AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 122 Posts

· Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all:

Based on the recent Madrigal announcement regarding the Proceed I've decided to sell or trade in my PMDT and hope to get $3k for it. :(

The question is what to replace it with. I know I want to continue with a single unit that can be a high quality CD and DVD player. Interlaced out is OK as I have a NRS. If progressive the unit must include aspect ratio control. Audio and video must be at least equal to the PMDT.

I have been taking a quick look around and believe that my choices will include:

TAG (front and top loaders)

EAD Theatervision

Camelot II

Krell

Theta

Ayre

Would somebody more "in the know" care to rate the relative benefits of these choices between audio/video and each other? Right now I'm leaning towards the Ayre or TAG.

Thx for your input!

BP

PS - Please; no responses telling me to buy the RP-82, 56, 50 or something similar and save my $. No disprepect intended, just each to their own.

· Registered
25 Posts
I had a look at the TAG toploader and the Meridian 596.

The TAG was good but thought the Merdian sounded better.

Got the Meridian in the end. Love the unit.

May be worth looking at the Lexicon RT-10 or Meridian 598.

Good Luck.

· Registered
1,416 Posts
To be honest, I think that the Ayre (of those you mentioned) is probably the only unit to equal the PDMT. Although I haven't heard the TAG. The PMDT is simply one of the best units I have ever listened to. Video was excellent as well.

I almost bought the PMDT two or three times but whenever I came close my dealer's unit had "issues".

· Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It looks like TAG makes 2 beautiful units but I found only 1 dealer around NYC and he doesn't even have any of them in house! And he's an hour away from me. That doesn't sound like the type of support I want.

When I bought the PMDT my 2nd choice was the Meridian 596. I was thinking of going back to that but not without checking out the Ayre first. Prices of just a digital only Ayre costs the same and duplicates the PMDT functionality (but I really miss analog out).

Linn is coming out with a new high end unidisk player I wanted to check out also. Not sure of the price yet.

How is that new Lexicon; not in the same ballpark pricewise...

Also told by a dealer that a recent reviewe of the Arcam DV-27 compared it very favorably to the Ayre - interesting.

Guess the Ayre is still the front runner.

· Registered
840 Posts
I hear good things too about the upcoming Arcam. The Ayre is based on a Pioneer. The new baby Ayre may be different and should be less. Perhaps C. Hansen could provide some details on it for you. I got rid of my PMDT just before the announcement and picked up a Samsung HD1000 which on my system is better on video and not that far behind on audio. I have a Modwright fully modded XA-777ES so CD was not a big issue. I also have a Micromega Duo Pro DAC laying around that combined with a good transport gives many things out there a run for the money at any price. You may want to consider the route of a good video performer/transport for DVD and use it with a DAC for CDs.

· Premium Member
6,405 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BP
Hi all:

Based on the recent Madrigal announcement regarding the Proceed I've decided to sell or trade in my PMDT and hope to get $3k for it. :(

The question is what to replace it with. I know I want to continue with a single unit that can be a high quality CD and DVD player. Interlaced out is OK as I have a NRS. If progressive the unit must include aspect ratio control. Audio and video must be at least equal to the PMDT.

I have been taking a quick look around and believe that my choices will include:

TAG (front and top loaders)

EAD Theatervision

Camelot II

Krell

Theta

Ayre

Would somebody more "in the know" care to rate the relative benefits of these choices between audio/video and each other? Right now I'm leaning towards the Ayre or TAG.

Thx for your input!

BP

PS - Please; no responses telling me to buy the RP-82, 56, 50 or something similar and save my $. No disprepect intended, just each to their own.
Wish I had an answer because I am in the same boat and will sell my PMDT as well. I really didn't want to have it after the warranty ran out anyways so this announcement quickens the timetable (along with lowering the resale value). I was hoping the baby Ayre would be out but still nothing.....What say you Charles H.....can you give us some info and reason to wait???

· Registered
1,416 Posts
I heard that the new Linn will be in the $8k range, nothing official. An excellent sounding universal is a interesting option.

· Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ShePearl:

Do you have a link to any info on the new Linn?

HighEndWire:

Does that mean Arcam is releasing a new player more advanced than the 28?

To all:

I noted a new Ayre CD player but not a new lower model DVD player so I guess the "baby dx-1" is still to come...

Do any of you get put off a certain player by existance of the chroma bug; the Meridian 596 comes to mind. And Pioneers are famous for it due to their choice of MPEG decoders but that hasn't hurt Ayre's reputation.

Thx!

