AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need an rgb swithc for my Directv and Dish HD recievers i am going to get. Can some one recomend one at a reasonable price? If it does it automatically it woudl be really great!

Also can you tell me where I can buy it at online?

Thanks!

·
Registered
460 Posts
This must be "VGA/RGB" switch night. Ironically, I just posted the below information in response to a similar question from Man E ... Original post follows.

------------------------------------------------------------

I recently installed a Kramer Tools VP 211 to switch between VGA outputs from my DTC100 and Dish 6000 receivers. I rejected any manual switcher and wanted to find one that automatically selected the active video output. The VP 211 met my criteria exactly and at what I thought was a reasonable price for an auto switch.

The specs are at http://www.kramerelectronics.com/group2/vp211.html

You can turn off either input 1 or input 2 merely by placing the DTC100 or the 6000 in "SD" mode. The VP 211 senses the active input and pipes it thru to your TV receiver. If both inputs are active, it will default to input 1.

I sourced the VP 211 thru Kramer Tools USA which can be found at the above website by following the proper links. I paid around $140.00 for the unit including sales tax and shipping in California. I have had it in operation for a week now, and it works perfectly.

One word of caution - if you wish to also switch digital audio using the "audio follows video" feature of this box, be advised you cannot do so. The VP 211 only processes analog audio.

I went to http://www.tradertrax.com to get optical cables and am working with the owner Mike on getting an optical switcher.

Standard VGA 15 pin cables are available at any computer supply house for around $1.00 per foot.

Good luck,

Dave

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Savageone79:
The problem is i need an RGB switcher not a vga one!
VGA is RGB with a 15 pin connector. Maybe you mean a component YPrPb switcher. If you supply the model of TV and DirecTV receiver we could help better.

Jay

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have the dish 6000 reciever and havnt bought the directv one. I am just curouis how is the best way to get them both imputed into my mits component inputs. I know the dtc100 only has vga out. IS there a switch that will take vga input and output component and and switch between the dish and the Directv reciever? This is all very confusing!!

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
I use a Kramer VS-2503. Its a 3 in, 1 out model. Its has very high bandwidth, so its not a problem with quality (like 400MHz if I remember correctly.) Its software controllable as well.

Once you move beyond X in, 1 out, it starts getting expensive since its a matrix and not a switch. But if you only need the one out to the projector, its fine.

------------------

Dean Roddey

The Charmed Quark Controller
[email protected]armedquark.com
www.charmedquark.com

If it don't have a control port, don't buy it!

·
Registered
460 Posts
whoops ..

Yeah, it is sort of confusing, but all is not lost.

My initial reply asssumed RGB = VGA because that is the output provided by the DTC100. In fact, Circuit City sells and RGB/VGA to component conversion box which works with the DTC100 for folks that do not have VGA inputs on their TV.

I connected my DTC100 to a Pioneer Elite 610 HD VGA to VGA so I didn't require the conversion box. As you point out, the Dish 6000 has both VGA and component outputs.

There are very likely to be component switchers which do the same thing as the VGA switcher I utilized, but I am not the right guy to advise you on that option.

Good luck.

Dave

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Savageone79,

It can be a little confusing at times. One thing to remember is that the connector type does not necessarily define the type of signal. Which model of Mitsubishi TV do you have? Most recent models of Mits. TVs (including my 55857) have a single DTV input that is selectable between RGB and component. It has 5 RCA jacks. Only 3 are used when configured as component. Depending on the model of Mits. you have and which DirecTV receivers you are considering I can give you a recommendation on how to do the switching. I also use the Kramer switcher with good results. If you do choose a DirecTV receiver that has only component output then your only good choice is a component switcher (or an AV receiver with high bandwidth component switching). Good luck.

Jay

[This message has been edited by jerndl (edited 09-06-2001).]

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does anyone make a switch that takes 2 vga in and outputs component? This woudl be the simplest way since i coudl do vga out of the Directv and Dish Recievers and then component into my TV.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jerndl:
Savageone79,

Which model of Mitsubishi TV do you have? Most recent models of Mits. TVs (including my 55857) have a single DTV input that is selectable between RGB and component. It has 5 RCA jacks. Only 3 are used when configured as component.
Jay,

Sorry to go off topic but which gives better PQ with the Mits. Component or RGBHV? I have a DISH 6000 and a HIPIX which can output either.

My Mits is 2 weeks old.

I can (and have one) use a simple A/B VGA switch but I am not sure if there is signal degradation with VGA.

I was told that unless you use high quality ie. expensive VGA cables, you were better off using Component which I can also use a manual switcher for.

Any comments?

Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
128 Posts
The best picture possible is the original format which is Red, Green, Blue (RGB). All other connections (component,S,composite) are forms of crunching RGB and is sync information into a smaller package. The question then becomes will your display have enough resolution where you can tell the difference....

---Andy Garabedian

[This message has been edited by andyg (edited 09-07-2001).]

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm forced to build my own since no one has a single box that switches RGB or Y/Cb/Cr and digital audio, and has remote control.

I'm thinking of using the Maxim MAX498 chip for the switching and a small PIC microcontroller and a $5 IR block from RadioShack

Should I design one for everyone here?

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Would it be possible to buy a vga switch and then tack on the RCA transponder on the output to convert it to component. this would let me switch with vga and output Compononent. Woudl this affect the picture quality much? I am just looking for the cheapest and easiest way to switch between the directv and dish system to my mits. If it could handle audio too that would be really great.

·
Registered
957 Posts
If you have a Dish 6000 receiver it outputs both RGB and component. If you have a DTC-100 for Direct you need to Buy a RCA Transcoder on Ebay for around $50. Then use a manual AV-Switch for under $50 to switch the component signal. I have since purchased a Extron SW4 - AR to replace the manual switch. Yes you have to get up to switch inputs but if you work at it you can get a Extron 2 input component switch and RCA Transcoder for under $100 (check completed auctions on EBAY).

Good Luck

Rick

------------------

RJW

·
Registered
34 Posts
HTbuff:
Quote:

I'm thinking of using the Maxim MAX498 chip for the switching and a small PIC microcontroller and a $5 IR block from RadioShack

Should I design one for everyone here?
Sounds good to me.

Jeff

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.