AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to purchase the TH-50PHD5UY Panasonic TV.

I want to hear everything bad about this TV before I purchase it. PLease let me know all the downsides of this Plasma TV please.

I also have some questions.

1. What is the disadvantage of the business model vs the consumer model?

2. Does it have any type of copywrite protection hardware nonsense?

3. Is there a new model coming out to replace it anytime soon?

4. Is it HDTV(so it will look bad in normal Cable)?

Please let me know any negatives dealing with the panasonic TH-50PHD5UY so I won't make a mistake.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
1. No DVI input or DVI/HDCP. Warranty- Consumer--in home service vs. Commercial--carry in service. FCC- Class A vs. Class B. Lack of connections--1 Component, 1 S-video & Composite (only one can be selected), 1 PC.

2. See No. 1 above

3. The "6" is due out in about 1 month. Suggest you wait for this one.

4. Yes and yes.

Dave

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jonnydanger
Please let me know any negatives dealing with the panasonic TH-50PHD5UY so I won't make a mistake.

Thanks.
What cheridave said... :D

Plus:

Prices won't be too different so get either the new Industrial (Commercial) TH-50PHD6UY or the new Consumer TH-50PX20

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I just saw at the local CC last years's 42" panny PHD4P demo for $4269. Was actually less than the $4299 they wanted for this year's ED version, A20. Of course, this is quite a bit more than the commercial PW6UY, but it is 720p. Looks like I don't get DVI, though. Both my wife and I much prefer the narrow black bezel on the HD over the wide silver bezel on the A20. Any comments on this opportunity?

Geordon

·
Registered
891 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by goombawa
Another option if you're very price sensitive .... wait for the 6uy to come out and then get a 5uy reeeeely cheeeeeep. ;)
Yep I agree, we have already seen price drops in this model and based on past history from old models to new the old ones will go fast and then they are gone forever.

There are many owners here that really love this model as far as qaulity and dependability are concerned.

·
Banned
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a few more questions if you don't mind.

1. Is there a large price difference between the commercial model and the consumer model?

2. What new features are coming out in this new " TH-50PHD6UY or the new Consumer TH-50PX20? Is the new one have a lot of great new things?

4. What plasma would you recommend for standard cable(not HDTV)?

5. If you had a scale from 1 to 10. What ratings would you give the panasonic, Pioneer and fujitsu?

1 is the worst and 10 being the best.

Thanks.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jonnydanger
I have a few more questions if you don't mind.

1. Is there a large price difference between the commercial model and the consumer model?

Not sure, I am not familiar with the consumer model but someone here can probably tell you pricing on those.

2. What new features are coming out in this new " TH-50PHD6UY

or the new Consumer TH-50PX20? Is the new one have a lot of great new things?

New features TH-50PHD6UY include card slots for panasonic cards ( panasonic calls them blades) to optimize different connection scenerios -- This allows you to expand your input capability also a card for dvi-hdcp. But you are not interested in that so thats what good about the blades being optional. Without the blades it has the same connections as the 5UY and can still be a television without any cards needed. Panasonic is also boasting a higher contrast ratio but since there is not a industry standard measurement on contrast ratio I feel that is in the eye of the plasma beholder. I sure I am missing something but its Sunday. :)

4. What plasma would you recommend for standard cable(not HDTV)?

This is tough because you are talking 50 inch size and most of the high qaulity 50 inch are HD versions. If you were talking about 42, I would reccomened Pansasonc PWD6UY or NEC VP4A. For price points and dependability in 50 inch I would have to say the Pan505UY or wait for 6UY OR Pioneer 503CMX

5. If you had a scale from 1 to 10. What ratings would you give the panasonic, Pioneer and fujitsu?

1 is the worst and 10 being the best.

Because I do not have alot (none) of experience with Fujitsu I will leave it out. The things I do see about this model come from this forum...but it gets great ratings and some people here seem to love them.
In my experience based on my own personal feedback I would say Panasonic, NEC and Pioneer are my top 3 in any size. Then there is my personal favorite but we won't go there today :) I hope this helps and I am hoping someone else here will step in and give you a Fujitsu rundown and the internet policy rundown plus a consumer 50 evaluation..any takers??

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
My honest opinion is that the differences in PQ between the Fuji and Panasonic is negligible. But I do give the edge to Fuji for their "AVM" technology, i.e. better scaler. If I had to rate the three (Picture Quality only) I would rate them as follows:

Current Models Only--

1. Fuji-- 9+ (AVM gives it the advantage)

2. Panasonic-- 8.5

3. Pioneer-- 8 (Black Level issue)

Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.