BP

· Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ShePearl:

Thx for the link to Phil Brandes CES report. It looks very interesting. Unfortunantly I've heard prices more in the 12-13k range so we will all know for sure very soon. I am working on getting the latest official Linn materials and might see them tomorrow.

Since I will be selecting a new pre-pro next year that Kisto will likely be in the running (a good potential match for my Linn speakers).

BP

· Registered
182 Posts
BP -

The Arcam DV27 is the company's top offering - however we are about to introduce a version called DV27A that also supports DVD-Audio, to a very high standard and including bass management, for $2995 IIRC. Its CD performance is arguably the best in class as are the jitter levels on its SPDIF output (which does affect the DD and DTS sound quality downstream to some extent).

You should be able to audition the 27 at several NY dealers (Singer, Innovative, Stereo Exchange come to mind) though you would have to check with our US distributor for the definitive list. In any case there is some useful info at the distributor's website at http://www.aslgroup.com/arcam/arcamdvd.htm

There are of course many choices of top end DVD players - but if you get the opportunity be sure to use the Arcam as some kind of benchmark. Who knows, you might like it enough to spend the money you saved on the matching AV8 processor :)

Hope this helps you in your search.

John Dawson (Arcam)

· Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
John:

Thx so much for your suggestions. I use Professional Audio Consultants in Millburn, NJ even though I live just north of NYC. I have known the owner, Ralph Tarnofsky, for longer than either of us are willing to admit. He suggested I consider the 27 so I might bring one home for a test drive.

I really want my own eyes and ears to make the decsion!

BP

· Registered
840 Posts
All, the Linn Unidisk list is $10,995. I've played a bit with prototypes that did not have video hooked up so I can't comment about the picture. The SACD sounded promising but I did not have anything on hand at the same time to compare it to.

· Registered
172 Posts
Interesting thread. I finally bought an Arcam FMJ DV27 in December, and the thing never worked well - back in the shop x2, froze repeatedly, etc. At the same time, my store had a trade in PMDT - the former owner just couldn't wait for the version 3 software. He bought an Arcam and I bought his PMDT, which has worked flawlessly, but I was hoping for the all digital Proceed connection to my AVP2 that would allow SACD and/or DVD-A. Oh, well, I guess Arcam boy is looking better than I. I do love my picture, and the sound improvement is dramatic.

· Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
SWC:

Sorry to hear about the problems you experienced with the Arcam. Just the opposite of what should have happened!

What are your plans DVD plans now? Has the DV-27 ever been repaired to your satisfaction?

How would you compare the audio and video between the PMDT and DV-27?

BP

· Registered
172 Posts
I had eagerly anticipated the FMJ DV27 for months, and was sorely disappointed that I got a 'bum unit'. My store took it back and gave me full credit towards the trade-in PMDT. Since the Arcam never worked well, I have no way to compare the qualities.

More details: I wanted to upgrade from my POS Sony player so I could enjoy CD music again. I wanted top quality music sound, and tried to get this in a one-box player that I thought would be upgradeable to the digital connection for hi res audio. My advisor at Definitive Audio had been suggesting the PMDT after ver3 software (to get the PQ), but I could not afford a new one, so I got the Arcam. Three frustrating weeks later, with the PMDT on the counter and no Arcam to take home to replace the returned one, I walked out with the PMDT. It was imperfect, but easily corrected and looks absolutely fantastic on my Runco projector system. The sound is stunning.

steve

· Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Seems to me that there might be an alternative.

Correct me if I'm wrong but a digital signal is a digital signal...the DAC's are more critical than the transport. If this is true and I consider a lower priced DVD player (Panasonic) and use a stand-alone A to D converter or the DAC's in my pre-pro should I hear a difference in sound quality vs. a more expensive choice? Same should hold true for DTS CDs.

Of course the analog out is a different story and for that I would buy a more expensive dedicated CD player.

Any comments or thoughts?

Thx

BP

· Premium Member
6,405 Posts
There are a lot of folks who believe transports can make a difference in sound quality - only you can make that decison for you. Since the PMDT has no (audio) DACs you're evidently using the DACs in your Pre/Pro so testing external DAC's and/or different transports should be fairly straigtforward.

Personally, after looking around (again) I see nothing out there yet to replace my PMDT. Why these CE mfgr's keep releasing products with a known bug is beyond me and I am simply not going to buy a DVD player with a CUE problem. I do like the idea of a multi-disk player and I am hoping a multi-talented player comes along to replace my PMDT.

Still hoping the baby Ayre comes out and fits the bill but I guess Charles H. isn't visiting this forum any longer.....

1 - 20 of 122 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.