AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was attempting to sell my AE100 on Ebay and managed to keep myself from talking about it here. It is at about 280 hours out of 5000(under 6%), is post July so no power supply issues and has no dead/stuck pixels.

I paid around $1450 for it and got it new September 1st. Looking at what other auctions ended at recently, I figured $1100 was a pretty good deal, considering how it was fairly lightly used. One could say "well something better is only $1600" but that is 45% more money.

But I got no bidders, though someone local did contact me after hearing about it. He wants it for less so we're negotiating for something a little under $1100.

Does this sound low? The idea of it breaking under $1000 seemed like a pretty deep reduction in price. Opinions?

Reasons for changing:

-I'm an addict...just look at my post count :(

-I find myself watching more HDTV than DVDs so I could see benefitting a lot from 540 lines (and all my sources are VGA not component so it should look nice.)

-How my closet...err room is setup I could really use the lens shift feature.

Edit:

Forgot one funny auction story. About two days into it, I got an email from someone wanting to end early. He said I could close the auction early and he'd deposit a whopping $800 in my Paypal account...ignoring the fact I said I didn't want Paypal to begin with. I said he should go check out what size rear projection TV with progressive scan he could get at BestBuy for that price. (Hint: their RPTVs start at $1200.)

·
Registered
446 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I've decided to enjoy my AE100 for it's warranty period and then go shopping (May 2003). Who knows what great values we'll see then? Hopefully street prices will fall faster than AE100 resale but I kinda doubt it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I think 1100$ is a really good price. I was watching your auction closely to see at what price it would go for, but no one went for it... (I also own a AE100 and got the projector bug ;) )

But, you know what? I believe the timing is just not right. People are shopping for Christmas presents right now...

Try a couple of weeks after Christmas... I'm sure you'll find a buyer.

Later.

lpr

·
Registered
91 Posts
i got a broken ae100 for $200! Had a full warranty left..I sent it back to japan for $80 each way! Should have it back within a week or 2 ... Hehe.. got an ae100 for $360 total! Im thinking of selling it on ebay and going to the ae300 or sanyo z1

any recommendations?

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess you could view it two ways:

1. Christmas shopping means more people buying stuff like projectors on Ebay.

2. Used gifts for Christmas = weird?

I was watching the "market" for the last few months and was seeing used machines go for what I got mine new. It seems to have dropped a lot recently, most likely because of the AE200 coming down the line, as well as the Z1/1HD at slightly higher price points.

I actually just closed the sale tonight and the guy picked it up. My worry about waiting until 2003 was that the price would only drop more, and the newer stuff would have gotten only a higher penetration.

Basically I think I lost around $200 by waiting a month.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Cal,

I noticed you mentioned 540 lines, but I haven't noticed what you are looking at next. So, will it be the Z1 or the AE300? Or did you already get one?

--Darin

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Sounds like a good deal... I paid $2300US for mine legit in Canada. Maybe I'll get $2000 for it??? ;)

·
Registered
761 Posts
Why bother selling it??? I would keep it for use in the bedroom and blow a small (50 inch) picture onto the wall just to watch the eveneing news before lights out,... at that size picture any shortcoming that the AE100 might have would be offset by its small size and very small cost of operations.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It is in a bedroom (which also happens to be office and media room at the same time.) I only had a 9' distance from wall to wall, so the picture was about 60" wide.

I thoroughly enjoyed the picture and don't regret the purchase. At the time, it was a great value. Now, I look at different projectors so much, it isn't just a means to an end anymore :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.