Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All:

Again I ask for advice on my TV purchase. My viewing area is 8-9 feet away. What size works for that distance? Is 46" too big? I am leaning toward that new Sony KP46WT500.

Thx!

B

·
Registered
365 Posts
The rule of thumb is to sit 1.5 to 2x the screen size back, so if 8-9 feet (96-108 inches) back is the viewing distance, a 46 in screen would be just fine.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My viewing distance is 8-9 feet as well and I have a 51" and all is well. I was concerned I went too big when I was first hooking up the set, but after starting the first dvd, I was glad I didn't go any smaller.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by briley1
All:

Again I ask for advice on my TV purchase. My viewing area is 8-9 feet away. What size works for that distance? Is 46" too big? I am leaning toward that new Sony KP46WT500.

Thx!

B
I think this is a hard decision to make and unfortunately difficult to tell until you have the set in front of you.

I've just gone up from a 27" 4:3 to a 43" 16:9 (36" 4:3) and I really contemplated getting a 50". Now I've got it, I'm glad I didnt go bigger - it would really dominate the room rather than being "part of it". I sit around 9' away.

You can always do the "cardboard" cutout approach - just create a box which represents the dimensions of the TV's you're thinking about and try it in your room! In retrospect it was a pretty good way of testing.

Jonathan

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have two chairs at 8ft and a couch at 14ft. After a few days Im now sitting in the chairs!!! They DO tend to shrink into the room.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.