AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend a good scaler available on the used market in the "Under $1,000" range? I own A DVDO i-scan (not the pro), and I'm considering upgrading.

Thanks for any advise or personal insight you can share.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Laser disc into a video capture card? Dscaler? I tried this once before with an I/O Magic capture card. The video seemed soft. The i-scan was an improvement. I expect a better scaler to do even better for me. I'm projecting onto a 66" tall screen, if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
i bet you can get a nec quad for under 1,000$$$

and its good to know

iam not the last who loves

laser disc

XANATOS

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Even at 480 solid lines, one would need a pretty small vertical screen (projected) height for it to look good. This is something I'm fearing of right now in a TV room setup. Even in with 4:3/NTSC at 60" screen height the DVDO may not be able to hide from my eyes scan lines. That's an 1/8" tall scan line at 12' feet viewing distance.

Also keep in mind that 240 analog lines as a starting point may not be the best thing in the world when trying to get 480, 720, or 960 lines projected. That's almost asking for the keys to the store.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I'm using a MyHD 100 for "Normal" TV. In my HTPC. Don't have to worry about Dscaler, it's settings, your CPU speed etc. I really like it. No stutters or jerky motion, from basketball. I could never get Dscaler to work well on fast motion video. You can use the passthrough cable to show the stuff on your windows desktop/in a window. Or you can have it output a variety of different resolutions and refresh rates natively.

I love it. I setup the HTPC for optimal DVD playback resolution (1280x720 at 48hz) and then when I click on the MyHD icon, it outputs a seperate resolution/refresh rate (1024x768 at 60hz.) I then use the projectors alighment controls to shrink the image down to fit my 2.35 scope screen. On top of that I can recieve HDTV local broadcasts and just change the resolution the card outputs for HighDef stuff.

Not really sure how it's scaling compares to higher priced items (the MYHD MDP-120 HDTV PCI TUNER is available for around 300, you might be able to find the 100 cheaper.) However if you are only concerned with scaling standard definition TV, I would consider it a good option. If you are looking for a HighDef card then it's a no brainer.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
You can get a brand new ESI VLS-2000 on e-bay. I've seen them go for between $300-$500. I'm running it at 960P on my BG1209 for several months now without a hitch. Looks fantastic. And it won't freeze up almost every time you change the channel like the Quadscan. I know I had one. It's not one of the Little Darlings on this forum or anywhere else though.

If you can wait a little bit I hear DVDO is coming out with a scaler. That should be a good one. Don't know when its coming.

Rod

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Chalk another one up for HTPC.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I installed a MyHD card in my HTPC tonight. WOW! Presently my antenna is in the attic and I'm getting between 67% - 91% signal strength. Can't wait to try the antenna on the roof. I also am anxious to try running the laser disc player through the MyHD card to see how good a job it does scaling the image.

·
Registered
525 Posts
The Lumagen Vision is a great scaler for the money. Check out www.lumagen.com

PM me if you would like more information, I use one of these in my showroom, and on the bench so I work with it all the time...

Thanks,

Nick

·
Registered
583 Posts
I love my Lumagen Vision, and the company has *great* customer service. They helped me fix a problem that I thought was the scaler but turned out to be the cable. Even *after* we determined it wasn't the scaler, they kept working with me to isolate and correct the problem, even though I didn't buy the cable from them.

c

·
Registered
56 Posts
I am using a DEUCE SDQ with my ECP 4101. It can be used as a line doubler, quadrupler or as a scaler. I use it as a scaler at 1024 x 768 and it works great with any source I throw at it for more than two years now.

Octavian

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.