AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a vsx92txh and I have it hooked up via HDMI to my bdp 1400. I was switching between surround types and couldn't tell a difference between DD and thx select2. I don't think 300 is recorded for DD HD or DTS MA HD. I couldn't get either of those icons to come on. I need some info, thanks guys.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Your 1400 needs to be set to "bitstream" output, not LPCM. Also I think I needs the latest firmware update b/c they had problems with. As far as the plain DD setting v THX, that is a matter of personal preference. DD will play the movie without changing the sound. THX will change it some, hopefully for the better, but maybe not. Try it and see. Read the 1400 thread in the blu ray section of avsforums.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Rather than letting people tell you which is better, listen for yourself. I swear, this is all Rush Limbaugh's doing with his ditto head army
You are allowed to think for yourself, really.

No matter what anyone tells you, it's your preference that counts.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
If you have HDMI/MPCM selected for your player, you will never see a TrueHD indicator. What player do you have, and how is it set?

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
also thx select 2 is spec the rec must meet to be classified ,thx will sometimes make

the voices easier to understand on certain movies.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/12913914

If you have HDMI/MPCM selected for your player, you will never see a TrueHD indicator. What player do you have, and how is it set?

I have a samsung BDP 1400 running into a vsx92txh elite via hdmi and then hdmi out to my tv. I have the player on bitstream and two other functions (can't remember right now) set to off. I think one was PCM upcompression???? What is MPCM???

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:

I have a samsung BDP 1400 running into a vsx92txh elite via hdmi and then hdmi out to my tv. I have the player on bitstream and two other functions (can't remember right now) set to off. I think one was PCM upcompression???? What exactly is MPCM??? Multi right?? And I liked the player on bitstream better than PCM. I had to crank the volume up alot higher on PCM.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
in reality I have found you should really always check both.

I have had surprises where for what ever reason some times there will be improvement with using the THX modes.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
MPCM = Multi-channel PCM.

As for why you have to turn up the volume, who knows. Could be a number of things. But having the player decode and send PCM or listening to a PCM soundtrack should be comparable sound quality to having the player send bitstream lossless audio.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:

So I should be better off with bitstream then correct???

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I would not say better off, no. Many people are perfectly content with HDMI/MCPM.

It shouldn't matter (for sound quality) whether the player or the AVR decodes the soundtrack, if both decoders work properly.

Some people have mentioned bitstream avoids any bass management issues. That could be true. There's a mess concerning LFE tracks that have been attentuated by 10Db when recorded. To be honest I have read conflicting reports on the exact situation. It's possible bitstream gets around those issues.

Bitstream also increases the chances that you can apply Dolby Pro Logic IIx processing or other processing. AVRs often don't seem to be able to apply processing to MPCM, which I can understand.

On the other hand, bitstream doesn't allow for in player mixing; for example you may not be able to hear audio commentary if you use bitstream.

In summary, they have their pros and cons

1 - 12 of 12 Posts