AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I asked this in the OLED forums to get a unbiased viewpoint as well.

From what I understand OLED is an infinite contrast ratio and LED LCD has a maximum of like , what 4,500:1?

Is the color reproduction similar?

Does something like color reproduction matter more than a contrast ratio?

Are there other aspects I'm missing of LG OLED TV's versus professional LCD monitors?

Any non-biased people?

Why would they have $5k professional displays if a cheaper OLED is better?
Thanks in advance.
- Andy

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
In the professional world OLED monitors are replaced by Dual Layer LCD monitors.. $30,000 and up. Problems with OLEDs is stuff like burn-in and HDR limitations.

Vincent Teoh takes a look at the Sony BVM-HX310 dual layer LCD monitor.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
From what I understand OLED is an infinite contrast ratio and LED LCD has a maximum of like , what 4,500:1?
Even my budget Samsung UN6900 has a higher contrast ratio than that. Rtings measured it at 6,107:1 and they measured the Samsung Q9FN at 19,018:1 with HDR (you can't turn it off). While I realize these are not for professional use, LCD contrast ratios can get pretty high.

·
Registered
7,068 Posts
In the professional world OLED monitors are replaced by Dual Layer LCD monitors.. $30,000 and up. Problems with OLEDs is stuff like burn-in and HDR limitations.
I don’t think that the studios are just going to ditch their 24k Sony oled. Even at the pro level there is going to be pros and cons or preference between this two.

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
I don’t think that the studios are just going to ditch their 24k Sony oled. Even at the pro level there is going to be pros and cons or preference between this two.
If Sony stops making them they have very little choice..
According a pro Forum '' Sony was not happy about the yields on OLED for the BVM monitors, and they were looking for alternatives that were more economical and would give them better light output for HDR. Apparently, the HX310 Dual Layer LCD (Sony's highest high-end monitor) is the answer to that question.'' Also the X300 OLED (Sony's previous highest high-end monitor) is discontinued.

·
Registered
7,068 Posts
If Sony stops making them they have very little choice..
I understand, but the studios are not just going to throw away a 24,000 dollars Monitor. The dual Layer lcd is a great display, there is no doubt on that. We need that tech for the consumers. There are few other brands of pro monitors that the studios choose over the Sony.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts