AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My primary use for it is one, movies, two, music, and three, games.

My considerations from a very quick research for an open headphone, actually, are:

Logitech G35

Audio Technica ATH-AD700

Sennheiser HD-280 PRO

Sennheiser PC 350

Sennheiser HD438

Sennheiser HD448

Sennheiser HD555

I welcome additional headsets/headphones that anyone recommends (within the price range).

FYI, the above are under $100 USD from Amazon and Ebay.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
closed back or open back - you need to decide which type of headphone is best for your listening position.

open back headphones actually allow a little ambient noise into the ear, and someone sitting close could hear some of the audio you are listening to. But they are lighter, less fatigueing, and don't cut you off from your surroundings.

closed back headphones seal you off from the environment. In an office environment they work well to eliminate background noise and will not disturb a near-by co-worker. They are heavier, can cause a clammy feeling around the ears, and usually uncomfortable for long wearing periods.

of the group you mentioned, I prefer the open back Sennheiser HD555 set http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD5.../dp/B0001FTVDQ but Amazon is famous for changing sale prices or eliminating them without notice, so don't wait long for whichever sale item you are considering.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_vanmeter /forum/post/19625546

closed back or open back - you need to decide which type of headphone is best for your listening position.

open back headphones actually allow a little ambient noise into the ear, and someone sitting close could hear some of the audio you are listening to. But they are lighter, less fatigueing, and don't cut you off from your surroundings.

closed back headphones seal you off from the environment. In an office environment they work well to eliminate background noise and will not disturb a near-by co-worker. They are heavier, can cause a clammy feeling around the ears, and usually uncomfortable for long wearing periods.

of the group you mentioned, I prefer the open back Sennheiser HD555 set http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD5.../dp/B0001FTVDQ but Amazon is famous for changing sale prices or eliminating them without notice, so don't wait long for whichever sale item you are considering.

Thanks for the tip. I want open then because it best fits my situation.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry I didn't mention this earlier.

My first and primary use for the headphone/headset, will be movies. I want good noticeable bass that goes along with action movies. Compared to music and games, cinema watching is a frequent activity of mine. Second comes music, which I would consider a normal/usual past time. I do actually listen to classical music so I don't want an overly boomy bass but I mostly listen to music that is 'exciting' or 'energetic' like good bass and treble (rap, hip hop, pop, rock, alternative, dance, house/trance, metal) but not something like drum and bass or music that requires super loud bass. Less often though, if not rarely, are games. FPS almost exclusively. But when do I play them I like to enjoy them for days, if not, weeks at a time. I like them with accurate positioning and discrete sounds.

The headphone/headset will be exclusively used in my own room, from my desktop PC using a SB Audigy 2 soundcard.

Also, I want to be comfortable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts