
If you want to see how your TV handles difficult dark scenes in HD, try chapter one of The Fountain.

My old plasma struggles pretty bad with that one.

·
Registered
7,233 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhaller /forum/post/12930326

If you want to see how your TV handles difficult dark scenes in HD, try chapter one of The Fountain.

My old plasma struggles pretty bad with that one.

My stomach struggles with the Fountain it is so pathetically bad I cheered when the tree of life just consumed his whiny butt.

A doctor that cannot understand Life and Death? What Horse Poohey and the worst movie of 2007 IMO.

I prefer Van Helsing for testing dark scenes and shadow details and Phantom of the Opera for it's eye popping colors and Sound and Transformers can be amazing except for a script a 7th grader that perhaps wrote - visually and sound wise it's amazing.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Cars, Crank, POTC and Planet Earth are the ones i can quickly think of. Viewing these movies on my XBR4 (soon getting an XBR5
) is freaking mind-blowing...it's like you are there IRL.

Try standing in front of the screen with some of the Spider Man or Superman Returns flying sequences. I get a little dizzy sometimes; awesome!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts