AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am in the market for a HDTV and I wanted one that was NOT projection. SOmething in the size of the topic. $$$ is no object. Plus I want something that will support newer technologies. Thanks, and links or posts would be helpful.

chef423

------------------

MTFBWY!

Get a X-Box, you wont be dissapointed!!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
btw, I want one with EXELENT resolution. None of this, "It barely has the resolution for a HDTV picture."

thanks http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

chef423

------------------

MTFBWY!

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Due to the limitations of the shadow mask (or aperture grill), no direct view set has the resolution to display HDTV in its full glory. I suggest the Hitachi 36SDX01s or the Sampo SME-34WHD5. Both really beg for a HTPC. Hmmm, if money really is no object, and direct view is a must, then there is only one choice: the 38" 16:9 Loewe Aconda .

-Abdul

·
Registered
31 Posts
How about the new Sony 40XBR700, If the XBR400`s are very sharp I think the new 40XBR700 will be nothing less !!!

Ruben

·
Registered
235 Posts
chef423,

Here is a suggestion since you say money is no object.

How about considering a flat panel plasma TV. They are usually about 42" to 46" measured diagonally.

I have seen a couple of these displaying a 1080i HD source from PBS and they absolutely blew away any of the direct tubes or for that matter RPTV's. These plasmas really make you feel like you are looking through a window or at a moving 35mm picture.

Most of the high end models are capable of handling 480p, 720p and 1080i. Another advantage is there is no geometric issues to worry about at all. Which tends to plague many of the flat screen direct tube TVs.

Yes plasmas are very expensive. Starting around 8k, But IMO you will not be disappointed.

They are often over looked because of their price and the fact that the contrast in the earlier production models was not that good. However the technology has improved dramatically, thus

contrast is no longer an issue.

If money was no object for me I would have bought one of these right away.

·
Registered
109 Posts
You might also consider the RCA or Proscan 38" 16/9 Tube (Same tube that's in the Loewe). These units have the Rca DTC100 built in. Street price $2500 to 2800.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Chef423,

Here is some information regarding a plasma TV made by

Fujitsu. MSRP has been reduced from $13,999.00

to $9,799.00. The street price I would imagine will be lower.

PDS-4222: Setting The Standard in Plasma Display Monitors

The PDS-4222 is Fujitsu's top-of-the-line Plasmavision Slimscreen display monitor. The ultimate-performance 42-inch widescreen (16:9) display delivers powerful, big-screen impact for high-end home theaters and many other consumer and commercial applications. Its high-resolution, 1,024 x 1,024 pixel arrays can display images at true 1080i and 720p HDTV resolution, as well as 480i and 480p SDTV signals. In addition, the PDS-4222 can display XGA, SVGA and VGA video output from a computer, enabling the display of computer graphics for video game fans and web surfers looking for extraordinary clarity and color definition on a big screen. The PDS-4222 utilizes Fujitsu's exclusive ALiS (Alternate Lighting of Surfaces) technology, which achieves 80 percent higher brightness and definition than conventional plasma displays to yield unprecedented clarity, sharpness and color accuracy.

For more information you may go to the source, Fujitsu.com

once you are at the site, click on USA then select products.

I hope this helps you.

[This message has been edited by wanthdtv (edited 06-01-2001).]

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to all for posting! I think what I meant was: "Money is no object, but I dont want to spend over 4,000." lol

I have looked at the RCA 38", does that one support all the HD outputs? 1080i, 720P??
http://www.hdtvision.com/rca_f38310.htm

this one here..

chef423

------------------

MTFBWY!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by chef423:
Thanks to all for posting! I think what I meant was: "Money is no object, but I dont want to spend over 4,000." lol

I have looked at the RCA 38", does that one support all the HD outputs? 1080i, 720P??

The RCA unit will convert a 720p signal to its native display -- 1080i.

You should know that this model was subject to a recall for a defective picture tube during the first several months of this year. Based on the most recent posts, it appears that RCA has corrected the problem. You should search the board. You will find, however, that many members have problems with RCA/Thompson's reliability. I, on the other hand, have been using the RCA MM36100 for the past two years and it has performed flawlessly.

Also, note that the RCA unit has a Directv plus reciever built in which probably adds about $500 dollars to its price. You didn't mention if you were a Directv subscriber or not. This would probably limit your option of subscribing to dish network.

I know you stated that you are not interested in direct-view sets but I do think you owe it yourself to look at the Mitsubishi WT46807. Its a 46 inch "tabletop" model that has recently had a serious reduction in price -- its being advertised in the Washington Post for $1999. Its reputation on the board is good. Its also a second generation (at least) model replacing the 46805 within the past year.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nope. I don't want anything in a cabinet. I surely don't want a projection HDTV. I am looking for something in the 36-42" range. 16:9 the will handle <b>ALL</b> the HDTV signals (1080i, 720p, 480i, 4xx), plus it has to be a true flat screen w/ a GREAT picture!! Thanks, any suggestions?

chef423

------------------

MTFBWY!

[This message has been edited by chef423 (edited 06-01-2001).]

·
Registered
20 Posts
You can get the Panasonic TAU 34" CT-34WX50 16x9 at Sears or Crutchfield. I strongly recommend going to an "Authorized dealer" like Sears or Crutchfield even though you can save a few hundred from other Web dealers.

