AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A SW-44 has 4 lines in, basically two DualLNBs of two lines each supporting up to 4 STBs.

To get all of Dish Programming you need one of two configurations:

1) If no more than 2 receivers, get a Dish 500 with a TWIN LNB (roughly same cost ad a Dish 500 with 2 DLNBs), then for each 6000 you use a SW-21 (about 20 bucks) to "mux" in 61.5 on the secod dish.

2) If more than 2 receivers, you need a Dish 500 with 2 DLNBs, a SW64 (3 lines in, 2 from each DualLNB, including the second dish for 61.5). this is more expensive, harder to set up, but does support more than 2 receivers and gives more flexibility if setting up a hybrid Dish/DirecTV setup.

Tim

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
If that B&M dealer is quoting $199 for a SW44, RUN ! That's twice the MSRP !

MSRP prices (you can usually get things cheaper)

Dish 6000 $499

8VSB $149

Dish500 (2 Dual LNB) - ~$125 - $150

Dish500 (Twin LNB) - $125

Dish300 (Dual LNB, for 61.5 (I'm assuming you want HBO-HD and SHO-HD) $100

SW21 - $20 each

SW44 - $99

SW64 - $149

Installation would be in addition.

We would need to know how many other receivers you're planning on getting to give you a really good recommendation of what to get. Rudolpht's are a good starting point, however.

[This message has been edited by Scooper (edited 03-18-2001).]

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Here is an example of how a SW-44 can be used, in a two dish setup that will support all Dish & DirecTV programing, one receiver for each system. Look at diagram # 4D.

http://www.geocities.com/dbs_tech/dishes/dsa8900e.htm

------------------

"better living thru modern expensive electronics"

tm

tm

·
Registered
888 Posts
If you are a new Dish subscriber, you can get some really good deals online that include the 6000 receiver, dual lnb Dish 500, dish 300, an add on receiver and probably even the sw21 switch. YOu should be able to get this deal around 350 to 400 dollars or so.

Then add an 8vsb tuner for 150 and sw64 switch (only for more than 2 receivers) for about 150. This is a great deal. Unfortunately, I had a falling out with Dish Network even before I signed up for programming, so I went to Directv, only need 1 dish for HD with them.

Neal

·
Registered
261 Posts
A Dishnetwork dealer/installer worked up some numbers for a satellite and OTA antenna installation, Dish 6000, 8VSB modulator, two dishes, etc.,and in the middle of the list is an SW-44 switch at $199.95. I asked him about it, but, as a newbie who's technologically challenged, I can't say I fully understood what he was telling me. I haven't committed myself to anything, so if he's blowing expensive smoke at me, I can find someone else. So, do I really need one, and, given that I'm working with a bricks and mortar store that's going to do the installation for me, is the price ridiculous?

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
"....a satellite and OTA antenna installation, Dish 6000, 8VSB modulator, two dishes, etc....."

With "Two dishes" and a 6000, maybe one dish is a Dish 500, and the other is a 61.5 dish for HDTV. Maybe the guy meant to write SW-64, not SW-44. Could just be a typo!

------------------

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV/-DT.

"Not a REAL Engineer, but I play one in TV"

·
Registered
261 Posts
Thanks, everyone, for your replies. When I checked Scooter's list against what the dealer had given me, I found that the dealer was at or under what Scooter had suggested on every item except the switch. However, the dealer was also offering "free" installation. Plainly, installation is never "free;" the cost is just included somewhere else, in this case probably the switch. I'm not eligible for any of the current promotions because I don't want all that programming, just HBO and Showtime for the HD material.

·
Registered
42 Posts
If everything you need is HBO and Showtime HD, for my understanding, you only need one dish 300 point to 61.5 and no switch at all.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Bob,

Jim is correct. I'm not a Dish subscriber, but their HD channels come from the 61.5 satellite so all you need is a dish to point at it.

Of course, you are looking at about $500 or more for the 6000 receiver and about 50 for the single dish, give or take a few dollars.

And then an installation fee. Its gonna add up quick for just 2 channels.

·
Registered
261 Posts
If I go with E* -- still undecided -- I will be getting the HBO and Showtime packages, which include the HD channels along with several non-HD channels. The HD channels are at 61.5, but the others are not. HBO Comedy is at 110, and HBO Family (East) is at 119. So I will need two dishes. But you're right about the cost adding up quickly. My wife walks around the house constantly muttering, "It's an awful lot of money to spend on television."

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.