I got mine for $3200+tax from Sears when they had a 10% off sale on everything in the store, I've seen it as low as $2700 (Not an Authorized Dealer) and as high as $3500 (Crutchfield, no tax, free "White Glove" delivery, I highly recommend). Crutchfield actually told me took look at Sears to see if I could get a better price... how's that for honesty.
http://www.crutchfield.com

·
Registered
235 Posts
In that case the Sampo SME-34WHD5 is the only direct tube TV with a 16x9 aspect ratio that can natively display formats 480i,480p, 720p and 1080i. All other direct sets are incapable of displaying 720p.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I agree, I considered a SAMPO but went with the Panasonic. 720P seems to be loosing support, and my STB automatically converts 720P to 1080i. This is not the thread for this discussion, but (when the time comes) I doubt any DVD players are going to support 720P and not 1080i.

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
What you really want in a 36-42" 16:9 set just doesn't happen to exist. You really want a Princeton Graphics 36+" 16x9 monitor, but again, that doesn't exist (don't know why they are focusing on 4:3). You have limited option (as above) for 34" sets doing 720p. If you can give that criteria up there are many 34" sets.

Tim

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Quote:
I am looking for something in the 36-42" range. 16:9 the will handle ALL the HDTV signals (1080i, 720p, 480i, 4xx), plus it has to be a true flat screen w/ a GREAT picture!! Thanks, any suggestions?
I think you ought to look at the Sony 36" 36XBR450 or the 40" 40XBR700. They seem to have quite an enthusiastic following (you can see a ton of user reviews at AudioReview.Com ). They sound like a good match for your requirements:
  • has a flat screen
  • automatically squeezes 16:9 material so you get all the scan lines when viewing it
  • displays 1080i natively
  • "upconverts" 720i to 1080i (or maybe 960i, I can't remember)
  • displays 480p natively
  • upconverts 480i to 960i
  • uses DRC ("Digital Reality Creation", fancy name for Sony's line doubler) which most people seem to think works great with a clean NTSC signal.

The downsides are:
  • is a 4:3 screen. But since it does the vertical squeeze for anamorphic material, you're getting pretty much the same thing that you'd get with a 16:9 screen, except with extra unused space at the top/bottom
  • some people complain about how DRC "pixelizes" the picture when it's trying to deal with a marginal NTSC signal.
  • doesn't automatically squeeze (must select squeeze manually) 16:9 progressive material (ie, from a progressive DVD player). Some people don't bother with a progressive player, letting the TV's built-in upconversion do the work.
  • when receiving a 16:9 signal that contains a 4:3 image (ie, an image that would appear with black bars on the sides on a 16:9 set), performs the "vertical squeeze" (because it's 16:9) leaving you with a small picture with black borders all around. At least this is true on the 36XBR400, I don't know if the 36XBR450 (this year's model) has a way to deal with this.
  • Because it's a direct-view CRT, the shadow mask limits the resolution of the screen to around 7-800 horizontal pixels, well under full HDTV resolution. Whether this makes a difference to you will primarily be determined by how close you want to sit to the screen (ie, how much of your field of view you want the image to fill).

[This message has been edited by Sean Nelson (edited 06-01-2001).]

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Sean, I have a KV-32XBR250 right now, just put it in the paper for 1200.00(has 40 mos. on a full warranty left on it)

I want a true 16:9 with a very high resolution, one that will handle all the digital signals. Any other suggestions?

chef423

------------------

MTFBWY!

·
Registered
756 Posts
I've seen most of the direct view sets out there, and they all look pretty darn good. The one I haven't seen is the SAMPO, however.

I believe, eventually, most networks will transmit both 1080i and 720p, dependent upon what they're showing, movies or sports.

The plus of the SAMPO is it probably comes close to showing true 720p which is a huge plus for 720p viewing. But, you'll need to get a STB that passes through 720p and that will cost you another $500 (Panasonic STB).

Also consider the quality of the line doubling. You want to avoid getting an external doubler 'cause that'll cost you another $500.

Unless money is a factor, I would suggest going with a 16:9 set. While the 4:3 sets are fine, they are a $1,000 less, but simply do not compare to the 16:9's out there.

My suggestion is the SAMPO ($2800), Panasonic STB ($1000) and a progressive scan DVD player ($400). That would be one heck of a little system.

On the other hand, a nice 4:3 set doing 1080i ($1700), the DTC-100 ($450) and a DVD player ($200) isn't exactly a poor system, either.

Happy hunting.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Given your specs, you have to go projection. Mediocre front projectors and rear projectors blow away the best direct view sets in terms of resolution. If you have not even seen a HD RPTV, you owe it to yourself to give it a look. These are not the flickery dim RPTVs from the previous century. Philips, Pioneer, and Mitsubishi have the highest HDTV resolutions of the RPTV's.

Also, you should question whether you really need the outline of your screen to be 16:9.

------------------

Abdul
Philips 60PP9601, join the Philips_HDTV discussion group

DirecTV, Hughes Platinum & Gold receivers

Sony SVR-2000 TiVo upgraded to 128 hours basic quality

HTPC: Duron 750, K7 Master, Radeon LE w/TV-out, Cybermail, Toshiba M1201B 5X DVD, IRMan

Kenwood VR-407 receiver & subwoofer (blush)

nOrh 4.0 marble center speaker, 4 more soon
s>

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.